Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

WSM hanging a turkey

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

WSM hanging a turkey

Hi all,

Wondering if anyone has used the Hunsaker rib hanger (or any other accessory) to hang a turkey on the WSM. It looks pretty solid, but that’s a lot of weight.

thx

I haven't done that. It looks interesting. But I've found that running the cooker hot and a spatchcocked turkey turns out really well.

Click image for larger version

Name:	32E3B66E-69F4-4CF4-A7F3-83A55635D619.jpeg
Views:	765
Size:	286.5 KB
ID:	852742

Comment

• ecowper
      ecowper commented
      Editing a comment
      Razor no water in the pan, full weber chimney of lit briquettes, vents wide open, I get about 340F at the top grate. I put the gravy under the bird.

• Razor
      Razor commented
      Editing a comment
      ecowper ok, that’s where I would use my Hunsaker vortex thing. I would pull the water pan altogether.

• ecowper
      ecowper commented
      Editing a comment
      Razor I don’t have the vortex thing :-) .... leaving the water pan means I’m still cooking indirect, just in the mid 300’s. And I love smoked gravy

I suppose it would depend on the size of the turkey, I don’t think there would be any issue doing a 10-12 lbs bird but I think you would run into issues with whichever end was pointed towards your coals cooking faster than the end that was in the dome. But then again, I’ve been wrong before.

Comment

• DavidEmpey
      DavidEmpey commented
      Editing a comment
      Thinking leg side down for that reason, but maybe just a bad idea.

I've only hung chickens with the weber branded sausage hook insert thing. Did 4 4lb birds in my 22" with no water pan. Ran the smoker at 350 and the birds came out great....but yea would depend on size of bird and what you have holding it

Comment

I’ve done it. I love the Hunsaker hanger, turns a WSM into a PBC. I did about a 12 lb one last Thanksgiving, had your use like 4 hooks in a double hook configuration. Only problem was it hung pretty far down into the cooker and caused the dark meat to get too well done. If I do it again I’d use foil on the bottom until the top got further along.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here