Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Suggestions on a non stick fry pan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Antoin
    replied
    I find pans made out of carbon steel much better than cast-iron and even as good as nonstick after proper seasoning. Plus you high heat cooking is a snap.
    Last edited by Antoin; September 13, 2020, 11:15 AM.

Leave a comment:

• zzdocxx
    replied
    I've got a set of Anolon Nouvelle Copper that I like pretty well. A quick google only showed the skillets being sold as a set of two . . .

But I have read, I think on ATK, about the carbon steel skillets. The fact that they are lightweight is a nice selling point if you want to get fancy and flip your eggs without a spatula and so forth. Although I imagine the heat retaining properties are quite different than the CI.

It might be interesting to see a topic about carbon steel and to see how many people actually have and use them. I was tempted a few months back when ATK had them on sale, but I have so much stuff already I took a pass. Maybe next time ?

Leave a comment:

• Rocinante
    replied
    I agree with CI, but do use non stick for certain foods. I find granitestone works great and no off gassing when heated.

Leave a comment:

• GolfGeezer
    replied
    I have 2 Greenpan ceramic non-stick pans, an 8" and one that is sort of like a Wok. Had them for years, they do not release chemicals and can be used at higher temps than "regular" non-stick T-Fal or teflon pans.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00KXTDSMK...xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==

Leave a comment:

• Dadof3Illinois
    replied
    I buy cheap and replace every couple years. We have a glass electric cooktop so i don’t trust using my heavy cast iron cookware on it very often. I love my CI but I pretty much only use it on my camp chef stove outdoors.

Leave a comment:

• RustyHaines
    replied
    I am having good success with a Granitestone 12" skillet. Inexpensive and works great. I agree the key to non-stick is to not overheat them.

Leave a comment:

• jfmorris
    replied
    I've got an old 10" stainless skillet, and I've found if I oil it, it is as non-stick as my Oxy 12" teflon coated pan. Same for the CI.

Leave a comment:

• Mosca
    replied
    I buy cheap and replace every few years.

Leave a comment:

• JackJ
    commented on 's reply
    For crepes and omelettes I like carbon steel for the reasons you state: lighter and most have a better shape with a shallower slope to the sides.

• DavidNorcross
    replied
    I have to pile on with the cast iron. Would not want to cook without it.

Leave a comment:

• Bkhuna
    replied
    Cast iron, cast iron, cast iron... yada, yada, yada....

I have a non-stick pan that I use pretty much for eggs and omelettes. I'm not going to break my back trying to make a rolled french style omelette or delicate crepes with a cast iron skillet. Too heavy and the wrong shape.

For most everything else, yes, cast iron wins.

Leave a comment:

• Red Man
    replied
    Non stick pans are cheap and disposable...they don’t last long. The non stick coating will end up in your food. Get some cast iron.

Leave a comment:

• rickgregory
    replied
    Here's the reason I don't like non-stick pans... when the coating wears out... where do you think it's going? Yeah... into the food.

Leave a comment:

• Jerod Broussard
    commented on 's reply
    That's what I'm talking about, 98.2% of my genetics come from France.

• JGo37
    commented on 's reply
    Agree completely with mnavarre set your hot water heater on 120F, get a stiff nylon dish brush - you'll never need more than a drop or two of Dawn. I will say I put a drop or two (at MOST) of grape oil on my CI every time after cleaning and rub it in by hand. That said, my CI is seasoned so well that after rubbing in ONE DROP I usually need to dab up the excess with a paper towel.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here