Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Who gets the top rack? Brisket or Butt?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Who gets the top rack? Brisket or Butt?

Thinking of smoking a brisket AND a butt on my WSM for a family dinner the day after Christmas. Any issues doing this on an 18.5" WSM? I am assuming the beef should go on the upper rack? Anyone have experience doing this?

I have done chickens and pork ribs, pork butt and pork ribs, but never brisket and butt. Since the bottom rack tends to be a bit cooler, if you are running water in the pan, I always put the thing that I’m more worried about on top. Like chickens on top and ribs on the bottom, etc.

Comment

If one might drip on the other I wouldn’t want my brisket bark getting dripped on

Comment

Not sure about the WSM but many smokers run hotter on the top shelf so I like to cook the pork there. I don't mind if it drips on the brisket. Pork butts usually take less time than a brisket so you can let the bark on the brisket set a bit before putting the butt on.

Comment

• ecowper
          ecowper commented
          Editing a comment
          WSM is the same way. Especially if you fill the water pan

The butts will take the heat better so higher up they go. Some will worry about the brisket bark but I baste anyway so it would not matter to me and all that pork fat dripping might save me some basting time.
        Last edited by CHNeal; December 18, 2022, 06:13 AM.

Comment

I usually run my briskets hotter so for me, brisket on top

Comment

X2 butt on top, seems you do get more smoke on the top one.

Comment

Usually it was my little brother.

Comment

Everyone is saying the butt on top, since it can take the heat more, but I've done briskets up to 300F smoker temp and they came out fine (if wrapped after the stall). I personally feel better about beef juices dripping on my pork than having pork juices dripping on my beef, so I would tend to put the brisket on top, butt below. But that is just me.

I would monitor both hunks of meat with a thermometer if you have two probes available, and wrap them after the stall - that way they get done in a timely manner. Once wrapped, it won't matter which one is on top versus bottom.
                Last edited by jfmorris; December 19, 2022, 12:32 PM.

Comment

Pork Fat Rules! Pork on top, use compatible rubs or just Smokin' Guns Hot on both. I predict a delicious Christmas meal in your future, jsaniga!

Comment

• jsaniga
                    jsaniga commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Yes, the pork fat may not give me a firm bark on the brisket below, but I think I want it t finish first so I can pull it and then warm it in the oven & then bring the brisket up top to finish. The only problem will be if/when I want to wrap the brisket it will be on the bottom rack but I can wake somebody up to help me with swap-out. I would also rather not have both finish at the same time since I am also frying a turkey. Boxing Day protein festival!

I arrange my meat by what I want dripping on it. My pork shoulder is usually rubbed with MMD or my Mexican seasoning (for carnitas). Wouldn’t want either of those dripping on a brisket.

My brisket gets salt and pepper only, so it goes on top. Anything below it has S&P on it already, so no issues there.

Chicken always goes on the bottom, because…food safety!

Comment

• jsaniga
                    jsaniga commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I like your thinking, and spot on with not putting chicken over ANYTHING else.

Is there anyone that won't eat pork and if so how much do you like them?

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                  Yes
                  ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                  /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here