Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Where Are The Competitors for the MB560/1050?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Where Are The Competitors for the MB560/1050?

Happy owner of the MB560 here.

However, I guess I thought given the success of the smoker, I would have expected more competitors to show up by now with a similar gravity-fed charcoal offering at say under 1k. But, so far, crickets? Not even any teasing for smokers under development.

As we've noted, there's plenty of solid areas for improvement in terms of parts quality etc. so seems like a logical next step. Am I too optimistic about the ability or desire for competitors to duplicate this package?

I would love to see such an animal. That said, I wouldn't hold my breath for it too much. Masterbuilt is the king of low cost mass market smokers. I can't think of anyone else out there that has the market potential and economy of scale to produce a gravity fed charcoal smoker for under $1000. Could Camp Chef, Grilla, or some other company with the electronics and blower know how from their pellet smokers come out and translate it to the charcoal gravity fed? Sure. Will they? Doubtful, as they are probably selling more pellet smokers than they can handle right now.

Comment

• ofelles
      ofelles commented
      Editing a comment
      yes

• Bkhuna
      Bkhuna commented
      Editing a comment
      When you get a brand new MB that is broken right out of the box and they ask you to send it back you know you're talking to the worst company in the world.

Product development takes time. Even if a company said 'wow, that's a good idea but we could improve it' they would need to think through the business case (would OUR customers want this, would they pay $N, would this hurt our sales of other products) and then they need to design it, prototype it, etc.

If someone is doing this, I'd not expect it until 2021 at the earliest. My candidate for someone to do this? Weber. They own huge mindshare in the charcoal grilling market.
    Last edited by rickgregory; September 2, 2020, 01:35 PM.

Comment

• ofelles
      ofelles commented
      Editing a comment
      and yes

• dtresca
      dtresca commented
      Editing a comment
      Agreed on Weber!

Yeah, agreed on the time scale for product development. I want other folks to put pressure on MB to make continuous improvement as well.

Weber does make sense, but how long did the Smokefire take?

Comment

I'm hoping for the same thing. I'd love to see Weber jump in the mix. I'm willing to wait for a competitor to come along. I just can't bring myself to buy the MB. It's an awesome concept and I have friends that love them, I'm just willing to spend a little more for better quality.

Comment

• Steve R.
        Steve R. commented
        Editing a comment
        Same here. I'm sitting on the sidelines waiting to see what comes next. I was happy to see a MB560 in the store recently, but then I was put off by how flimsy it seemed. I'm pretty sure I had metal lunch boxes as a kid that were sturdier, and that doesn't even seem to be their biggest downfall.
        Last edited by Steve R.; September 2, 2020, 02:30 PM.

There are some proven quality units out there for more money. But then, I am a believer in "You get what you pay off"
      https://myronmixonsmokers.com/enthus...rcoal-smokers/

https://www.assassin-smokers.com/gra...lated-smokers/
      http://www.southernqsmokers.com/smok...avityfeed.aspx
      There may be more but these are some I found while looking for my Cabinet unit.

Comment

• Huskee
        Huskee commented
        Editing a comment
        These are different, they are smokers not grills. The MB is unique because it can be both.

• ofelles
        ofelles commented
        Editing a comment
        Huskee Duh, you're correct. My bad.

Not sure if there's a patent issue like with Traeger and the first pellet grill or not. If so it could be 20yrs, not sure how those laws currently affect that sorta thing. Gravity-feed is not new, but their application of it is. If not, I FULLY expect other makers to come out with their versions as soon as they can, it's too good of a system for them not to with the law's blessing. I bet there's been several boardroom meetings at the various grill & smoker makers' headquarters discussing this.

I still love the MB Gravity despite its flaws. I would love to see a version with these flaws fully addressed. And stainless steel grates. #castironisforpansnotgrates

Comment

• Polarbear777
        Polarbear777 commented
        Editing a comment
        I got replacement SS grates for my 1050. Same depth as aftermarket grates for the smokefire. Tons of those available. May have to cut a panel to width.

I just have to wonder if MB has a patent on this... if not, like Huskee says, the idea is very good, and you would expect someone to copy it eventually.

There may be something else at play. Let's face it - a lot of folks are lazy. About everyone I know around these parts has a gas grill. A lot less have charcoal grills, and even fewer have smokers of any sort. I think the reason pellet cookers are doing well is that they are the gas grills of smokers - pour in a bag of what looks like Purina rabbit chow, and clean out a little bit of ash if it builds up in the fire pot. Almost as simple as using a gas grill.

Charcoal grills and smokers, as well as offsets, have a lot more ash to clean up, and you always get your hands dirty when dealing with charcoal. The MB gravity fed doesn't solve this. I look at the market for gravity fed charcoal as for those who already like and use charcoal, and just want more automation.

Comment

• Jfrosty27
        Jfrosty27 commented
        Editing a comment
        +1

• Polarbear777
        Polarbear777 commented
        Editing a comment
        The MB is easier to clean and reload than anything else using charcoal I’ve used including kettles etc.

• STEbbq
        STEbbq commented
        Editing a comment
        I am seriously spoiled on the reloading for the MB560 coming from a PBC. It is nice!

I have wanted a gravity fed smoker for years. The cost has kept me at bay. I can only imagine the cost of a quality built GF smoker with all the electronics, fans, etc. it would be outrageous.

Comment

I'M seeing a bunch on sale for 350 now, I wo der why that is?

Comment

• Huskee
          Huskee commented
          Editing a comment
          Masterbuilt Gravity? Used?

• Polarbear777
          Polarbear777 commented
          Editing a comment
          Geez at 350 I’d almost consider getting a backup for parts.

• tenphases
          tenphases commented
          Editing a comment
          ive seen a ton of "brand new in box" on marketplace that look legit. Not in stores though.

i see that Char-grilla has a gravity fed pit now

out the 980....list at 650....the concept is a lot like the masterbuilt....

Comment

A lot like? It is practically a copy. $650 for 980 inches of space plus a nice front shelf is not bad. It seems like they reinforced the hopper as well.

Professional grills and smokers. Seriously hard working grills.

Comment

• Polarbear777
            Polarbear777 commented
            Editing a comment
            That is almost an exact copy. Even part of the description seems the same. I guess MB must not have had a patent. Or maybe they are owned by the same conglomerate?

• Polarbear777
            Polarbear777 commented
            Editing a comment
            Copied right down it on to the "gravity" nameplate design on the front of the stand.

• bbqLuv
            bbqLuv commented
            Editing a comment
            Add looks very good, but give them a year or two, to work out the flaws.

Interesting on the Chargriller brand. They are sold at Lowes and Home Depot, right? Wonder who owns them? I also think we will see others coming out with this option.

Comment

One Masterbuilt is too many. I'll never give those people on more cent. Hands down the worst customer service.

Comment

Given the size, it is closest to the 1050 but $150 cheaper. Weighs 213 pounds compared to the 1050’s 203.

Honestly, makes me wonder a bit what shortcuts they took to undercut the MB build.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here