Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

First Cook with Santa Maria Grill Insert on PK360

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First Cook with Santa Maria Grill Insert on PK360

Got my new Santa Maria Grill attachment for the PK360 from Amazon. took about 30 minutes to put it together - fairly easy even though the instructions sucked. (Got much more info looking at a picture of it online than I did from the actual instructions.) Here it is installed:
    Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1071.jpg Views:	0 Size:	3.87 MB ID:	1279366
    For the first cook, I laid out a bed of B&B briquets across the bottom, put about half of them in a chimney and then spread the lit coals around the remaining ones. After a few minutes, I added some B&B post-oak I purchased from Buc-ee's and waited for everything to get going good and the flame to start dying out:
    Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1072.jpg Views:	0 Size:	3.66 MB ID:	1279365
    I decided to start with chicken for the 1st part of the 1st cook. I used a combination of bone-in/skin-on thighs and some boneless skinless breasts that I butterflied (this was a mistake as they got dried out too quickly). The chicken had been marinated about 6 hours in teriyaki marinade.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1073.jpg Views:	0 Size:	4.06 MB ID:	1279368
    Took them off after about 45 minutes, during which time I periodically spritzed with ACV/Soy Sauce/Olive Oil
    Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1074.jpg Views:	0 Size:	3.98 MB ID:	1279367
    Excellent results with the thighs, but breasts were dried out (should've not butterflied or should've taken them off earlier). No add'l pix, but I also did a couple of medium ribeyes (less than 1" thick - thinner than I usually like) - seared them 2 min/side with the grate all the way down and they were already medium rare to medium. Then did 2 lbs of Conecuh sausage with the grate near the top. Just let them go about 30 minutes - probably some of the best sausage I've ever done.

What I like about the PK Santa Maria Attachment:
    (1) Since you don't have to create a hot side and cold side to control the cook, you can use the entire grate and just control things by raising and lowering.
    (2) Really like the flavor from using large pieces of wood as the main heat source.
    (3) Love being able to more precisely control the heat by raising and lowering vs using a hot/cold side
    (4) The entire Santa Maria attachment lifts out of the grill without having to remove/unbolt, etc. so you can instantly convert back to the original style operation.

What I learned:
    (1) Even with the grate all the way up, you're cooking a lot hotter than it "looks". I finally had this figured out when I got to the sausage. I probably did most of the cook with the grate lower than it needed to be.

Can't wait to try grilling ribs (Dreamland style), wings, etc. and spend more time honing my Santa Maria Grill skills.
    Last edited by Perry Mason; August 22, 2022, 02:31 PM.

Nice review and pics, and that SM looks like a sturdy piece of equipment.

Comment

That sure looks like fun.

Comment

Oh, I gotta get that. Wanted to get a Santa Maria attachment for the Weber kettle, but don’t use the kettle all that much. I do use my PK360 frequently. Thanks for posting….just ordered it.
        Last edited by TripleB; August 22, 2022, 03:34 PM.

Comment

• RlsRls
          RlsRls commented
          Editing a comment
          Hey TripleB! Are you happy with your Santa Maria set up? Do you use it as much as you thought you would etc...? I'm a PK 360 iwner and am very tempted! However Up here in Boston don't know how practical it is with all our rain and snow and such! How do you cover it , when not in use? (It's not exactly an inexpensive accessory.)
          Thanks!

• TripleB
          TripleB commented
          Editing a comment
          RlsRls - It is a fun little piece of equipment, well made and works very well. I'm glad I own it, but I don't really need it. You lose a little bit of grill space. I've only used it twice and store it covered in my bones yard. One thing is that you can't close the grill top. So no indirect cooking. Again, a fun (yet a tad bit expensive) toy.

• NumbWhistle
          NumbWhistle commented
          Editing a comment
          I'm thinking about getting one of these for the 26" Weber Kettle. I figure if I lose a couple inches around the perimeter, I still have a 22" cook surface at a fraction of the cost of a full Santa Maria grill. Then if I become addicted by that, I can look a a larger offering and continue to dream about driving up north to get a Grillworks unit. :-)
          Last edited by NumbWhistle; March 30, 2023, 07:15 AM.

What a great setup.

Comment

Very nice!

Comment

I swear yall get me in more trouble than anybody! Trying to figure out how this gets in my budget!

Comment

I like it...hmmm

What are the dimensions of the grate and please provide pics of how it mounts to the PK

Comment

• Perry Mason
                Perry Mason commented
                Editing a comment
                So - I read that the original PK360 grate is about 1.9' x 1.3'. When you insert the Santa Maria grill, there's a flange that's about 1.5" all the way around that reduces the original grate size, so whatever that calculates out to be. It DOESN'T mount to the PK - it just sits on the same tabs as the original cooking grate - but the snug fit and the weight of the Santa Maria makes it lock in tight - so it's not the least bit unsteady. It has the feel of being permanently fastened.

That looks like a hell of a lot of fun right there

Comment

Nice! I've been kinda of simulating a Santa Maria style setup with my kamado by cooking at 3 different levels above the fire, but this may push me to get the one for the Weber kettle next time it is on sale cheap.

Comment

That looks AWESOME 😎👏💪

Comment

Looks nice! Your pics show the crank on the left. Can it be easily switched to the other side or do you have to specify when ordering?

Comment

• wrgilb
                      wrgilb commented
                      Editing a comment
                      I'm thinking you could just turn it around and mount it so the crank is on the right side.

• Perry Mason
                      Perry Mason commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Yes it can. Actually that's how it's supposed to be. I put it together backwards and was in a hurry to use it, so I didn't take the time to switch it back. A simple matter of reversing a couple of set screws and swapping from one end to the other.

Simple enough! Thanks.

Comment

Looks like fun!

Comment

Thanks for the informative review! I love the idea of a smallish Santa Maria grill. Unfortunately I'd also have to buy a PK gril But hey, you never know what you may find for sale on FB Marketplace or Craigslist

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                        No announcement yet.
                        Working...
                        X
                        false
                        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                        false
                        false
                        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                        Yes
                        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here