Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Dilemma -- Ditch the 26" Kettle for Hunsaker Drum? HELP!!!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I traded a 26” kettle for a PBC for volume reasons but of course I still have a 22” and the Pk so...

Comment

Are you nuts, don’t ever get rid of anything q related....geez man, come on !!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Troutman View Post
        Are you nuts, don’t ever get rid of anything q related....geez man, come on !!!!!
        I’ll be the first to admit it... I am the odd man out in the sense that I hate having a backyard full of cookers. I much prefer to have ONLY what I need and will use on a very regular basis. Crazy, eh? ;-)

Comment

• Thunder77
          Thunder77 commented
          Editing a comment
          You are absolutely out of your mind. You must be immune to the MCS virus. 😂😂

• rwalters
          rwalters commented
          Editing a comment
          Not immune, trust me!!! I’ve been the dude with a backyard overflowing with cookers on more than one occasion. I guess I have just come to a point where I find greater satisfaction in keeping things minimal and simple :-)

Sifting through the replies in this thread, I am starting to think that holding onto the 26.75 kettle and not adding a Hunsaker (right now) is the better choice as the kettle truly is the Swiss Army knife of charcoal grills. To give up that for additional capacity... hmmmm, not 100% convinced at this point that it’s the better choice.

The feedback has been much appreciated

Comment

• MBMorgan
          MBMorgan commented
          Editing a comment
          Good decision ... and you’re neither the odd man out nor crazy.

• rwalters
          rwalters commented
          Editing a comment
          Appreciate the vote of confidence

• jfmorris
          jfmorris commented
          Editing a comment
          I think that is the right decision. Get a rib rack or hover grill to add more capacity to the kettle.... I do that routinely, and rotate things top to bottom half way through the cook.

Originally posted by JoeSousa View Post
        It is only permissible if you sell it to me.

Personally I love the versatility of a kettle. I have a bunch of 22s, a 26, and a Ranch. I love that I can cook low and slow, hot and fast, sear steaks, slap a cast iron pan on there and cook stuff in there, etc. Hard to get the same versatility and ease of use with anything else.

But the real answer is keep the 26 and get the drum too.
        How often do you use your Ranch, and what types of cooks do you tend to do on it? Curious

Comment

• rwalters
          rwalters commented
          Editing a comment
          Gotcha! Have often wondered what it would be like to have a Rancher sittin’ in the backyard.

• Huskee
          Huskee commented
          Editing a comment
          Lol JoeSousa I think the same thing every time I see those ridiculous trucks not being used as work vehicles. There's a couple in my extended family.

• Troutman
          Troutman commented
          Editing a comment
          Yup, Texas is chuck full of suburbanite F-250 with and without lift kits. Always kills me to see them all shiny and detailed. My favorite is to watch some little dude pop out of the cab. Now what kind of envy is that ?

I own a 22” Weber & a drum & would gladly sell the 22 w/SnS ............for your 26. Where do ya live & how much ya thinkin.

Comment

Originally posted by FireMan View Post
          I own a 22” Weber & a drum & would gladly sell the 22 w/SnS ............for your 26. Where do ya live & how much ya thinkin.
          After reading the replies... think I’m gonna hold on to it. You guys brought me to my senses

Comment

• rwalters
            rwalters commented
            Editing a comment
            It’s not for sale... 😜

• FireMan
            FireMan commented
            Editing a comment
            How about 450? 🕶

• rwalters
            rwalters commented
            Editing a comment
            Man, you’re really wanting it... lol.

I don’t think we live anywhere near each other. I am in northern CA. Here’s what I have invested in this kettle setup:
            Weber 26.76” kettle: $299
            Full set of GrillGrates: $130
            Medium Vortex: $30
            Slow n Sear: $160
            Easy Spin Grate: $110
            Weber Cover: $42
            Grate extender $50

Total: $821

If I were to sell, I’d most likely put it @ $500 firm. That’s pretty much the kettle/cover/SnS w/ everything else being free if purchased new.

For more capacity there's also the elevated cooking grate from Adrenaline BBQ. Got one myself. Just haven't dialed it in yet.

Comment

Keep the Kettle and get the drum. They are so different it is only logical that you have both.

Comment

I think this will solve your dilemma: Get a bigger back yard.

Comment

Originally posted by Rod View Post
                For more capacity there's also the elevated cooking grate from Adrenaline BBQ. Got one myself. Just haven't dialed it in yet.
                I actually have that very accessory arriving today... assuming FedEx doesn't mess up... lol. What do you mean when you say you don't have it dialed in yet? Is it that difficult to use? The guys that I have spoken with rave about it for how easily it provides more cooking real estate is needed. They simply rotate things around a couple of times during the cook to keep the cooking process balanced. Sounds easy peasy

Comment

• Rod
                  Rod commented
                  Editing a comment
                  rwalters The regular cooking grate and the elevated grate will cook at different temps. So if I'm at say 225 on the main grate I may be 275 at the elevated grate. That 50 degree difference will not always be the same as you get hotter or cooler. If I'm at 325 on the main I might be 350 on the elevated. That's what I meant about dialing it in. Trying to determine the best balance between the two.

• rwalters
                  rwalters commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Gotcha! Well, for what it['s worth, rotating things around once or twice depending on how much food you have cooking, should do the trick. Each portion getting to spend their fair-share of time in the higher temp zone. #balanced

I came to this late. Are you sure about the decision? I saw 350, I could go 351

Comment

Originally posted by klflowers View Post
                  I came to this late. Are you sure about the decision? I saw 350, I could go 351
                  Sorry, was just sold to the highest bidder at $352. Man, missed it by a buck 😢

Comment

• klflowers
                    klflowers commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Dangit!!!

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here