Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

MEATER+ Questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

MEATER+ Questions

Okay, my kids gave me a MEATER+ a couple years ago and I have just got around to playing with it. A couple things seem problematic.

1. It uses a AAA beater in the base and that charges the Meater itself. So, how do I make sure if I haven’t used it for a few days that it is charged. I pulled it out tonight for some chicken and it was dead. And I can’t just hook it up to a regular charger

2. How accurate do you think it is? The ambient temp seems to take a LONG time to get to where it is telling me the right temp.

I just got one, and I think that because the ambient piece is so close to the meat it reads lots colder than the ambient temp of your grill. My Sobot ambient reading was 40 to 50 degrees warmer than the MEATER reading. The charger needs to be near the MEATER probe to get a reading. I am not sure, but I think the app will give you feedback as to how much of a charge the probe has. When you download the app they have some short helpful videos.

Comment

• ecowper
      ecowper commented
      Editing a comment
      My experience so far has been that the cold air bubble around the meat means my ambient readings are way off from what a Fireboard probe is telling me

This is why i returned the TempSpike I bought earlier this year. It always read a low ambient temperature because of proximity to the meat. I didn’t like that I could not confidently run a smoker with it without another ambient probe.

Comment

• ecowper
      ecowper commented
      Editing a comment
      Yeah, that is really causing me problems. During the couple cooks I’ve done, I finally put in a Fireboard probe because the Meater was obviously wrong.

One thing the combustion guy pointed out- the ambient sensor is close to the meat, that is the temp the meat is experiencing, and that is what cooks the meat.

Little different than what we are accustomed to. He mentions this in his turkey video. Go to the 2:55 mark.

Comment

• Alan Brice
      Alan Brice commented
      Editing a comment
      ecowper def make sure the square end is bright and shiny. I use a white magic eraser.
      I have occasionally backed it up with a wired probe from SnS and found the ambient readings to be spot on.

• Johnny Booth
      Johnny Booth commented
      Editing a comment
      Jerod Broussard. - I agree with the logic there, but would have to recalculate the cook to accommodate a temperature near the meat vs. the temp of the air leaving the cook chamber. Too much math makes my head hurt.

• Michael_in_TX
      Michael_in_TX commented
      Editing a comment
      You know, that is a very interesting point. We've been conditioned to always put our grate probes 2" or so away from any meat, else the coldness of the meat would affect the reading....but if that is the air that is actually cooking the meat....hmmm.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here