Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Trying to decide which rotisserie to buy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Joetee I get the temp at the rotisserie, as measured by a Fireboard ambient probe, at about 375, give or take. Anything from 350-400, honestly. I usually put two Foster Farms chickens on the rotisserie. At about an hour, I check the bird. Breast will usually be around 155F at that point, but sometimes it goes a bit faster. I let it go another 10-15 minutes. Once I have the breast temp around 170F, give or take, I pull the birds. I only let them sit long enough for me to pull the rotisserie and shut down the cooker. maybe 5 minutes. Then carve. I also don't do a lot of seasoning. Basically salt under and over the skin and some olive oil on the skin. I like the taste of the smoke and the bird basting itself as it cooks.

Comment

Originally posted by ecowper View Post
      Joetee I get the temp at the rotisserie, as measured by a Fireboard ambient probe, at about 375, give or take. Anything from 350-400, honestly. I usually put two Foster Farms chickens on the rotisserie. At about an hour, I check the bird. Breast will usually be around 155F at that point, but sometimes it goes a bit faster. I let it go another 10-15 minutes. Once I have the breast temp around 170F, give or take, I pull the birds. I only let them sit long enough for me to pull the rotisserie and shut down the cooker. maybe 5 minutes. Then carve. I also don't do a lot of seasoning. Basically salt under and over the skin and some olive oil on the skin. I like the taste of the smoke and the bird basting itself as it cooks.
      That sounds really good. I might try the Simon and Garfunkel Rub with your suggestion.

Comment

How do I mount a Smoke heat probe in the rotisserie for oven temp?
        also is there any difference between the grate probe and the IT probe other than the shape and length. I hung the IT probe down through the top vent thinking that would be pretty accurate. What do you think?
        Last edited by Joetee; September 16, 2017, 03:59 PM.

Comment

Joetee I think, on a Weber, hanging a probe in through the top vent makes sense to me. On my Hasty-Bake I loop the wire over the top warming grate and let the tip of the probe hang at the same height as the rotisserie. I use an ambient probe, but I don't see why it would make a difference which probe you use. You're not going to exceed the probe temp limits.

Comment

My first rotisserie cook with the Cajon bandit report.
            Two 5 1/5 # chickens.
            Rubbed both with coshire salt and a little fresh ground pepper about 9 am.
            Just before cooking at around 2:30pm I rubbed one with lemon pepper seasoning and the other with roasted garlic and herb seasoning.
            Took some aluminum tape that is used for sealing HVAC ducks and covered the extra holes and openings in the rotisserie housing.
            Placed a Weber basket on each side of the charcoal grate full of Stubb's.
            Placed the cooking grate on and put a large aluminum baking pans under the chickens with oil, potatoes, garlic, and about 1/4 inch of water in it. The potatoes came out awesome as well.
            It started out at about 400° and went down to about 275. Cooked for a couple hrs.
            Came out real juicy and well done. Very good.
            Next time I'm gonna try my SnS basket to try and keep the temp hoter. Just would stay hot.
            Last edited by Joetee; September 17, 2017, 02:48 PM.

Comment

• Jon Solberg
              Jon Solberg commented
              Editing a comment
              It needs more air and fuel.

Question is... This little bushing just rolls on the housing. Wouldn't that start wearing a groove down into the housing? Is there something else I could use to stop the metal to metal rubbing?
            Thank you
            Maybe could try nylon or delrin bushings at hardware, or online...cheap, expendable, would save metal-to-metal wear...

Comment

I happen to have $200 burning a hole in my pocket so I was thinking about adding a rotisserie to my Weber 22" kettle. Was debating between a cheap one, the weber one, or the cajun bandit. I'm now leaning towards the cajun bandit I think! How have you liked yours over the last 2.5 years? Do you use it? Has it held up well. I have the SNS 2.0 and I think it would work great with a rotisserie. Hope you are all still in the Pit to get this!!

Comment

Maxriptin I would probably buy this one for $200.

Click image for larger version  Name:	61hEdsybS2L._AC_SL1500_.jpg Views:	0 Size:	90.7 KB ID:	861022

https://www.amazon.com/onlyfire-Mult...s%2C213&sr=8-6
                Last edited by Attjack; June 12, 2020, 11:45 AM.

Comment

• Maxriptin
                  Maxriptin commented
                  Editing a comment
                  hmmmm that is a good option. I saw that onlyfire made a cheaper rotisserie but hadn't come across the rotisserie pizza oven hybrid... Thanks!

I would buy which ever one rotates FASTER.

Granted, I have zero experience with rotisseries but I like things that spin faster better than things that spin slow

Comment

• mountainsmoker
                  mountainsmoker commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I'm just the opposite from you. Slow is best with a rotisserie. You have to expose the meat to the meat to the heat to get it cooked. If it is spinning to fast it can't warm up.

• BFlynn
                  BFlynn commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I should have put a winky face or something. It was a poor attempt at humor.

I just like things that spin fast!
                  I have NO idea what makes a good rotisserie.

• Maxriptin
                  Maxriptin commented
                  Editing a comment
                  It made me laugh. I pictured a chicken with its wings breaking through the truss and flailing about. While rub and juices fling all over the place. haha

Originally posted by Maxriptin View Post
                I happen to have $200 burning a hole in my pocket so I was thinking about adding a rotisserie to my Weber 22" kettle. Was debating between a cheap one, the weber one, or the cajun bandit. I'm now leaning towards the cajun bandit I think! How have you liked yours over the last 2.5 years? Do you use it? Has it held up well. I have the SNS 2.0 and I think it would work great with a rotisserie. Hope you are all still in the Pit to get this!!
                I love mine. I think I've had it for 2 years. Cajun Bandit. Built real well.
                If but again but I don't think I'll ever have to.

Comment

I've had the Cajun Bandit rotisserie with the corded motor for a couple of years and I really like it. Very well made. The largest thing I've made is an 18lb Turkey and the motor handled it with ease. The SNS helps some, but I've been thinking of getting a Vortex to provide more focused heat under the meat. I'd be interested to know if anyone has experience using a Vortex with a rotisserie.

BTW. Cajun Bandit is having a 10% off Father's Day sale through 6/21. Use Promo Code DADSDAY

Comment

• Attjack
                    Attjack commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Why not just center the SnS under the meat?

• BBQ_Steve-O
                    BBQ_Steve-O commented
                    Editing a comment
                    *Palm to forehead* That makes perfect sense. I feel like an idiot for not trying that.

• Maxriptin
                    Maxriptin commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Well that is perfect timing! Thanks for the heads up about the sale.

You really don't need to add anything to hold the charcoal. I've used the Weber baskets and I've just piled it up under the meat and on each side of it. It seems to work best on each side of it. Under the meat works well with out a lid also. But it used more charcoal. It all works. Just experiment.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                  Yes
                  ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                  /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here