Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Knife Skills

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I’m with you. I can cut and dice things but I’m really slow (and careful). Probably wouldn’t make it in a fast paced restaurant!

Comment

Originally posted by Rfhd69 View Post
      I’m with you. I can cut and dice things but I’m really slow (and careful). Probably wouldn’t make it in a fast paced restaurant!
      I actually think the Food Network stuff showing pros dicing up an onion in 5 seconds is kind of harmful. A pro can do that because they prep a stupid amount of stuff and they've been trained. At home... I'm dicing a single onion, hell, maybe only half of one. Speed doesnt matter that much.

Also, they have really sharp knives.
      Last edited by rickgregory; May 22, 2021, 12:17 PM.

Comment

• Rfhd69
        Rfhd69 commented
        Editing a comment
        Agree

• bunky2021
        bunky2021 commented
        Editing a comment
        When I see the chefs on the Food Network chopping food at light speed, I just start crying and backing away from the TV. They make it look too easy.

Lots of great advice and recommendations here. The two best pieces of advice I can give you is: #1 The sharper the knives, the easier and safer they are to use and #2 Don't let your pride get ahead of your skills. Watching people with good knife skills just blaze through prep is awesome, but it will take you time to get there - just slow down and focus on the mechanics and then speed will come.

Comment

• hoovarmin
        hoovarmin commented
        Editing a comment
        Good words, Kemosabe

Knife skills? I don’t need no stinkin knife skills!
      Knife school? I don’t need no stinkin knife school.
      Ya juss pull out a blade & start cuttin, yessir! Who gives a rip that ya nick yerself onced n’ awhile. Juss cut em Dano!

Comment

Originally posted by Ed Blankenhagen View Post
        If you have a Sur La Table store near you, take their knife skills class. Class is about 2.5 hours and focuses primarily on vegetables since vegs are fairly cheap and the class doesn't cost too much. However, learning how to grip your knife and make consistent cuts is really important. You might try a local community college or local cooking schools also.
        Sounds silly but building knife skills is a bucket list item for me. My wife enrolled me in the SLT knife skills class...and then COVID happened and SLT shut down their store in Durham. But SLT opened another store in Raleigh, so I'm going to take it there!

Also wouldn't mind some coaching on how to properly sharpen my knives.
        Last edited by bunky2021; January 23, 2022, 07:23 AM.

Comment

rickgregory Food Network's WORST COOKS IN AMERICA does a lot of knife talk which one could view as educational -- at least in the first one or two episodes of each season. (Off the air, the contestants are probably given a little bit more instruction than what makes it onto the taped production) While not the same as a true class -- and edited a little bit for entertainment value -- there are some decent pointers along the way/

On the show, the hosts make it a point to stress "proper ways to hold a knife", and demonstrate over and over how to properly dice various vegetables. Repeated phrases like "slices, sticks, dices" help in terms of reminding of the cutting order to ensure proper knife cuts. Cutting an onion seems to be most of the contestants biggest nemesis. And cover your eyes when they try to slice an eggplant.

From a basics perspective, the overall show isn't a bad way to learn (or observe) some simpler cooking techniques that may not be immediately obvious or top of mind if you don't make those types of dishes often.

Comment

• rickgregory
          rickgregory commented
          Editing a comment
          Oh... my knife skills are fine. Not pro level. but technique-wise I'm fine. But I still don't like the emphasis on speed on some (not all) shows. My point above was that speed isn't important at home where you're dicing one, maybe two onions, a few carrots, etc. It IS in a pro kitchen when you might need to prep a case of onions.

• barelfly
          barelfly commented
          Editing a comment
          rickgregory Ramsay discusses speed and states for the home cook it’s not important. He stresses being comfortable with a knife and consistent cuts more than anything, as he does in Master Chef, and not to pummel herbs on the cutting board. He likes no green left on the board. Also watched him break down a salmon, which, I’ve done a time or two but nice to see how he went about it.

As for learning from mainstream TV shows, I pick up ideas, that’s what I really enjoy about most of the shows.

• rickgregory
          rickgregory commented
          Editing a comment
          barelfly - yeah Ramsay's actually cooking show (there's one for home cooks) are good. I didnt know he had a YouTube series... I'll have to check it out.

Here’s something I learned from cutting up whole strip loins and rib roasts: place your knife, make your cut, and don’t stop until it’s done. The more sawing you do, the more jagged your steak will be. For a roast that is at most 5” thick or so, one draw of the knife should do it. For a thicker roast, once in and once out should do it. Press hard and CUT that son of a gun.

