Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Plastic smell? Any advice appreciated.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

One more question you say you pressure wash it. Just with water, right (i.e. no soaps, etc)?

Comment

• johntarr
      johntarr commented
      Editing a comment
      No, I said I was going to try that, per a suggestion I was linked to here. I was not planning to use additives with pressure washing.

Quite puzzlin...

Do ya like cilantro, or does it taste like soap, to ya?
    Last edited by Mr. Bones; August 28, 2021, 08:12 PM. Reason: ficksed me sum spailin

Comment

• johntarr
      johntarr commented
      Editing a comment
      I like it

• Mr. Bones
      Mr. Bones commented
      Editing a comment
      Jus curious, cause folks differ on that, an it has been found to be genetic...was makin me idly wonder "Would I smell charcoal, or would I smell plastic?

After all ya been through, an replaced, I cain't even begin to imagine whence ya might be gittin a plastic smell from...

Most bafflin

Don't inhale, exhale only and you won't smell a thing.
    perhaps it is your fuel,

Comment

Or, catch Covid and you won't smell or taste plastic (nor steak, brussel sprouts, etc.) 🙄

Comment

One other idea is to see if the plastic smell goes away after the coals have been fully lit or ashed over or if it persists for hours.

Comment

• johntarr
          johntarr commented
          Editing a comment
          It persists.

Apart from the handles there isn’t much plastic. If the tubes a d vents are clear maybe pull the thermometer out?

had mine for years and never got a plastic smell. Mysterious.

Comment

Could it be the bolts holding the handles on burning the inside of the handle causing the smell

Comment

• johntarr
            johntarr commented
            Editing a comment
            All handles are off (see image).

Could it be the grill coating? I know the graphite color grills have a coating, do the silver ones? Coatings can produce an odor when heated.

Also, I've noticed with mine that if I start the coals in a chimney and they are really hot, then add them and then close the lid, even with all vents open, a really hot fire "chokes" down and produces an odor as the coals struggle in a lower oxygen environment.

Comment

• johntarr
            johntarr commented
            Editing a comment
            The silver ones do have a coating. Interesting about the coals choking down.

Since you stripped everything off, that only seems to leave the thermometer and the paint. What other options are there? I’d pull the thermometer, then do a really long burn at higher temps like 400-500, like a few hours adding a couple refills to keep it going.

That or check the bushes or other side of fence making sure your jealous neighbor isn’t burning plastic every time you try to cook on it trying to get you to throw it on the curb so he/she can have it.

Comment

• johntarr
            johntarr commented
            Editing a comment
            I’ve done several long burns, running for hours at > 600

• glitchy
            glitchy commented
            Editing a comment
            johntarr I apologize for missing you had already done that. I was to distracted by all the focus on Kingsford despite you trying multiple brands of charcoal 🤪 Hopefully, it is just the finish curing and all goes away soon.

• johntarr
            johntarr commented
            Editing a comment
            No worries, I appreciate all suggestions. But yes, I have tried brands other than Kingsford 😁

So, per advice here, I’ve cleaned out the grill completely, and have done two long high temp burns with B&B charcoal. Still getting the smell.

It’s definitely less, but it had seemed less and less with each long burn, even before the B&B. I’m pretty convinced I’m smelling the coating burning off.

Comment

Have you tried lighting the charcoal away from the grill? Is there a smell then?

At this point, I am assuming the plastic smell does not occur during the chimney phase but last for hours once dumped into the PK360.

Are you using the PK charcoal basket? Does the smell change if you do not use the basket?

Have you tried just burning wood chunks?
            Last edited by STEbbq; August 31, 2021, 05:56 PM.

Comment

• johntarr
              johntarr commented
              Editing a comment
              As I stated, there is no plastic smell from the charcoal chimney, even when it sits in the grill, so no need to try it separately.

Your assumption is correct.

I do not use the basket.

Have not tried wood chunks only, but have tried three different brands of charcoal now.

I have a PK360 and on occasion have smelled something similar to what you describe as burning plastic. It has never impacted the flavor of the food, but I do wonder what could be causing it. It doesn’t happen every time, but usually when I have the coals cranking hot with the lid closed. I use both lump and briquettes, but have not bothered to troubleshoot like you have. Keep me posted if you figure it out.

Comment

• johntarr
              johntarr commented
              Editing a comment
              Thank you for your comment. Good to at least feel like I’m not the only one. I’m about 95% certain it’s the coating at this point. I think it’s getting better with multiple long high heat burns, but it’s not gone. At this point just debating whether to live with it or return it.

• dshaffes
              dshaffes commented
              Editing a comment
              Well, my PK is a few years older and only happens occasionally. I love cooking on it for 2-zone and an occasional low n slow cook. Mine is staying in the rotation along with my Traeger, BGE, Texas Pit, and Weber Gas grill. I think your coating conclusion makes sense.

• DPirkl
              DPirkl commented
              Editing a comment
              I purchased my PK360 in Feb 2020 and have used it over 20 times since. Every time i use it is smell the plastic burning smell ... every time, high heat or low cooks. I have the teak side shelves. I also have a BGE and use the same charcoal and starting method for each and have never smelled it on the BGE. it Maybe the plastic handles, knobs, paint, finish. Today I contacted their customer support and they are sending me 2 replacement intake tubes. We shall see if it addresses it.

My last idea is to simply try a charcoal basket as that could separate the coals from the coating that seems to be causing the smell. Basically you want to replicate the smell-free chimney inside the PK. You could simply stick the chimney with coals inside the PK to see how that works as a test.

Otherwise, if you think you are burning off the coating and things are getting better with your current approach, then maybe continue until satisfactory.

Comment

You don't have it placed to close to your vinyl siding do you?

Comment

• johntarr
                johntarr commented
                Editing a comment
                Nope, nothing like that, sits right where I showed in the picture

As a last ditch effort, I’d pull the thermometer out (to avoid killing it) and drop 3-4 fully lit chimneys in there with all vents wide open. Getting to 800F+ will either finalize the coating issue or not. Some paints like to get cured hot so maybe that will finish it off?

since you’ve pulled everything plastic that seems like the only possibility is the coating

Comment

• STEbbq
                STEbbq commented
                Editing a comment
                This is a good idea!

• johntarr
                johntarr commented
                Editing a comment
                I appreciate it, but I've decided to send it back. There is staining that appeared on one of the tops after several high heat runs (briefly hitting 700) that won't clean off. It's not grease, I've never actually used that one for cooking food. It's like an imperfection under the coating came through the surface.

I've spent way more time and money (in charcoal) than should be necessary. Extremely disappointed with this grill.

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here