Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What new item in 2019

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Number 2. Best smoker on the planet

Attached Files

Comment

• Craigar
      Craigar commented
      Editing a comment
      Is this the travel version for you to take on the road? Congrats on #2!!

• Ernest
      Ernest commented
      Editing a comment
      Craigar LOL!! I quit that job. 15 years of traveling was getting to me. Two young kids, long hours same pay.

• Craigar
      Craigar commented
      Editing a comment
      Ernest It's good to hear you will be spending more time with your family...and of course with us. Now you will have more time to write the Traveler's Cookbook too.

Originally posted by texastweeter View Post
    Bought my mother a new fridge. She cried...made me feel good and bad at the same time.
    ...as only Moms can do.

Kathryn

Comment

Originally posted by Uncle Bob View Post
      Earlier this year through these pages fzxdoc , Katherine, introduced me to the Camp Chef Somerset IV outdoor stove. Four, 30k btu burners if shear cooking power, convenience, and joy. The best basic feature is that it keeps the smells of, mostly, burning oil outside the house. The high power burners make all manner of high temp cooking (wok and deep frying) a breeze in both attaining high temps and recovering when large amounts of food are introduced to the pan. I'd been using a two burner camp stove style previously, but the height, and burner span of this unit are much, much better to work with. I can now do calamari in higher volume in less than a minute. Pan fried noodles get that just right texture, and on and on. With a cast iron flat top added we get wonderful smash burgers, and all the other griddle delights. If I didn't already have a bevy of other cookers I'd be more interested in some of the clever add on devices that Camp Chef makes to increase versatility.
      I've had the same experience as Uncle Bob . The purchase of my Somerset IV outdoor gas range in the summer of 2019 has been a game changer. No longer do I get the side-eye from hubby as I fire up a CI Dutch oven half-full of peanut oil to fry up something tasty. Hip hip hooray for that. Plus I make a ton of other stuff on it as well.

If you love cooking outdoors as I do, having a gas range that performs so nicely with high BTU burners is pure pleasure.

Kathryn
      Last edited by fzxdoc; December 17, 2019, 04:24 PM.

Comment

• Dan Deter
        Dan Deter commented
        Editing a comment
        fzxdoc nope, nor Lowes. On Home Depot I just saw that the cover for it shows "Discontinued", and don't even see the cover on the CC website.

• fzxdoc
        fzxdoc commented
        Editing a comment
        I saw it available on the Walmart site for $415 with free delivery this morning, Dan Deter . I paid $297 at Home Depot with free delivery last summer.

Kathryn

• surfdog
        surfdog commented
        Editing a comment
        Dan Deter Per CC, it has been discontinued with no replacement currently planned. Just ordered one from Walmart today.

The Smobot was my best acquisition this year. It will hold temps closer than the wife's new oven. It was also a great year hunting cast iron. I was able to get some great deals on pieces I didn't dream I would find.

Comment

Favorite purchase in 2019? I’m assuming this is outdoor cooking themed. Makes it easy as there is ONE thing that stands out.

I obtained a Napoleon Prestige Pro 500RSIB gasser to replace the one that was included when I bought my house.

Comment

• Bobmcgahan
          Bobmcgahan commented
          Editing a comment
          SmokeyGator, how often do you use the sear burner?

• SmokeyGator
          SmokeyGator commented
          Editing a comment
          Bobmcgahan not as often as I thought I would. But I packed the thing away for a near miss storm and it spent months stashed away. I dug it out though, it’s getting use again. It gets screaming hot.

• surfdog
          surfdog commented
          Editing a comment
          Nice. I saw the 825 and about fell over.
          Waiting for one of my kids to get a bigger backyard so that I can gift them my Summit Platinum. LOL

Bought a clearance Blackstone 22" in the spring. Then in July I took the plunge and got a Meadow Creek PR42G...

I also bought a new pickup to help me haul everything around...

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0825.JPG
Views:	357
Size:	144.1 KB
ID:	780246

Name:	IMG_1085.JPG
Views:	411
Size:	207.4 KB
ID:	780245

Comment

• Fenixrising103
          Fenixrising103 commented
          Editing a comment
          How heavy is that Pig Roaster and how did you get it in the truck bed?

• clb239
          clb239 commented
          Editing a comment
          Fenixrising103 The pig roaster weighs over 300 pounds...When I bought we loaded it into the truck from their loading dock using a ramp...In the future it will go on a utility trailer

• Fenixrising103
          Fenixrising103 commented
          Editing a comment
          clb239 I knew it was heavy so that’s why I asked. The utility trailer is a nice idea. I plan on getting a PR60 in the near future.

The Evo and the Blaze.

