Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Slow 'N Sear Kettle Grill Review

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Slow 'N Sear Kettle Grill Review

I have been using the SNS Kettle grill for a couple weeks now and wanted to share some of my first impressions.

Click image for larger version  Name:	20200717_180444.jpg Views:	0 Size:	642.5 KB ID:	892552

I love all the features on this that differentiate it from the kettle grill. Having the thermometer probe port and fan port in it are awesome. I hate drilling holes in my Weber Kettles so having those already on there with the covers is awesome.

Having the top vent and thermometer on the same side is awesome as well. The thermometer is closer to the cooking grate than a Weber so it is pretty accurate. There is generally maybe a 5-10 degree difference between what my grate thermometers and the dome thermometer on this grill. With Webers it is usually a 20-40 (or more) degree difference.

Click image for larger version  Name:	20200718_114108.jpg Views:	0 Size:	511.1 KB ID:	892557

Click image for larger version  Name:	20200718_120200.jpg Views:	0 Size:	455.3 KB ID:	892553

The lid bale and side table are also great additions. I have two stainless steel performers I have never cooked on because I didn't really think I would use the table but I love having this table on the grill. It is great for holding a tray of meat, thermometers, tongs, etc. Having the Easy Spin grate is nice too.

Everything went together well and everything seems very sturdy so far. No real wobble in the legs, the lid fits snug, the ash catcher is easier to remove and put back on than my kettles, and I can't really see any flaws in the paint. I have only had it a couple weeks so I have no idea how it will be in 2-3 or more years but right now it is solid.

So far I have cooked some smoked queso, tri tip, a pork butt, a brisket (using the Billows), some chicken wings, a random hunk of sirloin, and probably some other stuff I have forgotten. I know it isn't anywhere near a scientific test but for the long brisket and pork butt cooks this grill seemed to hold temps a bit more steady than the Weber kettle. Again, there are dozens of different factors that come in to play there and it is just my quick observation.

Click image for larger version  Name:	20200718_171120.jpg Views:	0 Size:	307.3 KB ID:	892554

Click image for larger version  Name:	20200724_133507.jpg Views:	0 Size:	249.3 KB ID:	892555

Click image for larger version  Name:	20200724_121636.jpg Views:	0 Size:	313.8 KB ID:	892556

For the long cooks and the low temp parts of the reverse searing I totally closed the bottom vents and just used the fan port for airflow and it worked like a charm. Again, just my observations but it seemed easier to control the temps that way.

Overall I am a big fan of what the SNS folks did with this grill. They took a great kettle concept and added in most of the features kettle fans want. I was expecting this grill to feel a bit more rickety than the Weber kettle but it feels very solid which is pretty great for a product just coming out of the gate trying to compete with someone who has 60 years in the market.

If you have a Weber Kettle I don't know if you necessarily need to rush out and buy one of these too but if someone is looking to get a good backyard charcoal grill that is versatile and well made the Slow 'n Sear Kettle would be right up there with a Weber in my opinion. It is $115 more than the Weber Premium Kettle but the added features could be worth it. It's closest comparison is probably the Weber Performer (the one with the small side table) but with the added fan ports, thermometer port, better airflow, etc. I would say buy the SNS Kettle instead.

If you want to read a bit more: Slow N Sear Kettle Grill Review

And here is a video I put together showing some of the features of this grill:

I am sure Max or one of the other staff will be putting up a more thorough review of this grill at some point and I am looking forward to reading that. Maybe they will pick up on something I missed.
    Last edited by JoeSousa; August 7, 2020, 01:13 PM.

I bought one also. Unfortunately mine arrived a couple of days ago with a paint chip on the inside of the bowl. Pretty bummed. They are sending me another bowl, but I was wondering if I should go ahead and use this one since the inside of the bowl is going to get coated in gunk anyway. Click image for larger version

Name:	20200805_153733.jpg
Views:	1072
Size:	84.1 KB
ID:	892599

Comment

• Razor
      Razor commented
      Editing a comment
      Get some hi-temp spray paint. Spray a q-tip and use that as an applicator. You’re welcome.

Great review! Yes, Max has one and is putting the finishing touches on his review too. I'm anxious to read his impressions as well. Looks like a great grill that fixes some minor quibbles with the Weber. Much like new cars & trucks have Bluetooth, WiFi and large touch screens, this adds some modern accesibility options for modern pitmasters. I want one but I also have 2 of the larger Weber kettles and the 2 smaller, and my wife definitely does not give me her blessing!

Comment

• Panhead John
      Panhead John commented
      Editing a comment
      Huskee I wrote some comments below, but, how will I know when the review is done and where will I find it? Would it come in an email? I’m considering getting one depending on how it cooks. Thanks

• HawkerXP
      HawkerXP commented
      Editing a comment
      The product review section on the free side. https://amazingribs.com/ratings-revi...-buying-guides Panhead John

• Huskee
      Huskee commented
      Editing a comment
      Panhead John It should be really soon, and we usually will announce new reviews here in the forum when they're posted to the free site. Max took the last week off, but I suspect that review is just around the corner once he's back.

How is the paint finish? In your video it looked like there were a few spots where paint was thin and metal was showing.

Thank you for the review.

Comment

• JoeSousa
      JoeSousa commented
      Editing a comment
      Old Glory The paint on mine is pretty much flawless. I know there have been a few people with some paint issues but not on mine. Might just be the lighting on the video?

