Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Other Fuels (besides Kingsford Original) on the PBC

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

curious if anyone has used royal oak briquettes with the PBC? If so, what's your experience like?

Comment

Lifting a quote from the first post on this topic, here's some info for you, UncleFester :

Royal Oak: (from David Parrish over on another topic here in The Pit)
      "I personally cannot recommend Royal Oak. I used to like it quite a bit, but the past several bags I've purchased had foreign objects in them. One of those objects was a rock the size of two human fists. In the latest bag I found a melted pile of plastic in my ash pile. Who knows what that was and how it made it through their manufacturing process... Next few times you cook with Royal Oak check your ashes. It would not surprise me if you found a few rocks or other materials leftover."

Having read this, I decided long ago not to try Royal Oak in my PBC. Perhaps others who have tried it will chime in soon.

Kathryn

Comment

UncleFester as far as briquettes go, I stay with kingsford. That's just the gold standard for briquettes.
        I don't think that there's anything better out there.

Comment

So Pit Barrel Cooker does a promo post on Facebook about using Royal Oak...and how its great in the PBC etc. which is very interesting as I really want to test out Stubb's (heard it was great) and / or Royal Oak...I'm not into all the crap thats in Kingsford. So that's cool, but what's odd is how until now (unless I'm crazy) PBC has always STRONGLY recommended only Kingsford original as that's how it was tested...other stuff and lump etc. all don't burn consistently, or too hot etc.

Comment

That is interesting, stickbit . News to me.

I've read here that Stubbs is not so great, but can't remember which cookers/smokers or cooking/lighting methods were used in those comments. I've always avoided using it, though, because of those several comments.

I do remember a post from David Parrish who said that his bag of Royal Oak had some foreign objects in it. Here's the link to his post: https://pitmaster.amazingribs.com/fo...0877#post20877

Kathryn

Comment

Yes, I found it very odd...and it seems Royal Oak really hasn't done much testing. Everytime someone asks about starting method, temps, etc. (because naturally we are all very curious) they respond 'we will be running tests and posting results and recommendations on the Royal Oak site' or something like that.

Comment

I use Stubbs, love the smell, love the 100% natural (assuming it matters, a tobacco leaf is also 100% natural and certainly isn't good for you). I've also always had my PBC run way hot even with the vent nearly closed. Reading everything here, seems like the Stubbs is to blame.

Comment

Could be McEDaddy, but could also be a leak around the lid of the PBC. A lid leak, even if small, can lead to ridiculously high pit temps, most especially at the beginning of a long cook.

Try setting the lower vent back to where it belongs and banging the lid shut with a rubber mallet. If the lid still leaks, try crimping a doubled 6 inch long length of heavy duty aluminum foil around the rim/lid seam where you see the smoke coming out. Be especially vigilant in the rim area above the rebars. That should seal up the leak and the temps should settle in at a sweet spot somewhere between 250 and 290.

After several cooks, enough gunk is built up under the lid rim that the PBC seals nicely and runs sweet.

And FWIW, some folks here report consistency and high heat problems with Stubbs. It has not always been a good choice for some. Try KBB as the PBC folks have recommended from the get go and see what happens.

Kathryn
                  Last edited by fzxdoc; July 16, 2017, 03:33 PM.

Comment

Its interesting reading different forums and seeing totally different reviews on charcoal for the pbc. I've read great reviews on Stubb's and Royal Oak depending on where you look. I've only used Kingsford Blue so far. Question for all - I wanted to pick up Kingsford Competition for my next cook but only ran across Weber briquettes...so I picked up a bag (was on sale so why not)

Any opinions on Weber briquettes? Thanks ya'll!

Comment

• hogdog6
                      hogdog6 commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Give it a shot. I got competition kingsford because it was on sale this spring having never used it before. For my cooks haven't noticed any difference. But with my PBC after being somewhat anal about following @Fzdoc lighting procedure I'm lazy and mostly just pay attention to food temps.

I have used Royal Oak and have never had foreign objects, and was as pleased with it as Kingsford, maybe better. Use it in my modified Weber Kettle and my PBC.

Comment

Throwback! I love it when this happens!

Comment

Originally posted by stickbit View Post
                        Its interesting reading different forums and seeing totally different reviews on charcoal for the pbc. I've read great reviews on Stubb's and Royal Oak depending on where you look. I've only used Kingsford Blue so far. Question for all - I wanted to pick up Kingsford Competition for my next cook but only ran across Weber briquettes...so I picked up a bag (was on sale so why not)

Any opinions on Weber briquettes? Thanks ya'll!
                        I've used Weber briquettes a few times this winter in my PBC. I wrote up my findings in this post:

As with most things BBQ, YMMV.

Kathryn

Comment

I used Weber briquettes in my PBC once. It was for a chicken and I had the lid cracked. I was pleased with the results.

Comment

The instructions on the Weber charcoal bag says to use "a few" igniter cubes under the chimney and dump after 20 minutes. Most of us I think use 1 or 2 cubes so have you tried 3? Since they are huge bricks maybe they're stubborn and need the extra firepower.

I'll be trying these in a couple days on my PK.

Comment

• JeffJ
                              JeffJ commented
                              Editing a comment
                              On the rare occasion I don't use the propane ignition on the Performer to light a chimney, I invert a compact chimney (holds about 40 briquettes), stuff in a sheet of newspaper and pour some rubbing alcohol on it. I repeat with another sheet. Do this and only 1 starter cube is needed.

Tried Weber Briquettes yesterday for a chicken cook in the PBC and I liked them. $12 at my Lowes. I am still partial to Royal Oak over KBB. Not sure of the rules for linking to other forums, but RO got very favorable reviews at https://www.smokingmeatforums.com/th...arison.262989/

Just not a Kingsford Fan and I have been using briquettes and lump for over 50 years.

Comment

• JeffJ
                              JeffJ commented
                              Editing a comment
                              I like Weber briquettes a lot and am using them more and more over KBB. Like you, they worked well for my last chicken PBC cook.

Announcement

Collapse
                          No announcement yet.
                          Working...
                          X
                          false
                          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                          false
                          false
                          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                          Yes
                          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here