Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Well.... Thanks To Y’all I’m Fixing Be Out $350. Plus 😡

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This is for Mom’s house? So mom is stuck with a gunky barrel when you aren’t around? I suggest a DoorDash account that you pay for.

Just poking at ya - but with that kind of wealth, thought you might splurge and get her some good eats.

Comment

• Panhead John
      Panhead John commented
      Editing a comment
      Uuh, I hardly think she’ll be using the PBC when I’m not there. She’ll be too busy painting the house and doing that remodel job in my bathroom.

• Troutman
      Troutman commented
      Editing a comment
      Yea I suppose it can double nicely as a TRASH barrel. Oh and the REBAR is a fine weapon to fend off stray cats. Man I’m starting to see the light, Hallelujah!!!!!

Panhead John I suggest you take a look at that PBC, it’s one fine barrel cooker

Comment

I’ve got the hinged grate. I only used it a few times in a couple years. The ash pan is nice, but I still foil the bottom. The turkey hanger is nice for whole turkeys. My favorite things on the PBC are chicken, turkey, tri tip, and meatloaf. The PBC gives a really strong grilled flavor, which I like on some foods but not so much on others. I prefer brisket, ribs, and pork butt on my kettle to get more of a smoked flavor.

Comment

Just do it & quit yer whinin. Get enuf hooks, cook, & show is what yer good fer. Enuf talk!

Comment

you don't need a dang thing but some bunch of hooks. turkey rod thingie is nice for turkey. i use baking twine to tie chicken legs in a chain - usually fit about 4 legs per chain depending size. you can fit a lot of chicken legs this way - probably 24 say on one rebar. leaves ya space for 4 to 5 racks ribs on the other. i don't use the grill grate much except for late cook wrapped roasts. order extra hooks or just get some stainless S hooks. they work, yo.

Comment

I had a PBC for about five years. The ash catcher plus hinged grate were all I needed.

Comment

Panhead John Another thing about cooking on a barrel is that you can toss your paper plates in the fire after dinner.

Comment

• Panhead John
                Panhead John commented
                Editing a comment
                I do that now anyway.

• Troutman
                Troutman commented
                Editing a comment
                Actually it’s better to save those greasy plates until the next cook, they make excellent fire starters

I have the split grate and use it fairly often. It is handy for hanging meat on the open side and placing a pot of beans or something else on the other side. You may end up using the grate more than you think. Have fun!

Comment

Panhead John somebody on here, can't remember who, said you have more money than brains. If so, my suggestion probably won't make sense. There is a definite "cult of PBC" here, and it is a good piece of kit for what it is. Add the ash pan that so many tout and you're nudging 400 beans. Personally I got rid of the little barrel thingie when I got the Oklahoma Joe's Bronco. It does everything the PBC does, already comes with wheels and an ash pan, plus a real lid seal and actual dampers to control temp the way you want it.............all for 300 beans. It does yield portability to the small barrel since it weighs about twice as much, so if that's important it is the single winning point of the PBC. Well, that and being part of "the cult".

OJB, OJB, OJB..............

Comment

• STEbbq
                  STEbbq commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Sales can be had on the OJB for under $250...

• fzxdoc
                  fzxdoc commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Not so much of a cult as just a bunch of happy Q'ers.

That said, the OJB is certainly worth a look. I think my PBC, Pretty Baby, is going to last forever (it's one of the original ones), but if it ever dies, I'll be looking to see what's on the current market, including any new PBC updates.

In the meanwhile, I'll keep enjoying my cooks on Pretty Baby, because we know each other so well.

Kathryn
                  Last edited by fzxdoc; March 28, 2021, 07:45 AM.

• Troutman
                  Troutman commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Oh Kathryn you know we’re just toying with you PBC fanatics. You know we love you despite your fanaticism.

A Bronco for 300 beans!? I'll take it!

Comment

• Clark
                  Clark commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Uncle Bob Since it is a Ford product, would those be 'Pinto Beans?'

• Troutman
                  Troutman commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Suuuuuweeeet !!!!!!

• willxfmr
                  willxfmr commented
                  Editing a comment
                  You'll soon find one dead on a road near you. I'm sure the owner will gladly be rid of it for the 300 beans, and then you'll just have to find a nice person with bowtie to tow it home for you.

