Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Other Fuels (besides Kingsford Original) on the PBC

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cooking some chicken right now with Weber's charcoal on the PBC (https://www.weber.com/US/en/accessor...s/briquettes-1). Looking forward to the results. Will post. Weber's briquettes do not have any grooves for air which I hope is not a problem. Some smoke at first but then the briquettes burn without smoke...just heat.

Note: I got these briquettes at a local hardware store for $21/bag. Weber's site lists the MSRP as $15/bag. I am happy to support a local business but...these briquette will hopefully induce an angels' choir when the cook is done.

UPDATE:

This stuff is still burning 6 hrs in. impressed.
    Last edited by colin; March 26, 2018, 06:29 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by stickbit View Post

d) Think I need to get a kettle...but then not sure the gasser will ever be used again...maybe in a pinch haha
      You'll still use it stickbit , at least I still use mine. Just not as often. But in the wintertime especially, it's still a great place to cook a tray of bacon and sear off meats. I love using my WSCGC for quick kettle duties but the cleanup takes longer than using my Summit gasser. When it's cold outside, I often opt for the gasser for quick cooks with quicker cleanup.

Kathryn

Comment

• Potkettleblack
        Potkettleblack commented
        Editing a comment
        Sorry to come to this two years later, but as always, you've said the things I need. With the OJB, the other cookers aren't getting a lot of play yet this year, but when it gets cold, I think the Pellet and the Genesis will get their time in the (cold winter) sun.

I haven't tried it but thinking of reverse searing some meats (like STEAK!) by smoking them slowly on pbc and then getting a cast iron skillet raging hot on my gasser and finishing it there...getting a full crust on both sides. going to experiment...i know i can accomplish this on a kettle from the videos i've seen ....charcoal will get plenty hot. i'm thinking the gasser can do this as well with a cast iron skillet. will be fun to try it out!

Comment

• lebowski888
        lebowski888 commented
        Editing a comment
        I have put rib steaks in the pbc till 110 degrees. then finished them on a cast iron grill insert coated with a bit of bacon fat... in a gas grill till beef was 130 degrees. Amazing

stickbit , I reverse seared that way for a long time until I got my WSCGC and now my Joule.

I use a cast iron griddle (flat surface) on my gasser for the sear--the temp gets up to about 700°F , so pork chops are seared with 30 seconds per side (light sear is best so as not to dry the pork out) and steaks get about 2 minutes total, flipping every 30 seconds.

The flipped side of Grill Grates or the Grill Grate griddle also works great. I use that Grill Grate Griddle a lot for searing because it is so easy to clean up afterwards.

I use an infrared thermometer (from Lowes--but make sure you get one that goes up to 1000°F) to check the surface temp of the CI griddle.

It's a great combo, using the PBC for bringing the meat up to temp and adding just a bit of smokey flavor and the gasser for the sear.

Kathryn

Comment

Thanks fzxdoc - that's what I'm hoping for! I was going to ask about an infrared therm - they're cheap and wondered if it would be worth it to know the temp surface of the CI skillet. Can't wait to try it!

Sounds like regardless I still want a weber kettle...they're so darn versatile when you use a SNS etc...i would probably get a ton of use out of it. My list of toys to buy keeps growing!

Comment

i joined Pitmaster club today for this forum. I've been using my PBC for 4? years (it's the powder coated one). For now, I'm sticking with Kingsford for my cooks. I've occasionally used the Kingsford applewood and Kingsford hickory and I enjoy the results. I also like putting in about 10% hardwood chunks with the KO.

my future challenge is why I am here: In the fall, I'll be relocating to Guayaquil, Ecuador. I'm not clear at the moment if I will be able to bring my beloved PBC or if I will need to import a new one or build my own UDS using locally obtained materials.

In any case, this is what I know for sure: charcoal briquettes - of any brand - have been (so far) impossible to find in Ecuador. Importing is cost prohibitive.

In Ecuador, Natural Lump is easy to get and rather reasonable in price. This is what the locals use, any way. I don't know much about what hardwoods exist at the equator. The dominant trees seem to be banana and coconut palm!

I will be reading this forum in detail first and asking questions later. I'll be posting the results of my experiments after I relocate and settle in.
          Last edited by lebowski888; May 1, 2018, 12:21 AM.

Comment

Wow, sounds like you've got some fun times ahead, lebowski888 . I hope you can take your PBC to Ecuador. I've tried lump a couple of times in my PBC and find I like the reliability that briquettes bring. But I bet if you sort the lump and stack it wisely, you'll have no problem. Several folks here use lump in their PBCs, so go for it!