Name:	20191119_174117.jpg
Views:	406
Size:	101.1 KB
ID:	780276

Name:	20191014_180006.jpg
Views:	384
Size:	117.2 KB
ID:	780277

Comment

• Craigar
          Craigar commented
          Editing a comment
          It looks like The Blaze is living up to its name.

How are you liking the Evo?

• Attjack
          Attjack commented
          Editing a comment
          Craigar I love it. It's like a giant cast iron pan or a flattened wok. Lots of fun to use. People like to watch me use it too.

• scottranda
          scottranda commented
          Editing a comment
          I love that Blaze!

Found an almost new Weber Performer that was used only three times on Facebook Marketplace for $20. Don't think I'll ever beat that deal.

I also signed up for Bookbub after seeing someone (can't remember who) mention it in the pit at some point. I get an email of heavily discounted e-books every day, one of which is a cookbook. There is lots of garbage in there, things like "Cook Away the Belly Fat" or "Fast and Easy Five-Ingredient Weeknight Slow-Cooker Recipes For Diabetics With Shelfish Allergies and a Gluten Intolerance" (not a real book... yet?), but every once in a while something interesting shows up. I've got a few books from Michael Symon, Bobby Flay, Rick Bayless. Got a Turkish cookbook recipes and an Israeli cookbook that I really like. I've grabbed a bunch of others that look pretty good, everything from Chinese, Korean, Indian, Mexican, bread baking, southern Instant Pot recipes, cast iron recipes, and plenty more I can't think of at the moment. I'm pretty sure every book that I bought was either $1.99 or $2.99.

Comment

I can't remember when I bought my Sous Vide. But I experimented with it quite a bit this year and even used it to cook a beef tenderloin at an eggfest. It is a great addition to my BBQ experience.

Comment

Mine was acquiring a pellet cooker. For years I thought 'I don't need that, it's not as tasty as a charcoal/wood cooker, and it needs a cord and has a circuit board, heck no!' But after using one I found it excels, at least to my personal palate, on things that I want to have more flavor than a gasser, but not be smoked like the other cookers offer. To me personally, those things are steaks, burgers, nachos, beef roasts like tri tip and prime rib, fish, veggies, turkey. I really like how those things turn out on a pellet cooker. To me it's definitely a valid tool in the toolbox.

To round things out, my SnSK. Happy with it. Although I will admit I have not given it the run-through it deserves just yet (next summer!). I've cooked on it maybe 4 or 5 times, brisket, pulled pork, pulled beef, steaks.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMAG3040.jpg Views:	0 Size:	3.62 MB ID:	780538

EDIT: clb239 reminded me of another nice tool I acquired this year, my pickup. A man with cookers who travels makin' BBQ for friends & family gotta have him a truck.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMAG3110.jpg Views:	0 Size:	2.27 MB ID:	780539

Comment

• Huskee
              Huskee commented
              Editing a comment
              Thanks Henrik. Silly question maybe, but are American trucks popular in your chunk of dirt? If so, or if not, what's the popular choice of trucks and cars over in Sweden?

• Henrik
              Henrik commented
              Editing a comment
              The short answer is no. The only people driving them are a few workers, like carpenters, plumbers. et.c. Most people (including most blue collar workers) use vans or similar. I guess a lot depends on the weather. You need weather protection for all the gear. Plus you can store more stuff in a van-like vehicle.

• Henrik
              Henrik commented
              Editing a comment
              I still like 'em though, but they are very rare.

My AR membership is probably the best thing I did for my cooking. Though a late December purchase, it paid off many times over this past year. Thank you all. The second purchase is the Weber performer that I bought after I read everyone’s praises here. The versatility of it has been amazing. My drum that I was using weekly rarely gets touched now.

Comment

I got a Smobot. I’ve had a flameboss 200 for years and it worked very well. Had to replace some probes and said screw it, I’m buying new. Landed on the Smobot and have used it twice, works great. Add to it watching the servo motor open the vent and close is therapeutic in an idiot guy kind of way. Zzzz zzz open - close. Love it.

Comment

Good question, I bought the BBQ JET in a store. I assumed American, but guess not. I can ship it to you, but guess voltage is a deal breaker.
                Last edited by Henrik; December 21, 2019, 09:12 AM.

Comment

Early this year, Thanks to You guys' I bought a Sous Vide, Took some time to love but I do now. Then I bought some Grill grate's in the spring for my Rectec. Also early spring I found a PK grill (New) at an auction for $50. Ya love that thing, my grill grate fit on there just long way's. Wednesday, Royal Gourmet Regal 5-Burner Gas Griddle. New in the box at another auction for $125. have not put it together yet.

Comment

I found a free 22" Weber and bought a spin grate for my 26" Weber,also bought redi check thermometer.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                    No announcement yet.
                    Working...
                    X
                    false
                    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                    false
                    false
                    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                    Yes
                    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here