Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Weber Smokey Mountain 18 or 22

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks to all for input!

Comment

22 is what I would go with. You have to cut ribs or roll them up to fit on the 18” WSM, and do tricks to fit a big brisket on there - the 22 will hold such things with ease.

I’ve never wanted a smaller grill or smoker_

Comment

• HawkerXP
        HawkerXP commented
        Editing a comment
        or TV.

Okay, clearly no one else is gonna say so I’m gonna ... SIZE MATTTERS DAMNIT ... and yes, that’s what she said too!

Now, before you all get your mind too far in the gutter .... When I’ve been buying bbq’s my wife told me that I should buy the biggest, highest quality that I could afford so that I wouldn’t regret it in 5 days ... she also mumbled something about bigger is always better ... not sure what that means ;-)

anyhow, I bought the biggest Hasty-Bake and the biggest WSM I could buy and I have never regretted it.

I can cook the biggest brisket you’ve ever seen on the WSM without having to do anything awkward like bend it or wrap it. I can put 3 slabs of back ribs on it side by side with no issues. I can put a 20 lb spatchcocked turkey on it, no issues. I have cooked 4 pork butts without even a single space problem. I honestly haven’t even come close to a size problem on the WSM 22.

Looking at the space available on the WSM 18, I do not believe this would be the same ... the 18 would challenge me from the get go with how to deal with 2 or more racks of ribs. For $100 more you can buy a cooker that doesn’t require you to roll your ribs into weird circles

here’s some pictures on the WSM 22

16 lbs of brisket
      Click image for larger version

Name:	493CB5B6-7132-43B7-BE6F-433D0FA44168.jpeg
Views:	415
Size:	182.3 KB
ID:	864093

a whole bunch of beef ribs

Name:	022C5E96-32A1-4873-BE6D-2AB2F37C06CD.jpeg
Views:	381
Size:	247.1 KB
ID:	864094

Doesn’t that 8 lb pork butt look lonely?

Name:	E2E899E6-A6A0-4A5B-8857-B3513CEF63D8.jpeg
Views:	370
Size:	153.1 KB
ID:	864095

20 lbs of turkey spatchcocked ... try that on any other smoker!

Name:	EB34FBF1-2D4E-4124-958D-FE3E23406D16.jpeg
Views:	356
Size:	163.7 KB
ID:	864096

3 slabs of back ribs side by side .... again, try that on another smoker

Name:	4690C5AB-4056-4DFE-A6F2-29AF2EE04CBC.jpeg
Views:	422
Size:	220.6 KB
ID:	864097

Comment

Last thoughts, in case you’ve read the reviews on the public side about trying to maintain temps on the WSM 22 ... this honestly isn’t a problem. First, there’s tons of us on here with this smoker and we are happy to give advice and input on set up, temp management, etc. Second, there’s so many resources on the internet, that you will have a plethora of info.

The WSM 22 is the absolutely best big smoker you can buy for the money. Add some solid mods to it, especially some lavalock to seal the leaks, a new door, and a lid hinge and you are about to rock a smoker that can compete with any of the multi-thousand dollar bad boys out there. For a total price, all in, of about $550 with mods.

That, my friend, is crazy!

Comment

• hillbilly
          hillbilly commented
          Editing a comment
          Great info! Thanks for your input!
          Yea, seeing lots of upgrades for the WSM's. Have not really gotten any negative info so far. Looks like a 22 will be the next cooker at our house!

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here