• Old Glory
      Old Glory commented
      Editing a comment
      JoeSousa thanks good to hear. It looked like the paint was thin where the handle was welded to the kettle.

• HandsomeDave
      HandsomeDave commented
      Editing a comment
      The paint on the bowl of mine is very thin. There is a coat of black paint, primer maybe, that the grey is covering. The black is showing through in a number of places. The lid seems better. They are shipping me a replacement bowl so we will see how that one looks.

This hurts me because it seems I don’t need one.

Huskee I can’t expend the MCS Credit on something I almost already own. Hashtag Stand with Huskee.

I would own this in a heartbeat if I didn’t own two kettles and SnS and drip pans etc....

Comment

• USMCCrashCrew89
      USMCCrashCrew89 commented
      Editing a comment
      I’m glad I’m not the only one going "I don’t need another kettle" over and over again to convince myself of that fact. The SnS one does look pretty cool though.

Wrapping up my review now.

Comment

• JoeSousa
      JoeSousa commented
      Editing a comment
      Max Good I haven't really had an issue. I tend to put my meat naturally towards the right hand side of the grill anyway so the lid doesn't really get in the way for me. Never really thought too much about it. Probably one of those things I have just naturally adapted to.

• Max Good
      Max Good commented
      Editing a comment
      Panhead John The fan blades are shorter than Weber's and unable to reach as far upward to clear ash from the kettle bottom.

• Panhead John
      Panhead John commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks Max Good Not a dealbreaker for me then, as I’ve always finished my kettle ash cleaning with an old paintbrush anyway. I get as much as I can with the blades, then finish brushing upper ashes down into the holes of the Weber.
      Last edited by Panhead John; August 23, 2020, 10:32 AM.

I'm like several of you: I really want this but I don't need this - I don't even have a kettle. I have a PK-O, a KBQ, a kamado, and a trailer mounted offset stick burner. Honestly, since acquiring the PK and KBQ, I haven't used the kamado much (although it is still my favorite way to smoke pork belly burnt ends). The big offset is used sparingly for larger cooks - a few times a year.

Comment

• Mosca
      Mosca commented
      Editing a comment
      For the last few years I’ve used my kettle over my kamado by about 4:1. But I recently started using the kamado for things I used my kettle for, like steaks and burgers and dogs, and honestly it’s about the same. No preference for one over the other.

I’ve got the Weber 22” Master Touch and always had a few quibbles about it, but have always liked it a lot. Now I’m really impressed with what they’ve done with this Slow n Sear Kettle! One thing that wasn’t pointed out was the location of the lid cradle. This is much better than the Weber’s! Which is in the back and makes you either almost reach over the fire to set it in the cradle or walk around it to place it in the back. Being off to the left side is way better and easier! The temperature gauge and vent locations is a big improvement also. As well as the 4 legs vs. 3 on the Weber. I had to go and buy me a detachable shelf for my Weber, and I’m always having to take it off and on when I use it. I like that the SnS is built in. As he pointed out also, the SnS ash catcher looks to be easier to remove and replace than Weber. In my opinion SnS has definitely raised the bar and Weber needs to do a lot of catching up! Now, all I need to do is read Max’ review to see how it cooks and works in the real world. Can’t wait!
    Last edited by Panhead John; August 22, 2020, 11:57 AM.

Comment

• Max Good
      Max Good commented
      Editing a comment
      The SnS Kettle is equivalent to Weber's Performer Charcoal Grill 22" not their lower priced models on three legs. Performer is on a cart with four wheels, has a fold down shelf on the right and sells for $280; same as the SnS Kettle w/o the SnS insert. Regarding the Weber Performer cradle location, as you face the grill from the front, the cradle is on the left side. https://amazingribs.com/grill/weber-...l-grill-review

Well.......even though I’ve got a Weber Kettle, I just now went through AR’s website and bought me the SnS Kettle! Too many features it has that my Weber doesn’t. When I get it I’ll just take my Weber to Mom’s house and use it when I visit. Bad news though, it’s on back order and won’t ship till Mid to late October! 😡
    Last edited by Panhead John; August 22, 2020, 03:11 PM.

Comment

• joeeless
      joeeless commented
      Editing a comment
      I have been 'given permission' to get myself the SnS Kettle for my birthday (and yes, even at my age and after being married for 53 years, I need permission). I am a little disappointed to hear of the back order issue but from all that I have read, it should be worth the wait. I am looking forward to reading Max's review and hope that will not change my mind for me

• SheilaAnn
      SheilaAnn commented
      Editing a comment
      Back ordered? Boooooo! I’m getting ready to order one!

• Panhead John
      Panhead John commented
      Editing a comment
      SheilaAnn I wrote this post almost 2 months ago. They’re back in stock and you can order now. I got an email from them a few weeks ago.

Here ya go SheilaAnn Remember, you can order with or without the SnS insert.
    Attached Files

Comment

• SheilaAnn
      SheilaAnn commented
      Editing a comment
      Panhead John thank you! I checked my credit card and I have enough points racked to buy the grill AND a cover! So excited! Would you know if AR will get credit if I say I am a Pit Member?

I deleted my reply just now because Huskee just answered your question on the other post. He gave you a link to use for AR credit.

Comment

SheilaAnn AR gets a little credit if you use our link to buy from SnSGrills: https://snsgrills.com/?afmc=amazingribs

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here