Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Decent Knife Sharpener Suggestions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Shapton Glass stones

Comment

I've used a Chefs Choice for years, and while I'm certain other brands work just fine, I love what I have and wouldn't dream of changing

Comment

Most of my knives are from a brand called Edge of Belgravia (https://www.edgeofbelgravia.co.uk/ UK address, but they have warehouses in TN). Their top end steel knives are absolutely amazing and it's possible to get them really sharp. To keep them that sharp I use an OBH Nordica - SharpX-treme electrical knife sharpener. It has both Ceramic and Diamond meaning you can both keep the knives sharp and also put on a new edge. I know it isn't as fancy as using a stone, but it is certainly a lot easier.

I know that Edge of Belgravia are working on a knife sharpener (I think I saw it on Kickstarter), but presumably the actual delivery timescales may be quite long.

Comment

Clark Well, did you decide on, or buy one yet? You’ve left us in suspense long enough. Many of us haven’t been sleeping well, until we know what you decided.

Comment

• Clark
            Clark commented
            Editing a comment
            Panhead John I've been shopping locally and looking online. Online, many are sold out. Locally, there is a large variety of what is available. It is no longer a top priority due to other things popping up.
            I did buy a couple of new paring knives, one for her and one for me. (She uses hers to cut plastic wrappers and cardboard boxes so I will not let her use mine!

i use this 3 the most..
          left to right
          Wharthog Blade Sharpener
          Ken Onion Work Sharp
          Dick Rapid Steel

Comment

have mercy forgot to post the picture..ive only had the Ken Onion about a year at longest..bought it with the AR discount..really a nice unit..will do exact what it claims
            the Wharthog ivd had for years...it has several different stones (rods) to use..now days i keep the steels on it and run my knives thru it after a couple uses
            the rapid steel i keep out by my prep table when i have help ...over
            Attached Files

Comment

I got the Ken Onion last year. I sharpened every knife in the house, except the butter knives; I sharpened the kitchen knives, the steak knives, and a few pocket knives. Then I took it over to my BiL’s place, and we sharpened all his knives, including his hunting and fishing knives.

I can’t speak for him, but since then my knives have only needed honing. They’ll slice a mushy tomato to paper thin. And the Ken Onion hasn’t come out of its carrying case since that first week. It’s a damn fine tool.

Comment

Like mgaretz, I have the Apex Edge Pro. I use it on both my German and Japanese knives. It’s a time and money investment, but my knives are truly sharp. Like slice a paper towel held in one hand sharp, cut tomatoes sharp, take a finger off before your brain knows it has happened sharp. The only way to do better is buy Japanese whet stones and learn how to use them.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20210802-215045_Amazon Shopping.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	43.7 KB
ID:	1071629 DMT makes nice sharpening stones. Get you real close to Japanese water stones but without the hassle of taking care of them. I have a chef choice but didn't like how much metal it took off. Touch all my knives up month no complaints.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  Yes
                  ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                  /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here