Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New to the Family - 18" WSM

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nice looking family. I am a big wsm fan - I have had one for probably 15 years. I was thinking about retiring it since I mostly use the kettle/sns now, and I want a pellet grill cause I am basically lazy, then boom - it turned out a perfect brisket. So it is staying...

Comment

Welcome to the WSM Family!

Comment

WSM is one of the greatest smokers out there. As much as I love my Hasty-Bake, the addition of the WSM 22 was outstanding.

PS ..... plenty of fun mods for a WSM .... A lid hinge is a must! Best single thing I ever did to mine.

I have my brisket method totally dialed in on the WSM .... wait til you do one on it!

Click image for larger version

Name:	965266E2-FA32-42B6-B8F6-4D0E3233CDEB.jpeg
Views:	300
Size:	145.5 KB
ID:	841772

Comment

• crazytown3
          crazytown3 commented
          Editing a comment
          I definitely see the value of that lid hinge. That is on the short list for sure.

• ecowper
          ecowper commented
          Editing a comment
          the other things I did, mod wise: Replaced the door and charcoal ring with Cajun Bandit, and ran lava lock seal where the main body and base come together.

Originally posted by ecowper View Post
        WSM is one of the greatest smokers out there. ...
        Yep. If I didn’t have my WSCGC, I’d still have one.
        And I still recommend it to anyone that will listen.
        Seriously...when friends, family, or friends of family, ask me which smoker I recommend...the WSM leads.
        I think it’s arguably THE best all-around smoker: great for beginners, great for "pros", fuel efficient, reliable, truly versatile, relatively inexpensive...and most importantly, turns out great food...what’s not to love?

Comment

• ecowper
          ecowper commented
          Editing a comment
          Dead on right .... even with a Hasty-Bake, I still want the WSM too

As you probably figured out you won’t easily be able to fit a full rack of ribs on there. I bought the Hunsaker value pack; https://www.hunsakersmokers.com/coll...ade-value-pack I use the vortex whenever I don’t use the water bowl. I like it for things like when making jerky. The WSM is a jerky making machine.

Comment

• surfdog
          surfdog commented
          Editing a comment
          I need to try making jerky one o’ these days.

I’ve seen some of my friends fail spectacularly...both in ovens & with dehydration machines. O_o
          Knowing them, I’m sure there was a fair amount of user error involved...but it still kinda put me off the idea.

OTOH...I like it and it seems to be around $430 a pound. LOL
          No longer have access to the WSM...but the WSCG seems capable enough.

Originally posted by Razor View Post
        As you probably figured out you won’t easily be able to fit a full rack of ribs on there. I bought the Hunsaker value pack; https://www.hunsakersmokers.com/coll...ade-value-pack I use the vortex whenever I don’t use the water bowl. I like it for things like when making jerky. The WSM is a jerky making machine.
        Added that value pack to my list. The hangers alone would be nice.

I hadn't even thought about making jerky with it yet........

Comment

• Razor
          Razor commented
          Editing a comment
          There’s a good recipe on the free side. I buy a whole loin and hang the slices with toothpicks between the grates so it all fits in one go. I use 200° for the first hour and then bump it down to 140° until it dries completely. This is where a fan controller comes in handy.

• surfdog
          surfdog commented
          Editing a comment
          The hangers are a neat option...
          Everything people love about the PBC, with the versatility/control of the WSM.

While not strictly necessary, it adds another option to your bag o’ tricks.

I have finished 2 cooks on the WSM now, both pork butt cooks, and both have turned out just fantastic. One of the first things that jumped out at me though was the charcoal ring/grate issue. After my first cook, I ordered a second charcoal grate, and then wired the whole she-bang together with some copper wire.

1st mod done. Next will be the 'handles' for the vents. Those things get hot, and adjusting them is a little tricky with gloves on.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_20200509_190107.jpg Views:	0 Size:	2.64 MB ID:	845424

Comment

Originally posted by crazytown3 View Post
          Next will be the 'handles' for the vents. Those things get hot, and adjusting them is a little tricky with gloves on.

Click image for larger version Name:	IMG_20200509_190107.jpg Views:	0 Size:	2.64 MB ID:	845424
          No kidding! I got a new WSM around the same time as you, and that is one negative thing I've noticed. Really my only complaint so far. I think have seen some mods for that.

I have heard that Arbor Fabricating has some other good stuff to help you modify your WSM including a charcoal basket and a minion starter gadget.

Comment

• crazytown3
            crazytown3 commented
            Editing a comment
            Yessir, Arbor Fabricating is on my list. I like their charcoal basket.

Congrats on the new addition! Hope the family is all healthy, fed, and doing well

Comment

I'm late to this game, but regardless, crazytown, you have what I have !!! Same Performer w/ a 22"WSM. Dude, you gotta do a brisket. They are KILLER on these things. Makes me look like a freakin pro. Weekend before last we did BOTH a pork butt and a 14 lb brisket. Started the brisket at 7:20 am, about 6 hours into it we put the port butt in. Bottom line , they both were AWESOME, and our pork butt bone looked just like yours.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here