Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Quality Cleaver that won't break the bank recommendations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quality Cleaver that won't break the bank recommendations

Good Morning!

The title kind of says it all. Thanks!

Heavy cleaver (meat cleaver)? Go to an Asian food store like 99 Ranch and get one from their cookware section. That's what I did and for something like $15 got a nice, sharp meat cleaver that I use to divide chickens in 2 and other things where I don't want to use my regular knives.

Light, Chinese cleaver (means for general use)... that's harder. What's your price range?

Comment

eBay. You can find an old one at a good price.

Comment

I have this on order. It's back-ordered until late April though. I ordered it after Kenji recommended it.

Click image for larger version

Name:	9185se9BYzL._AC_SL1500_.jpg
Views:	306
Size:	94.8 KB
ID:	997537

Name:	71ecJlKepPL._AC_SL1500_.jpg
Views:	304
Size:	50.6 KB
ID:	997538

Comment

I got one at a local restaurant supply store. It is a monster. It is similar to this:

Name:	cleaver.jpg
Views:	311
Size:	22.2 KB
ID:	997540

Comment

• JoeSousa
          JoeSousa commented
          Editing a comment
          I got one of those for Christmas. Heavy and sturdy. Almost feels like I need to take it to the backyard and chop some firewood.

• JCBBQ
          JCBBQ commented
          Editing a comment
          I’ve got a couple Dexters. Great knive. Very affordable

Not a bad place to start your browsing: https://www.webstaurantstore.com/search/cleaver.html

Comment

x2 for the dexter. Be sure what you're looking for though; the dexter shown above is for chopping through tough cuts and bones, a chinese-style cleaver (shown further above) is sharper but more delicate, used for chopping, slicing, prepping, etc.
          Edit: sorry just saw rickgregory said basically the same thing
          Last edited by Flavorsavor; March 1, 2021, 11:31 AM.

Comment

• klflowers
            klflowers commented
            Editing a comment
            When I bought the Dexter, there was a restaurant owner in the store. He told me one of his line cooks lost the tip of a finger to a Dexter. I almost put it back.

Name:	635724764858198258-AP-Spoiler-Entitlement-NYET5.jpg?fit=bounds&width=640&height=480.jpg
Views:	291
Size:	24.4 KB
ID:	997551

Comment

• Troutman
            Troutman commented
            Editing a comment
            Is that the grow'd up Beav !!!???? Awesome !!!

• ComfortablyNumb
            ComfortablyNumb commented
            Editing a comment
            bbqLuv Troutman That's Michael C. Hall as Dexter Morgan

• klflowers
            klflowers commented
            Editing a comment
            Dexter was the man. I used to watch that all the time.

Thanks everyone!

Comment

Originally posted by rickgregory View Post
            Heavy cleaver (meat cleaver)? Go to an Asian food store like 99 Ranch and get one from their cookware section. That's what I did and for something like $15 got a nice, sharp meat cleaver that I use to divide chickens in 2 and other things where I don't want to use my regular knives.

Light, Chinese cleaver (means for general use)... that's harder. What's your price range?
            Both heavy and light.

Price range? Ideally, South of $50.00

Comment

• rickgregory
              rickgregory commented
              Editing a comment
              For heavy, see my post. For light... unless you just really want one, they don't offer that much advantage over a sharp chef's knife so I've got nothing for you there.

• Attjack
              Attjack commented
              Editing a comment
              A billion Chinese cooks disagree.

Actually here's the real Jerry Mathers (aka the "Beav") today. Bit long in the tooth....

Comment

I picked up a good heavy cleaver for about $12 on Amazon. I use it only a couple times a year.

For a light cleaver, my sister gave this to me: https://lamsonproducts.com/collectio...etable-cleaver

It’s a little bit more than $50, but it’s a really nice tool.

Comment

Name:	5A4544A3-D798-4CCE-922E-251680705864.jpeg
Views:	259
Size:	267.2 KB
ID:	997793 I don’t use it often ... but when I do, all the neighborhood moms seem to quickly bring their kids and small pets into the house ... 😎 ...

Comment

• ItsAllGoneToTheDogs
                  ItsAllGoneToTheDogs commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I have the Shogun version and I really like it a lot, but that one is more suited to veggies or nothing more intense than chicken bones. I thought about getting this one as well, but I honestly would never use it.

I found this SOB in an old house on my uncles farm. No idea how old it is. However, you better believe this baby has seen A LOT of farm chicken necks. It is an absolute beast.....and I have two of them!

Name:	IMG_1042 copy.jpg
Views:	257
Size:	98.8 KB
ID:	997994

I would just buy this one. It is cheap and you are just using it to do rough work.

Name:	2127499.jpg
Views:	256
Size:	75.4 KB
ID:	997993
                I have an expensive Global Meat Clever that I use a few times a year. It looks cool on my magnetic knife strip, but to have a $160 clever is ridiculous, in retrospect.

Name:	IMG_1043 copy.jpg
Views:	259
Size:	92.7 KB
ID:	997995

Comment

• klflowers
                  klflowers commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Wow, that is expensive. But I saw lots of cheaper ones too, so thanks for the link.

• Spinaker
                  Spinaker commented
                  Editing a comment
                  You bet. I mean the Global one works great and it looks great, but you will be able to find much cheaper options. magnet is a magnet, it just depends on how nice you want it to look or if you want it to match your knives. klflowers

• klflowers
                  klflowers commented
                  Editing a comment
                  My knives don't even match each other. I have a mixture of some old Chicago Cutlery knives and some newer Victorinox and Hammer Stahl stuff. Heck, my wife probably won't want them in sight, come to think of it lol

Originally posted by MBMorgan View Post
                Not a bad place to start your browsing: https://www.webstaurantstore.com/search/cleaver.html
                That site might lead me down a rabbit-hole, from which there is no escape...

Comment

• MBMorgan
                  MBMorgan commented
                  Editing a comment
                  ... well ... there IS that ...

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here