Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

BBQ Dragon-Chimney of Insanity - any good?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

BBQ Dragon-Chimney of Insanity - any good?

So it nears Christmas time now, and it is double-discount week for Lowe’s associates (I am one), and I was trolling the website looking for fun things to buy my Weber kettle, and came across the Chimney of Insanity, and wondered i it lived up to the hype from its makers.

It seems like a good idea, coupled with the Dragon fan, it promises fully lit coals in under three minutes. Anybody have any experience with this combo? It looks like I could also cobble together something on my own that would do the same thing, pretty much.

I was thinking maybe I could use it as a high-temp focused source for Wok stir-fry. But then, there’s the Vortex, which looks like it might do that, but it seems it’s used for for indirect heat.

And then, I saw the OG Slow n’ Sear on their site was down to $39, so I ordered that. I’m getting a bit overwhelmed and confused, and hungry. Perhaps I should eat something. I know! Barbecue!

I have the Dragon chimney and it lights 80-90 briquettes in about 20 minutes whereas a full size weber chimney takes about 30 minutes. I don't have the dragon fan.

Comment

I don't have the chimney but do have the fan and really like it. I use it to speed up lighting all my charcoal/wood fires...I'm betting if you have both it and their chimney it would be a wicked combo!!

Comment

I love the chimney and fan combo. The fan may not be made the best as the first one broke, but they replaced it for free. Second one is going better. It gets charcoal hot and fast!!!

Comment

I had it for a while and with the fan it definitely lit fast and got things super hot. But the chimney lasted nowhere near as long as the Weber chimneys. Mine rusted out after a couple years. And the fan wasn't much better. The battery cover is a horrible design and the clips holding it break super easy if you aren't careful.

Comment

• ecowper
            ecowper commented
            Editing a comment
            I will agree that the chimney rusts out in just a couple years. BUt I live in PNW, I kinda expect that.

• JoeSousa
            JoeSousa commented
            Editing a comment
            ecowper I had it for two years in Florida before I moved back to WA so I'm sure that didn't help.

I have both the chimney and fan for several years now. I agree with the previous comments with the chimney rusting, but mine is more cosmetic and not rusted thru. It does start the charcoal in half the time but for what ever reason I rarely use it compared to the weber chimney. I have also used the fan to help start my bonfires faster.

Comment

The chimney of insanity with the fan works great for wok cooking. Though you need a little space between the wok and the chimney so he charcoal has room to exhaust so you either hold the wok or make a little rack to hold it there.

There was a little mention of cooking with a wok on the pod cast. Just thought I’d toss in my 1 & a 1/2 cents into the fray. Cast Iron was mentioned, it is not good for Chinese

note also that a spare empty chimney is also a great place to park a hot wok between food batches or if you need to much with the heat source.

Comment

• BBillFleet
              BBillFleet commented
              Editing a comment
              Wow, that’s an amazing link! It definitely has me buzzing on a similar solution, especially if I can use it as a wok burner too. Some improvisations and iterations will be in order.

And also, the SnS arrived today. I can’t wait to use that, although my wife has shaken her head at me, swearing that "if it’s a gift for the grill, then it should wait until Christmas to open it."

Comment

• HawkerXP
              HawkerXP commented
              Editing a comment
              Just don't tell her about the shop vac you got her before Christmas. It'll spoil the big surprise.

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here