Welcome!

This is a membership forum. As a guest, you can click around a bit. View 5 pages for free. If you would like to participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

There are 4 page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Thermapen One, the new champ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thermapen One, the new champ?

So now we know what replaces the very well respected Mk4: Introducing Thermapen® ONE - YouTube

1 second read = $105.00 vs 2-3 second read = $70.00? Am I really in that much of a hurry?🤔

Comment

• Murdy
      Murdy commented
      Editing a comment
      JakeT 100% faster and only 50% more expensive!

• jfmorris
      jfmorris commented
      Editing a comment
      Exactly why I never rushed to replace my "classic" Thermapen when the Mark IV came out.

• JakeT
      JakeT commented
      Editing a comment
      Murdy they should hire you for their marketing campaign!

Meh. I thought it would be a total redesign or something novel. So I was holding off picking up one of the discounted Mk4s. Not anymore. I just ordered a "slow" Mk4 for $69.

Comment

I applaud them for innovating and making it better (even though it was already a superior product)! Nothing wrong with that!

Comment

Dammit...

I want one.

Jerks.

Comment

• Attjack
          Attjack commented
          Editing a comment
          Same.

• bbqLuv
          bbqLuv commented
          Editing a comment
          Me too

Always improving things. I like it. Plus, with the new model........it should make the MK4 cheaper. Win, win.

Comment

• Uncle Bob
          Uncle Bob commented
          Editing a comment
          Their "clearance" language in the current Mk 4 ads implies they would discontinue that model. Like you I think they should keep it as a second tier option for those who resist the three digit price of the new model, but still want the ergonomic combination of the Mk 4 with the compromise on speed, warrantee options.

• Spinaker
          Spinaker commented
          Editing a comment
          Yeah, they did that with the Gen one Thermapen, it was around for a long time after the MK4 was released. Uncle Bob

• glitchy
          glitchy commented
          Editing a comment
          If I'm recalling what I read correctly, Thermoworks has said the MK4 is going away but the Thermapen Classic is staying as the entry or basic model.

Every second counts, right? Not that I cannot spare a few seconds and don't waste them all the time, but I do want one of these. Temping several burgers or steaks on a pellet grill adds up quick in heat loss that has to be recovered.

Comment

• prepperjack
          prepperjack commented
          Editing a comment
          The advantage to me is when temping very large cuts where you can't be sure that you're in the optimal spot. Having such a quick response time means that I can put the probe in deeper than I need to and then slowly pull it out to get the temps through the range.

• BBQPhil
          BBQPhil commented
          Editing a comment
          I think the ability to move it around and instantly measure the temp in a range of areas is more useful than getting the results of a fixed position in a second. This thermometer is taking away the slow from slow cooking.

I like using the thermometer to physically pull stuff off the grill. For instance, if you have 10-30 pieces of chicken on the grill you can temp each one and pull it off with the thermometer. One second is going to be great.

Comment

One interesting thing is that this shows that the metal probe can "react" to heat energy quick enough that continuous one-second readings can be made.

Comment

Love it.

Comment

I still think they should make an instant-read and leave in combo. There would be at least 2 probe ports so that you can have a probe in the meat and a probe for the pit and still be able to use it as an instant-read thermometer.

Comment

Only $97 if you order 5+

Comment

I wanted WiFi. I wanted to put it in my roast, then quickly run inside to my desk and see the temp on my laptop. I am disappointed that I cannot do this.

Comment

• IFindZeroBadCooks
                    IFindZeroBadCooks commented
                    Editing a comment
                    A lengthy and hand written letter.

• Dr. Pepper
                    Dr. Pepper commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Huskee Or, run down to your local internet cafe, rent a machine, log-in, and then check the temp. That way you can grill and still meet interesting people, at the same time.

• prepperjack
                    prepperjack commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Huskee that’s the “Pro” version due out in time for Christmas

I think I need one. My old Thermopop is just sooo sloooow

Comment

Well, bought a second Mk IV I$70. So, I actually like this new thing that I'm never going to buy since I got a Mk IV for such a great price.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                    No announcement yet.
                    Working...
                    X
                    false
                    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                    false
                    false
                    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                    Yes
                    Rubs Promo

Spotlight

These are not ads or paid placements. These are some of our favorite tools and toys.

These are products we have tested, won our top awards, and are highly recommend. Click here to read how we test, about our medals, and what they mean.

Use Our Links To Help Keep Us Alive

A big part of this site is our unbiased equipment and product reviews. We love playing with toys and we have no problem calling them the way we see them. Some companies pay a finder’s fee if a reader clicks a link on AmazingRibs.com and buys a product. It has zero impact on our reviews, zero impact on the price you pay, and the sites never tell us what you bought, but it has a major impact on our ability to keep this site alive! So before you buy, please click our links. Here’s a link that takes you to a page on Amazon that has some of our favorite tools and toys: https://tinyurl.com/amazingribs

Finally, A Great Portable Pellet Smoker

Green Mountain Grills Trek smoker

Green Mountain Grills Trek smoker

Green Mountain’s portable Trek Smoker is one mean tailgating and picnic machine. But it’s also gaining popularity with people who want to add a small, set it and forget it pellet smoker to their backyard arsenal. And with their WiFi capabilities you can control and monitor Trek from your smart phone or laptop.

Click here to read our detailed review and to order

The Good-One Is A Superb Grill And A Superb Smoker All In One

The Good-One Open Range is dramatically different from a traditional offset smoker. By placing the heat source behind and under the smokebox instead of off to the side, Open Range produces even temperature from left to right, something almost impossible to achieve with a standard barrel shaped offset.

Click here to read ourcomplete review

Comprehensive Temperature Magnet With 80+ Important Temps

Amazingribs.com temperature magnet
                    Winner of the National BBQ Association’s product of the year award. This 8.5″ x 11″ magnet contains more that 80 benchmark temperatures for meats (both USDA recommended temps as well as the temps chefs recommend), fats and oils, sugars, sous vide, eggs, collagens, wood combustion, breads, and more. Although it is not certified as all-weather, we have tested it outdoors in Chicago weather and it has not delaminated in three years, but there is minor fading.

Click here to order.

The Cool Kettle With The Hinged Hood We Always Wanted

Napoleon’s 22″ Pro Cart Charcoal Kettle Grill puts a few spins on the familiar kettle design. In fact, the hinged lid with a handle on the front, spins in a rotary motion 180 degrees. It’s hard to beat a Weber kettle, but Napoleon holds its own and adds some unique features to make the 22″ Pro Cart a viable alternative.

Click here for more about what makes this grill special

Blackstone Rangetop Combo: Griddle And Deep Fryer In One

The flat top does the burgers and the fryer does the fries. Use the griddle for bacon, eggs, grilled cheese, and so much more. And why deep fry indoors when you can avoid the smell and mess by doing it outside!

Click here to read our detailed review and to order

Masterbuilt MPS 340/G ThermoTemp XL Propane Smoker

This is the first propane smoker with a thermostat, making this baby foolproof. Set ThermoTemp’s dial from 175° to 350°F and the thermostat inside will adjust the burner just like an indoor kitchen oven. All you need to do is add wood to the tray above the burner to start smokin’.

Click here to read our detailed review

The Efficiency Of A Kamado Plus The Flexibility Of The Slow ‘N Sear Insert

kamado grill
                    Built around SnS Grill’s patented Slow ‘N Sear charcoal kettle accessory, this 22-inch kamado is a premium ceramic grill that brings true 2-zone cooking to a kamado.

Click here for our article on this exciting cooker