Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Tried the PBC hanging rack for WSM?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tried the PBC hanging rack for WSM?

I'm vacillating between a PBC and a WSM to ride shotgun with my new Weber Genesis gasser. I just saw the PBC Hanging rack for the WSM and it got me thinking best of both worlds?

Now you can Pit Barrel® in your Weber Smokey Mountain!  The WSM Hanging System by Pit Barrel® Cooker is a game changer for Weber Smokey Mountain fans.  The Weber Smokey Mountain hanging system easily locks into place on the top grill brackets. The Weber Smokey Mountain hanger system allows for increased cooking capacit

Anyone tried it/using it?

I have the Hunsaker rib hanger that I bought for my WSM 22" and now use in my Oklahoma Joe's Bronco Pro. Works great, as I'm sure this one does.

Comment

• Uncle Bob
      Uncle Bob commented
      Editing a comment
      Agreed. And Hunsaker makes one for the 18" as well that I've used on a standard Bronco. Added benefit of the ability to hang over the direct center if that's necessary for specific cooks.

I would imagine it's the "best of both worlds" .... I cook ribs and such flat and traditional!

Comment

No help from me, but this is the place to ask such questions. Wish you much success.
      Last edited by bbqLuv; September 23, 2022, 02:00 PM.

Comment

https://pitmaster.amazingribs.com/fo...818-pbc-or-wsm

I had the exact same question on a PBC or WSM several months ago, I asked the pit members and based on the above thread, I bought an Oklahoma Joe Bronco. It's the 18" not the 22" Pro. I have no regrets. Love the Bronco, it smokes on the grate, can hang 9 racks of ribs or chicken quarters and by turning the diffuser plate upside down, I can grill on it as well. I never saw a Bronco until I went to Academy Sports and saw them. I love having a side table and the hangers which are included. Short learning curve, fuel efficient and it holds very steady temps. You can get an accessory that allows you to hang meat and use part of the grate at the same time. Please read the thread, you have options. Whatever way you go, they are all great additions to your gasser. BTW, my other cooker is a Weber MT Kettle with SnS, Vortex, Cajun Bandit Roti etc. Enjoy your new cooker.
        Last edited by Purc; September 23, 2022, 06:24 AM.

Comment

When I was looking for my first smoker, I was choosing between the PBC and the WSM. The PBC just didn’t appeal to me that much because I wasn’t sure about hanging food directly over hot coals. I read and reread reviews but I just wasn’t sold. I didn’t even know about the Bronco until recently so that wasn’t in the cards. Ive never had food from a PBC so I can’t comment on it. I settled on the WSM and then I lucked out by getting a free one through my work.

I recently toyed with selling the WSM to help justify the potential purchase of the Weber Summit Kamado but ended up going with a kettle and keeping the WSM to still use. I’m considering adding the Arbor Fab charcoal basket and wheel set because I do enjoy it. In fact it’s going to get used today to make some back rib I stocked up on a few weeks ago.

and they’ll be done flat. Curious what you end up doing.

Comment

Looks good to me.

PBC, PBC, PBC!

Comment

I have the PBC mesh box and I’ve done brussels sprouts and I have done a little corn on the cob and lots of things in it, works great.
              WHAT HE SAID🔝^^^

Comment

I had an 18" WSM for over ten years, gave it away to a new guy starting smoking, it also justified me getting my Weber Kamado E6. BUT did I make mistake ? I always used my WSM with the water pan in place...loved the results I got. Now I am hearing about removing the water pan and using it as a "direct heater smoker". As Has anyone tried this mode and what is the taste difference ?

Comment

Over the years, I’ve bought a lot of smokers and accessories. I’ve got the PBC and WSM 18” and 22” with the Hunsaker rib hanger ( plus deflection plates) for both. Was the WSM with rib hangers better than the PBC…..not really. Both about the same. Was the WSM with rib hangers and heat deflection plates a waste of money….no. BBQ and grilling are my hobby, so I’ve enjoyed the process.

The beauty of the PBC is you cannot really regulate the temp. You can a bit, but not much. I use my PBC basically only for pulled pork. PBC would be cheaper than WSM + Rib hangers.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                  Yes
                  ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                  /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here