Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Help Me Out WSCG Owners

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help Me Out WSCG Owners

Yes I couldn't wait for Weber's big announcement last April(?) and nearly drooled over the innovation and new versatility until I saw the price. Man they are PROUD of that cooker. With a perfectly working Performer / SNS setup and PBC on the side, I couldn't find the cost to benefit argument that worked for me. So now after a few months I find myself reconsidering. Why? I have been a die hard Weber user since 1975 so I get it. They freaking work. And after looking at the WSCG again recently I'm starting to really appreciate the innovation after the sticker shock has past (sort of). So I'm hoping the WSCG owners out there with some cooks under their belt might find a moment to share the experience. Were your expectations met and is it really worth it? Don't be shy - talk it up or talk it down, I'd really like to know. Thanks!

You know no one will say a single bad word about their cooker kids in public....

Comment

Check this out.

Comment

The WSCGC is a game changer. It's a Kamado, Performer, Kettle, WSM and more all rolled into one. I have literally ran mine for three days on one load. Couple that with a FireBoard, fan cable and fan, SNS, DNG. I have literally replaced all my grills with this thing.

Comment

• Troutman
          Troutman commented
          Editing a comment
          That just about says it all....just wish I could muster the bucks for one

• au4stree
          au4stree commented
          Editing a comment
          What he said...👆🏼👆🏼👆🏼👆🏼

Spoiler alert - I love mine...

Versatility in it's singular package is what sets it apart. As lonnie Mac says up above, it's all those cookers rolled into one....and where I use mine (summer getaway) that's exactly what I want. It has the capacity to allow me to make a Bunch of food for the masses when it's time for that, and it's super efficient on charcoal for smaller family cooks. I had mine running on one load for more than 24 hours once and I only don't know how much longer it ran b/c I stopped caring (or started drinking....).

Temp control....I can almost dial in the temp on that thing by the degree any more. it's responsive to damper changes and I can really put the temp exactly where I want it with minimal fluctuation.

I acknowledge the sticker shock...but I'll tell you, I've never regretted one penny of that purchase since getting this thing.
        Attached Files

Comment

For the very same reasons that you mentioned I hesitated, then purchased. Not only am I not disappointed, I am thrilled with the quality, versatility, and ease of use and maintenance. With all due respect to our kamado owning members, the WSCG does all of that plus what you'd expect from a kettle. One of our members shared an eBay vendor who was selling them for $999 and that sealed the deal for me. I haven't seen that vendor post in a while, but I would have bought one anyway at the MAP of $1499. I'm hoping fzxdoc will chime in because she and Max Good were the catalysts for my purchase.

Comment

The WSCGC is a beauty of a cooker and, in my opinion, well worth the money. I bought mine over 2 years ago, two months after they were first released, and haven't looked back. The fun of using it, just as lonnie mac described, in kettle or kamado mode just goes on and on. The fact that the grill is 24 inches in diameter positions it nicely between the 22 and 26 inch kettles and I have yet to run out of room even on big cooks. In kettle mode, it works super well with the SnS/DnG/Charcoal basket and the Vortex too.

The Weber Summit Charcoal is well thought out and well built, rock solid in performance and responsive to very small adjustments. I've never experienced a runaway temperature with it in kamado mode. Sure the temp has on occasion gone higher than desired, but it comes right back into line with a small vent adjustment. Plus it's the first time a dial thermometer pretty much matches my grill-level thermometer throughout much of the cook. Imagine that.

When I first got it over 2.5 years back, I got a lot of feedback here that it was not worth the purchase price--or, more specifically, that it was a great cooker but "Webers shouldn't cost that much". The MSRP for the WSCGC is $2299, and I got mine for $1999. Now you can beat that price at least for the WSCG (no built in table and storage) if you look around, as CaptainMike suggests. I think I've gotten my money back time and again with its reliable and responsive cooking capabilities.

One cooker, one footprint that is both a reliable well-built kettle and kamado? No regrets here.

Kathryn

P.S. Mr. Fancypants in his full glory:

Click image for larger version

Name:	WSCGC 4.jpg
Views:	159
Size:	58.0 KB
ID:	589415
            Last edited by fzxdoc; November 7, 2018, 06:36 AM.

