Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

After one week, the good, the bad, and the wobbly

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sadly, I agree with a number of comments on this thread about Weber missing the boat when it comes to product design. The video link from STEbbq tells it all. The bottom shelf appears to go into a hole on the leg and those 3 points are supposed to make it sturdy?? The handle breaking on the awfully cheap grill grate and not have the deflector plate having hinged sides again makes Weber look real bad. Weber aficionado's go to their products because of the perceived value and they do work well but this constant tweaking of parts (mat'l, design, etc) to improve profit margins will (IMO) come back to bite them. I am still not happy about my 2013 Genesis gasser having exterior parts made from 430 stainless instead of 304 and I am reminded of that every time I clean it. Weber needs to understand that 5% of something is better than 10% of nothing and design products "RIGHT the FIRST TIME"......OK, I am off my soap box.

Comment

Looks like Weber is recalling the Kamados to fix the stands

Comment

• Andrrr
        Andrrr commented
        Editing a comment
        "And we certainly would have liked to identify this issue with the stand much sooner".
        The tapdancing around the poor/lack of R&D is comical. I feel for the PR group.

Unfortunately this looks like a trend for Weber. This is not just a lately thing either. This spans over the last couple, few years & multiple (3+) products. There is trouble in Mudville.

Comment

Wow...it looks like Weber may have lost the plot. They’ve had way too many problems with new releases. They seem to be focused on cashing in on their reputation...while cutting as many corners as possible. It almost appears that quality never comes up in new product designs...as they’re willing to fix issues after they become widespread rather than produce a better quality product in the first place. It like, "Meh, we’ll release it that way...and if people notice & complain, we’ll fix it...otherwise, we make even more profits." They don’t seem to understand that many people have no problem paying more for quality...and that price is secondary to that quality.

As I said previously, the WSCGC may be my last Weber. The new Summit gassers aren’t built nearly as well as my 2005. They’ve had several problems with new releases...and the quality of some of the other offerings just isn’t there.

IDK, I might pick up another WSM just to have before they screw that one up...and then be done with them. Not that I personally need another cooker any time soon...but it does make them very hard to recommend to friends.

Comment

• FireMan
          FireMan commented
          Editing a comment
          Agree, there was a time when you wouldn’t hesitate or consider anything comparable to a Weber.

I just did a little research and came up with this off the web which might shed light on the subject. Does the time line of 2010 sound about right?

Wondering if the last sentence might be Part of the cause.

Quote from Bing search engine:

Weber-Stephen Products

Privately Held American Manufacturer

Weber-Stephen Products LLC is a privately held American manufacturer of charcoal, gas and electric outdoor grills with related accessories. In 2004, Weber-Stephen acquired some assets of competitor Ducane at a bankruptcy sale. It also owns restaurants and publishes cookbooks. The company was family owned until it sold a majority stake to BDT Capital Partners in 2010.

Comment

• surfdog
          surfdog commented
          Editing a comment
          I’ve thought much the same...it does seem that might be when things started going sideways.

• FireMan
          FireMan commented
          Editing a comment
          BDT Capitol, hmmm, wonder what business they are in?

Alabama Smoke I am not sure about that.

BDT Capital Partners, the Chicago firm that bought Whataburger, owns Krispy Kreme and Panera too. It's praised for caring about family businesses' culture.

Fortune also said that BDT is known for winning "tales of affection" from its clients who love the work BDT does for their businesses. Jim Stephen’s dad invented the Weber grill and BDT got a controlling stake in the company in 2010. Stephen said BDT ensured his dad’s legacy stayed intact, including their reputation for building a quality product no matter what. He said BDT stayed true to that.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here