This is assuming your knife is sharp, and freshly honed. If it isn’t, you have no business cutting that roast with it.

Comment

• rickgregory
          rickgregory commented
          Editing a comment
          And if you can't make the cut in one stroke, don't saw (you're dead on about that), but pick the knife up and repeat the stroke. If you draw toward you and the cut doesn't go all the way through, pick it up, place the knife like you just did, then draw toward you again.

• Mosca
          Mosca commented
          Editing a comment
          rickgregory The first one I did, I was trying to guess what knife to use, and I started with my boning knife. It was plenty sharp, but it wasn’t long enough and wouldn’t complete a cut. I switched to my brisket sword; the brisket sword is sharp, long, and doesn’t care if the meat is cooked or raw. I’d love to get one of those butcher scimitar looking things, but I’m not going to spend for a knife I’m going to use once a year.

• texastweeter
          texastweeter commented
          Editing a comment
          rickgregory a breaking knife?

While my knife skills are only adequate, I’m throwing down the gauntlet for best zester skills.

Click image for larger version

Name:	57FF0328-D2FE-40C5-931B-BD7559B66D53.jpg
Views:	305
Size:	111.6 KB
ID:	1347336
        This isn’t the entire orange peel but it’s easily 2/3 of it. I easily impress myself.

Comment

• CHNeal
          CHNeal commented
          Editing a comment
          While your zesting skills are formidable, Its the robe i find unmatched!

• WayneT
          WayneT commented
          Editing a comment
          That’s not just a ‘robe’ Clay, that’s an authentic Tipsy Elves jumper suit with a full, up/down zip. My kids are responsible for these kinds of wardrobe shenanigans.

• CHNeal
          CHNeal commented
          Editing a comment
          Wayne you just made my day! I’m sitting in my doctors waiting room ( nothing serious) and laughed so loud the gal came out from behind the desk to check on me!!

Interesting to see this topic resurface…
        I took a class several years ago…
        What I needed was the teacher to stop me from doing it my way and start doing it her way…
        As with many different tasks…. For me, learning a new skill consists more of breaking bad habits than learning the new techniques…

Comment

• WayneT
          WayneT commented
          Editing a comment
          That’s a fact. Old habits die hard but they can be euthanized.

• Washblue
          Washblue commented
          Editing a comment
          Us old dogs can learn new tricks! WayneT

Stumbled into another knife skills learning opportunity.

Some Williams-Sonoma stores offer culinary classes including knife skills.

As you probably already know, many Williams-Sonoma locations are located in larger malls or upscale shopping centers.

Comment

I my wife gifted me with a knife skills class held by a local bougie grocery store. Lots of hands on. P Has made a lot of difference, When I remember to use what I learned🙄. I recommend it if you can find one.

Comment

I recently purchased an OKJ chef knife.
            It's a nice design and is heavy which I like for better control.
            It arrives somewhat dull but I took care of that first thing...

Click image for larger version

Name:	20221128_190525_HDR.jpg
Views:	225
Size:	58.6 KB
ID:	1352134
            This will now be able to cut down a small tree...

Comment

Years ago, when I first started seriously cooking, I used the Slap Chop I bought while watching an infomercial after several glasses of wine. I thought it was the neatest thing. Then I broke it. Is I watched a few Youtube videos and a lot of practice. Years later I'm not half bad. Not a pro but not bad. I think the best teacher is being under pressure to get all your stuff chopped up because you have to feed a crowd.

Comment

• surfdog
                surfdog commented
                Editing a comment
                Years ago at a fair, a vendor was challenging people to chop an onion with knife vs his gadget. A friend with what I would describe as formidable knife skills took him on. The slap chop won, but not by a huge margin. As the vendor gloated that he had bested another challenger, my friend chimed in with, “Yeah, but mine are all the same size…and this crap knife is dull AF.” LOL The vendor looked stunned, everyone else laughed…and pretty much walked away.

I picked up "An Edge in the Kitchen (https://www.amazon.com/Edge-Kitchen-.../dp/0061188484) which has been extremely informative (if a bit niche)...and also grabbed a Ken Onion knife sharpener.

My wife still won't let me near her knife set...but MY stuff is sharp...

Comment

If you are in the North GA/Atlanta area, check this out.......Knife Skills 101 Hands On (cookswarehouse.com)

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here