Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I hate you guys (PKGO)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just a few further thoughts (I'll add to them after I get a little more familiar with it and also try to use it as a smoker)...

1. It's well made, minimal things that can easily break. However I am a bit sad there's already scratches on the handle just from removing the protective plastic with my fingernail. BUT, at the end of the day it's a travel grill... I'm gonna do way worse to this thing over its lifetime.
    2. Weekday cooks are still gonna be done on my MAK. I may use this to sear a steak now and then, but when I add a gasser that will be the go to. This has nothing to do with the PK, it's just the nature of charcoal. Startup time to being able to grill the cheese was roughly the same as what my MAK would take to get to 550+. However, it's the tail end of the deal that makes this a weekend only cooker for me. The pellet grill, I burn only as much fuel as I need to, then shut it down and it's done. This thing, I feel like I'm wasting a little bit... not that these briquettes cost all that much, but still.
    3. I'm looking forward to doing a pork butt, but I'm not so sure how grease management works on this thing. I feel like it might roll out the front if you did something like a pork butt or wagyu burgers.
    4. The air management is super simple and everything moves freely. The charcoal responds extremely quick to any changes, which isn't something I remember when I was using a knock off brand kettle.
    5. I can probably bring this to work and feed 20 people burgers with the flip kit, I can definitely do a spatchcock chicken, and maybe even a medium sized turkey. Once I get more comfortable with temp management, I could even do a nice prime rib roast.

Obviously I'm more or less a novice to charcoal since I haven't used it in 20+ years, so some issues I have are gonna be on me.

Bottom line, this thing rocks. It's not super expensive when you consider the warranty on the important parts of the grill and it seems to have lots of versatility.

Comment

How are you breaking the grill and grates in?

Comment

• ItsAllGoneToTheDogs
        ItsAllGoneToTheDogs commented
        Editing a comment
        I coated the grates with cooking spray and just let 'er rip. PK didn't have any seasoning instructions in the manual which I suspect is because it's cast aluminum, and the only difference in materials with the regular PKs is the cooking grates so I figured I'd treat it just like a pre-seasoned cast iron pan.

A few things to note from todays rib experiment linked at the bottom of this post...

1. If you are gonna use it as a smoker, you probably need a chimney starter. I've tried 3 times now and can't get coals lit evenly.
      2. This thing needs to be on a flat level surface, or maybe even slightly unlevel towards the rear. With just a single rack of ribs and even with foil on the bottom I had grease dripping out the front vents. I have a super greasy cook experiment tomorrow and I'm debating on putting some loaf pans under the cooking grate.

Neither of these are issues if using the thing for camping, since you don't care if a little grease spills out and you probably aren't doing a super greasy smoked protein in the woods.

Comment

Just 'cause you can doesn't mean you should... but I wanted to throw a curveball at the PKGO. I got temps to hold at 240ish, and rotated this pork butt every 30 minutes. Went 4 hours before I chucked it on the MAK where it will finish. If I had a more square or smaller butt I think I could have gone the whole way but the edges on this guy were cooking too fast compared to the center.

So now I know a smoked butt is NOT out of the question for this little cooker. Just get one that works with the grill and not a massive one like I did this time

Click image for larger version  Name:	0511211017c.jpg Views:	0 Size:	5.37 MB ID:	1030166
        Click image for larger version  Name:	0511210953a.jpg Views:	0 Size:	5.49 MB ID:	1030167
        Last edited by ItsAllGoneToTheDogs; May 11, 2021, 09:29 AM.

Comment

I've done some fish and steaks on mine with good results. A few observations. Takes longer to get to 600F than my M16 and because it's much smaller, it's indirect area is affected by the direct area. It seals well and works well with a Meater+ in the steak or fish. It's a pain to empty the charcoal dust. May try lining with foil. The grill is well made and fits nicely on my Keter prep table. Overall a very nice product, but for most meals will use the M16.

Comment

• ItsAllGoneToTheDogs
            Editing a comment
            I just dump the ash into my firepit, but I hear ya... Also if it's not on a level surface juices run out the front lower vents. I thought about lining with foil, but I was concerned about blocking the air flow. Regardless of some minor issues, it's perfect for camping or a tail gate... it's also fairly capable for some home use. I'm gonna keep pushing it past its limits because it's fun, but it will get some solid realistic use around the house.

Nice little grill. I’ve been impressed with the quality and ability of the PK’s. I have an original and a 360. One thing I see on your GO is a port for probes on the backside. Wish my PK’s had that. Maybe that will be a future upgrade. Congrats on your purchase.