It's going to be interesting to hear how it works out for you in Ecuador, so keep us posted.

Best wishes,

Kathryn

Comment

Lump works great on PBC. I use B and B per Jerod. Both lump and briqs. Both maintain forever.

Sometimes, I get fluctuations if windy weather.

Comment

Hello from Germany,

Kingsford is not available here, at least I haven't found it yet, so I'll have to experiment with my brand-new PBC. Do you have any experience with coco briquettes? These are quite popular here, whereas PBCs are few and far between.
                Last edited by Nils Feller; May 12, 2018, 08:35 AM.

Comment

As I recall, coconut briquettes run pretty hot, have short burn times, and make a lot of ash. Plus the briquette content varies with country of origin and/or vendor. I recall one PBC user here burning coconut charcoal in his PBC, though, and the cook (it was a short one if memory serves) went fine.

Here's one topic that talked about coconut briquettes, but not in a PBC. https://pitmaster.amazingribs.com/fo...onal-or-pillow

You could email the Pit Barrel Cooker folks and I bet they'd have an answer for you.

Let us know what you find out.

Best wishes,
                  Kathryn

Comment

I was a gas guy for many years until I bought my first kettle. I read about the different fuels available. When I ordered my kettle I also ordered some lump coal. That was fine but then I bought some Stubb's. Really like the stuff a lot. So many people use Kingsford so I thought I'd give that a try. Though it cooks ok, I can't stand the smell when I first light it up until it had completely lit. Also it produced a larger pile of ask.
                    on the other hand after trying a couple others. I prefer Stubb's over all the better choice and second I prefer Weber. Third Royal oak.
                    I'll never buy Kingsford again.

Comment

• JeffJ
                      JeffJ commented
                      Editing a comment
                      I hear you regarding Kingsford. Having said that, when it goes on sale 2 18.5 lb bags for $10 is awfully difficult to pass up. I can't find Stubb's or B&B but Weber we do have and I can get a 20 lb. bag of it for $12 at Lowe's. I do find myself using it more and more over KBB.

Originally posted by RichRybak View Post
                    Lump works great on PBC. I use B and B per Jerod. Both lump and briqs. Both maintain forever.

Sometimes, I get fluctuations if windy weather.
                    Rich - any tips about starting up the PBC using lump? How much do you put in the basket, how much do you light, etc....I'm curious I've heard from many they enjoy using it in the PBC. Thinking I want to give it a try

Comment

When using lump, I will usually "cheat" and use briquettes to start the lump (hey, since when is it a "law" to go lump all the way? ). I'll use 10-15 briquettes in a chimney starter, and sprinkle them evenly over the top of the lump/chunks already in the basket. Works great.

Lump usually produces a different experience than briquettes (assuming of course that it's quality stuff--e.g., I can't say much for Royal Oak lump). Since lump is a pure charcoal product, it behaves a bit differently, and the aromas it produces are sometimes worth the difference all by themselves.

Comment

Originally posted by lual View Post
                        When using lump, I will usually "cheat" and use briquettes to start the lump (hey, since when is it a "law" to go lump all the way? ). I'll use 10-15 briquettes in a chimney starter, and sprinkle them evenly over the top of the lump/chunks already in the basket. Works great.

Lump usually produces a different experience than briquettes (assuming of course that it's quality stuff--e.g., I can't say much for Royal Oak lump). Since lump is a pure charcoal product, it behaves a bit differently, and the aromas it produces are sometimes worth the difference all by themselves.
                        This is great, thanks! How about the temps and overall control? Doesn't lump burn a lot hotter? Is it harder to control?

Comment

No, in fact...I have found that lump seems to generally respond better (quicker) to changes in air flow.

stickbit, all my experience that I have described earlier has been in a PBC (i.e., a barrel smoker), and since I don't know what kind of cooking device(s) you are using, or how you control heat and air flow--your mileage may vary.

If lump is used in a more ventilated/open cooking situation (like grilling steaks), yes...lump can indeed get very hot. But since airflow in my smoker is well controlled, I don't have issues with excess heat just because I'm using lump in lieu of briquets.

To ensure that your early experiences with lump are not a disappointment, start off with a better brand...like B&B, or Frontier...and stay away from those brands that have received more mixed reviews, like Cowboy or Royal Oak.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                          No announcement yet.
                          Working...
                          X
                          false
                          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                          false
                          false
                          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                          Yes
                          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here