You done chose well. Only necessary accessory is the ash pan. I have a turkey hanger and used it once. I’d rather spatchcock or split poultry in half.

The hinged grate is nice if you want to say do 2 racks or ribs and some wings or sausage or [shudder] veggies. I had one but it magically walked away ~2 years ago and haven’t really missed it or gave serious concern to replacing it.

Comment

Sorry, wrong thread....I’ve been working too much, no sleep.
                  Last edited by au4stree; March 28, 2021, 08:29 AM. Reason: Idiot me posted to wrong thread

Comment

• fzxdoc
                    fzxdoc commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Right church, wrong pew. Still, that's funny.

Kathryn

• HawkerXP
                    HawkerXP commented
                    Editing a comment
                    "Jokes" is one aisle over.

How much does your mom eat? Will she ever use the smoker herself?

I'm going to defend junior-sized cookers. They're lighter to move around, they use less fuel, being lighter to move around means they're easier to tip over to clean out -- and they cook exactly the same. Only the capacity is less but I've cooked two pork butts with room to spare, and if I work it right I can get three chickens. I *think* if I ever really absolutely needed to, I *might* be able to get two smallish turkeys in there.

Comment

• Panhead John
                    Panhead John commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Mom doesn’t cook anymore. When I visit I do all the cooking. It’ll usually be me cooking for us and a few neighbors, maybe.

Uncle Bob Thanks for the suggestion on the Oklahoma Joe Bronco. I read Jerod Broussard ‘s review of it here, as well as your extremely thorough and professional commentary here, on another post. It always means more to read commentary/reviews here than other places. You kind of feel like you know the person writing it on this site, and won’t get BS reviews like other sites. I read every word of your’s and Jerrod’s write ups. Extremely informative and detailed. At first glance on OJ’s website, I was impressed with what I saw, but to hear it from people like y’all, it was a no brainer. I’ll be picking up my new Oklahoma Joe Bronco at a Lowe’s near Mom’s this Thursday. Thanks again Uncle Bob and others here!
                  P.S. It was $299. at Lowe’s, but got $15. off by using my Lowe’s CC.
                  Attached Files
                  Last edited by Panhead John; March 28, 2021, 05:31 PM.

Comment

• RobertC
                    RobertC commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Best wishes for many great meals with your mom!

• Clark
                    Clark commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Panhead John Please enlarge the photo of the order. I can't quite make out the credit card number.

I just wanted to add a few things here about my decision. I was very close to ordering the PBC until I read Uncle Bob ‘s suggestion. I think I would have regretted buying the PBC if I’d have found out about the OJB later. And I’m sure the PBC is one fine cooker or so many people here wouldn’t have one. The additional features of the OJB made it a no brainer, for me anyway :
                  1. The fire management system. Having adjustable intake and exhaust vents is very appealing.
                  2. The portability of it, having wheels is a big plus for me. It’ll be stored in a shed in the backyard and used in the front yard.
                  3. Hinged lid and gaskets for less smoke leakage.
                  4. The shelf is a big plus as well.
                  5. Built in thermometer (I’ll probably replace it one day with a better one)
                  6. Ash pan comes with it
                  7. Build quality. I could be wrong but it looks to be thicker metal than the competition.
                  There’s a few more but anyway, I’m thinking I’ll be happy with my decision. (Sorry HawkerXP )
                  Attached Files
                  Last edited by Panhead John; March 28, 2021, 10:07 AM.

Comment

• Uncle Bob
                    Uncle Bob commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Panhead John OKJ also sells parts separately, for instance, if you'd like to have two of those shelves you can buy the extra, fits the same brackets as the handle shown. Enjoy your new toy.

OJB, OJB, OJB..............

• Panhead John
                    Panhead John commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Thanks Bob! Good to know. Academy sells these also, I might be able to pick up any additional items in the store, if needed. Anyway.......take this HawkerXP ......OJB OJB OJB. Man, that feels good. 😂
                    Last edited by Panhead John; March 28, 2021, 11:40 AM.

• HawkerXP
                    HawkerXP commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Don't apologize to me PH. I don't sell anything.

I just like saying PBC, PBC, PBC!

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here