Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Quality Cleaver that won't break the bank recommendations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• klflowers
    commented on 's reply
    My knives don't even match each other. I have a mixture of some old Chicago Cutlery knives and some newer Victorinox and Hammer Stahl stuff. Heck, my wife probably won't want them in sight, come to think of it lol

• Spinaker
    commented on 's reply
    You bet. I mean the Global one works great and it looks great, but you will be able to find much cheaper options. magnet is a magnet, it just depends on how nice you want it to look or if you want it to match your knives. klflowers

• klflowers
    commented on 's reply
    Wow, that is expensive. But I saw lots of cheaper ones too, so thanks for the link.

• Spinaker
    commented on 's reply
    Global. But it is too expensive. I got it like 9 years ago as a late night purchase. https://www.amazon.com/Global-Cutler...4803448&sr=8-2

klflowers

• klflowers
    commented on 's reply
    What is your magnetic knife strip? I think I would like to get one of those.

• klflowers
    commented on 's reply
    Dexter was the man. I used to watch that all the time.

• JCBBQ
    replied
    America’s Test Kitchen comparing cleavers.

Leave a comment:

• JCBBQ
    commented on 's reply
    I’ve got a couple Dexters. Great knive. Very affordable

• ItsAllGoneToTheDogs
    commented on 's reply
    I have the Shogun version and I really like it a lot, but that one is more suited to veggies or nothing more intense than chicken bones. I thought about getting this one as well, but I honestly would never use it.

• blarsenlarsen
    replied
    Don’t really use a meat cleaver much. Prefer the control of poultry shears for tougher parts but sharp boning knife gets job done most of the time. I really like the OXO shears.

Picked up a Chinese chef knife during past few months and love using it too. The blade is square (vs curved) so need to adjust technique a bit but it’s so fun to use for any vegetable prep. It works well too for boneless meat. The blade is notably thinner so not well suited for some of tougher tasks that you might use a cleaver. I’d highly recommend for anyone looking to try something new out.

Leave a comment:

• MBMorgan
    commented on 's reply
    ... well ... there IS that ...

• Skinsfan1311
    replied
    Originally posted by MBMorgan View Post
    Not a bad place to start your browsing: https://www.webstaurantstore.com/search/cleaver.html
    That site might lead me down a rabbit-hole, from which there is no escape...

Leave a comment:

• ComfortablyNumb
    commented on 's reply
    bbqLuv Troutman That's Michael C. Hall as Dexter Morgan

• Mosca
    commented on 's reply
    Which is why I don't have one. Matching handles isn't worth $160.

• Spinaker
    replied
    I found this SOB in an old house on my uncles farm. No idea how old it is. However, you better believe this baby has seen A LOT of farm chicken necks. It is an absolute beast.....and I have two of them!
    Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1042 copy.jpg
Views:	270
Size:	98.8 KB
ID:	997994

I would just buy this one. It is cheap and you are just using it to do rough work.

Name:	2127499.jpg
Views:	267
Size:	75.4 KB
ID:	997993
    I have an expensive Global Meat Clever that I use a few times a year. It looks cool on my magnetic knife strip, but to have a $160 clever is ridiculous, in retrospect.

Name:	IMG_1043 copy.jpg
Views:	269
Size:	92.7 KB
ID:	997995

Leave a comment:

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here