Comment

• fzxdoc
              fzxdoc commented
              Editing a comment
              You're right, cgrover60 , you can get a basic experience with the charcoal basket. But the one that comes with the WSCGC is the standard small flimsy one; the SnS with the DnG as a a baffle provides superior performance. I enjoy the SnS/DnG because it provides a better kettle experience for me. I find I use it much more than I thought I would, often when doing smaller cooks for the two of us.

K.

• fzxdoc
              fzxdoc commented
              Editing a comment
              Also, cgrover60 , (I ran out of allowed space in the previous comment), searing with the SnS cold grate method is perfect. You could always wait on getting the SnS until you know your way around the WSCG, but I wouldn't think of using just the charcoal baskets for smoking or searing now that I know from experience how great the SnS is.

K.

• cgrover60
              cgrover60 commented
              Editing a comment
              Thanks fzxdoc. I'm totally hooked on the SnS/DnG setup in my Performer and was wondering how long I could live without it in a WSCG.

The only complaint I've heard about Weber Summit Charcoal Grills is the price, and that invariably comes from people who don't own one. I believe this stems from the fact that Summits look a lot like a traditional Weber kettle, but they are just plain bigger and better as the comments above illustrate.

Comment

I don't own one (yet) but what I like about it is that it has a port for fan control. So, no after-purchase mods are necessary for automated low/slow temp control. Who in the heck REALLY wants to drill a hole into their cooker?

Comment

• CaptainMike
                CaptainMike commented
                Editing a comment
                Why are you "in trouble" over that Rod

• Rod
                Rod commented
                Editing a comment
                CaptainMike I thought I was good-to-go with my cooker line up. Now not so much. So I'm in trouble with myself in trying to justify that cost.

• CaptainMike
                CaptainMike commented
                Editing a comment
                I get the sticker shock Rod, and while a little pricey you only have to buy it once, but get to use it for a lifetime. I cook on mine at least twice a week.

If you make up your mind to buy, check eBay first. There are usually a couple listed on there at substantial savings over regular retail.
              Wherever you buy it, you won't regret it.

Comment

• CaptainMike
                CaptainMike commented
                Editing a comment
                And Frank knows what he's talking about!!!

Thanks everyone for all the great feedback and have decided to put it in the budget for Spring next year. Until then.. (sigh)

Comment

Make sure to watch my very detailed assembly video. It is a vast wealth of assembly knowledge and know-how.

Comment

• cgrover60
                  cgrover60 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Very cool lonnie mac and a great logistics reality check. Thanks for sharing!

• Craigar
                  Craigar commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Very cool indeed. Thanks for sharing lonnie mac

• surfdog
                  surfdog commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Love it. The only cringe worthy moment was near the end...when you got to the Tourette’s inducing protective sticker shtuff. LOL

I love mine and agree that it’s a game changer. Whether in kettle mode or komado it does both well...and right out of the box.
                Yeah, it’s a little spendy but no worse than a ceramic with all the bells & whistles. And it takes up less space than two cookers, if that’s important to you.

One of the selling point for me over ceramic is the weight. I’m kind of a nomad at heart and tend not to stay in one place for years on end...I can’t imagine trying to drag a big ceramic komado every time I pulled up stakes. I have the "Grilling Center"...put it together by myself and haven’t looked back.

{edit}
                Having said that. Will it replace everything? No, but that wasn’t the point for me...despite how much I love the versatility. I’ll still keep my others, but see no need presently to look at other basic grills (kettles et al), komados, or smokers. I’ve pretty much got everything I need covered at this point.

Oh..."by myself" was just to illustrate that it doesn’t take two guys and an engine hoist. LOL
                Last edited by surfdog; November 12, 2018, 09:11 AM.

Comment

I have used a PBC for three or so years, and added a WSCGC a few months ago. The thing is awesome - I can't believe how well it holds temps when it it dialed in (a problem I had with my PBC), and its fuel efficiency is incredible. I have the ABC BBQ triple play for it, as well as a vortex. The PBC is great, and I still use it to throw on a few slabs of ribs, but the WSCGC is my go to on long cooks.

The versatility of the WSCGC is a lot of fun too. Still need to practice a little more with the SnS, but so far so good.

Comment

• EdF
                    EdF commented
                    Editing a comment
                    It's a great design!

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here