Comment

Sweet! They have one at the Ace Hardware close to me and it looks amazing. Congratulations and welcome back to the charcoal club.

Comment

• ItsAllGoneToTheDogs
              Editing a comment
              It's been a fun little grill so far. I'm thinking of fabricating something like a slow n sear for it to make charcoal management easier for larger proteins, but a few foil balls works decently right now too. You should grab one, the hibachi aspect for guests is quite fun too!

Surprisingly, Kick Ash basket does offer a basket with divider for this little guy. I bought one, but haven’t tried it out yet.

Comment

• ItsAllGoneToTheDogs
              Editing a comment
              I really dislike you right now... it's a bit pricey though but if they have a sale I think I might accidently purchase one

• FireMan
              FireMan commented
              Editing a comment
              Accidents do happen!
              We hate you to. 🕶
              Last edited by FireMan; March 7, 2022, 07:27 PM.

I am going to bump this thread. I am looking at the PKGO as a portable grill to take on trips and such and use at home during weeknight cooks.

How hot does the exterior of the grill get? Would it have to be on a metal table when cooking with it? We have a balcony that is made of wood and my worry is that it will char the wood floor or table and put me in the doghouse.

Thanks!
            Last edited by 1bottlerocket; May 27, 2022, 03:33 AM.

Comment

• ItsAllGoneToTheDogs
              Editing a comment
              I personally wouldn't use it on a wood deck, don't know how hot the underside gets, but I'd be more concerned about drippings or embers leaking out the front vents. I just use it on some crappy concrete pavers I have, it does have a small zone where it noticeably kills the weeds/grass but I wouldn't say they are burned.

Thanks for the information. Setting up with some cheap bricks sounds like a good idea.

Comment

• ItsAllGoneToTheDogs
              Editing a comment
              that would probably work fine, also I've seen some folks make a short lip of foil to keep grease from rolling out the front vents.

• FireMan
              FireMan commented
              Editing a comment
              Don’t ferget to hate everbody! 🕶

• Rod
              Rod commented
              Editing a comment
              ItsAllGoneToTheDogs I use a disposable half pan on the left side. I try to form it around the ribs or any other part of the inside that protrudes. That way I can keep the fuel all tidy on the right side and the pan catches all the drippings.

I have one and just place it on a silicon mat available from Amazon.

Comment

Ohhhhhhhhhh. . . The MCS, I'm. Trying. To. RESIST ðŸ§Ÿâ€â™€ï¸ðŸ§Ÿâ€â™€ï¸ðŸ§Ÿâ€â™€ï¸ðŸ§Ÿâ€â™€ï ¸ðŸ§Ÿâ€â™€ï¸

Comment

• ItsAllGoneToTheDogs
                Editing a comment
                I believe they are on sale this weekend....

• Murdy
                Murdy commented
                Editing a comment
                That's cold man

Thanks for all the replies.

Yeah--They're on sale this weekend, which is why I am looking to buy one. My main concern is where to put it once a cook starts. I am not planning any low-n-slow on it, mainly grilling food for dinner during weeknights. It will fit nicely on our patio but I am hoping to get it up off the ground.

Comment

• Rod
                Rod commented
                Editing a comment
                It's a fantastic cooker. It's perfect for the two of us. Chicken thighs, sausages, kabobs etc. Holds temp super well and can get really hot for a long period of time. If I remember correctly, during a two zone cook, I got it over 425 for over 2hrs and that was after a 1hr at 325 cook using just using KBB. I just wanted to see what it could do going full bore.

• Rod
                Rod commented
                Editing a comment
                I just wish I could find a SS grate for it. I hate cast iron grates. GGs is an option, but they just sit on the stock grate.

• ItsAllGoneToTheDogs
                Editing a comment
                just buy a small bbq mat and cook on a table top?

I went ahead and placed my order today for the PKGO to take advantage of the sale and free shipping.

The silicon mat and an aluminum pan sound like a good solution to protect the wood and I am going to try that first. This is my first new grill in about seven years so it is pretty exciting.

Thanks for all the input! I will report back once it arrives.

Comment

• ItsAllGoneToTheDogs
                Editing a comment
                can't wait to see what you do with it. It really is fun to try and force it to do things it's not really meant for. Also, I found I prefer lump charcoal with it. I know people say it burns hotter but I was able to keep it under 250 and for long duration. With normal charcoal I think it burns out too quick for the small area you have to use if you're trying to do low and slow with a large item.

The intent is to have a small grill that is quick to light where I can cook meals during the weeknight or take on a short trip. I will be curious to see how it works out too. It looks like a nice portable grill.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here