Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Suggestions on a non stick fry pan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• jfmorris
    commented on 's reply
    Just don't SLIDE the cast iron around at all on the smooth cooktop - and set it down gently. I think that is how it gets damaged. Although, my parents new house had warnings against use of cast iron on the stove top, so they restrict their old CI to the side burner of my dad's Weber Spirit grill these days. Maybe thermal differences between glass and CI could cause a problem, and crack the glass if they cool/heat at different rates?

• glitchy
    replied
    Like a couple others, we've also been using the Greenpan Ceramic non-stick pans. Not overly expensive and usually find them at target. Cheap enough if they last a couple years we can justify replacing them. What I like about them is first, not teflon, second when something does happen it seems to scratch versus chip and flake away (at least so far in our experience). I think we've had one of our about 3-4 years now though. I tossed one of the smaller ones that I scorched the daylight out of and couldn't get clean though after trying several different things.

Curious on the cast iron with glass cooktop comments? Have some of you scratched your cooktop with CI? I don't use cast iron often, but occasionally on ours. Our cooktop was already scratched a little but I haven't noticed anything new. However, been thinking about replacing with induction and if there's a good risk of scratching it with cast iron, it might be more worthwhile to have someone run a gas line as I don't want to be afraid to use cast iron with the new range when we do finally get one.

Leave a comment:

• Troutman
    replied
    I've never had much luck with non-stick. I'm with a lot of you, I buy the cheapo Tefal and just throw them to the curb when they wear out. My expensive non-stick didn't fair much better. I've converted to one of three types generally; CI, enameled CI and stainless. I also have a carbon steel pan and wok which work well too.

I guess I'm still hoping that someone will figure out the non-stick holy grail. Has anyone tried or know how successful Hex Clad is? I know their pans are very expensive. A 12" skillet with glass lid will set you back like $200. Anyone know? Anyone? Bueller?

Leave a comment:

• Attjack
    replied
    I like cast iron.

Leave a comment:

• PNWsmoke
    replied
    Watch Dark waters movie, You will go Cast iron

Leave a comment:

• rickgregory
    commented on 's reply
    it's lightly seasoned. Adding more would help, but mostly just cook with it. Don't soap it.

Cast iron vs carbon steel pans... CI trends to be thicker and heavier which makes it slower to react to heat changes. CS is thinner and thus reacts better. Consider your use for each but they're all I use now. VERY occasionally, a stainless steel pan.

• Macktechie
    replied
    I did pick up a cast iron pan by lodge a 10.5. it was preseasoned so I don't have to do anything else right? I am very intrigued by carbon steel pans.

Leave a comment:

• ssandy_561
    commented on 's reply
    I have a couple greenpan also. I’ve had them about 18 months. They are showing a little ware but still work good.

I have a smooth top glass electric stove so I can’t use my cast iron on it.

• zzdocxx
    replied
    ATK, sale on Matfer Bourgeat carbon steel pans right now.

There's a vid where they do the testing etc.

Another vid on the subject from ATK

I'm tempted but where would I keep it ? ? ?

Leave a comment:

• Old Glory
    replied
    Serious eats write-up on nonstick pans

He likes the cheap ones

Leave a comment:

• N227GB
    replied
    CI, carbon steel, non-stick - I have them all and they all have their place.

Acidic sauces (tomato for example) or stir frys can remove the seasoning. It can be reseasoned, you've not destroyed your pan, but still, you've made more work.

CI is heavy. If you have a household grade induction or glass cooktop you better be careful. I never tried the CI on my cheapie cooktop. Carbon steel was no problem. I have a new Waring commercial portable induction cooktop that I'm putting through its paces. Next cook on it out on the lanai will be smashburgers in a CI pan.

Speaking of heavy, if you're prone to repetitive stress injury you really need to watch your cooking workflow and move heavy CI around with both hands.

For non-stick I've been using these for a little over a year. They claim you can use metal utensils and are dishwasher safe. Well, I'm only using non-metalic and washing by hand. Don't use high heat as others have said. I wipe them down with a very light coat of flaxseed oil before storing and place a thin piece of closed-cell packing foam to keep them from banging together.

The heat indication is a gimmick I think (I use a Thermoworks IR gun) but I'm liking them so far. We'll see how they're doing in 18 months.

Leave a comment:

• LDimick
    commented on 's reply
    Actually, most of it may come off in the washing and scrubbing and it ends up down the sink.

• TripleB
    commented on 's reply
    Spot on. Love my CI and use it all the time, but for omelets and quick poached eggs, I go with my inexpensive (not thin and cheap) Smart & Final non-stick pan.

• grantgallagher
    commented on 's reply
    +1 to this

• KBaldwin
    replied
    I like the T-fal cheap nonstick pans. They do wear out but because they are not a huge investment it doesn’t hurt to replace them when needed.

Leave a comment:

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here