Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Calling all WSC owners-Considering WSC Grilling Center-Please talk me out of this!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Calling all WSC owners-Considering WSC Grilling Center-Please talk me out of this!

I'm in need of a new grill and going to replace my gasser w/charcoal. After a lot of research, deliberation, and wifely negotiation, I am strongly leading towards WSCGC vs something like the Performer series. Figure I'll throw in a low profile SnS as well.

Thoughts?!!! Trying to see if someone can actually talk me out of this lol.

Sorry, it's on my list too!

Comment

Can't go wrong with anything from Weber. sorry

Comment

Love the grilling center! Just make sure you have room for it. That table is quite a bit bigger than the Performer. Personally I have the WSCG without the table but that's because I have 11 grills on my deck and can't spare the space. lol

I'm biased but I think the SnS LP is a great addition. I'd also recommend getting the DnG Pan and the SnS Charcoal Basket. All three pieces have specific functions in the WSCG.

Comment

• cosmo
          cosmo commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks Dave (Biased? No! LOL) Definitely have room, I measured last night just to be sure.

So where does the charcoal basket fit into the equation. The SnS and DnG make sense, but doesn't the WSC come w/baskets already? Also, how would you use differently vs the SnS? Just curious.

Our charcoal basket holds as much charcoal as both of the Weber baskets and has a double plated radiant barrier to keep the indirect side cooler. When you use it on the lower grate of the WSCG, and place the DnG Pan on the opposite side, top charcoal grate level, it gives you a nice two zone setup with distant radiant heat. It's also a great smoking setup (as is the SnS LP with DnG Pan).

fzxdoc might have some thoughts on this as well =)

Comment

I have the smaller, table-free version and really, really enjoy it. Granted, this was my first "real" grill, so I did a ton of research. I decided not to get the bigger version to save some space, although I could easily see the benefit of the extra storage. Fortunately, my gas grill is adjacent, so a lot of the extra "stuff" goes under the gas grill.

It's super versatile, pretty forgiving, and very well made. Haven't regretted buying it once. I recommend it; you'll like it!

Comment

I love my WSCGC. To me it has the best of most worlds--it's a heckuva kettle with more real estate than a Performer, and a darn good smoker.

I have the SnS, DnG and the Charcoal Basket customized for the WSCG by the ABCBBQ folks. I consider all three excellent additions to the WSCGC. The SnS/DnG combo is the best ever for reverse searing as well as for pretty tasty smokes where you don't need the entire grill. I'm still struggling with getting a pretty smoke ring on my WSCGC kamado-option smoking. Not a problem with the SnS. Not that you can taste a smoke ring, but hey, I love the looks.

I was never happy with my reverse sear results on the WSCGC until I started using the SnS for that. I had tried all sorts of techniques, but the concentrated heat from the SnS has made some of the best reverse-seared steaks and chops ever for me.

I haven't used the Charcoal Basket as much yet except for 2-zone cooking. It's way nicer than those flimsy baskets that come with the Weber.

And I never smoke or grill without that DnG pan. It makes cleanup so much easier, and it's a nice griddle too, both on my WSCGC and on the Weber gasser. It also helps with heat uniformity when using the SnS and the large Charcoal Basket.

I don't regret getting the "center" with the WSCG. It's such a nice sturdy addition and it's great to have that table available with the storage underneath. I'm an "a place for everything and everything in its place" sort of person, so getting the table/cart with the WSCG suits my needs perfectly.

Kathryn

Comment

fzxdoc Thanks, think I am going to pull the trigger next week. Very helpful. Yeah, I like the cart aspect of the center, think it is worth it in the long run for me.

Does SnS/DnG ever go on sale?

Lastly, pretty sure I can get the WSGC for $1,750 which is what is prompting this. Ever hear of it this cheap?

Comment

cosmo, I don't think you'll regret your decision. That table is nice and sturdy and I use every inch of it. I don't store my charcoal in the bin, although you certainly could. I don't like storing charcoal outside, no matter how tight the lid. I store it sealed in Rubbermaid tubs in my attached garage.

I think the SnS/DnG/Large Charcoal Basket WSCG combo (low profile) is a great addition. You can certainly hold off on that purchase until you get a few cooks under your belt. I enjoy using the kettle portion of it to its full advantage, and the ABC Barbecue combo allows for that.

$1750 is a great price. Some folks here have gotten a marvelous deal on the WSCG, but off the top of my head I don't a price for the WSCGCenter that's better than what you're getting. I paid $1999 for mine plus $15 for them to assemble it, $59 for the grill cover (a must!) and $14 for that Weber Charcoal Rake which is nice for scooting the coals around for the kamado cooks. And of cour$e I paid them to deliver it from the dealer 2.5 hours away.

This smoker is so much fun because it's well built, from a reputable company, and lets me approximate the smokes that folks here get on their BGEs/Kamado Joes as well as what other folks get with their kettle cooks, with/without the SnS family of goodies.

The kettle size is great--bigger than a Performer, and not that much smaller than the 26 inch kettle. I have yet to exceed its space allotment --I've done 3 turkey breasts or 3 meatloaves or 5 chuckies on it in kamado mode. I'm not sure there's any more cooking space on the 26 inch Kettle once the SnS gets nested into it.

All in all, when it comes to smoker experiences, it provides a heckuva ride.

Kathryn
                Last edited by fzxdoc; July 9, 2017, 01:50 PM.

Comment

I am in the exact place that you are fzxdoc. Where are you able to get the WSGC for 1750? 1999 is the lowest I have seen?

Comment

Originally posted by [email protected] View Post
                    I am in the exact place that you are fzxdoc. Where are you able to get the WSGC for 1750? 1999 is the lowest I have seen?
                    Actually it's cosmo who's getting that price, mjthomas993 . I paid $1999 for mine last summer.

Kathryn

Comment

I can't try to talk you out of it, because I want one myself!

Comment

Sorry - I can't talk you out of it either. It's a great piece. Versatile. I find the temps incredibly easy to control. The onboard lighter is a nice addition (but I still tend to use a chimney). You're not going to regret it.

Comment

mjthomas993 Ordered from US Appliance. Pricing online still says $1,999 but if you call there is promo pricing of $1,749

http://www.us-appliance.com/18501001...SABEgIsgPD_BwE
                          Last edited by cosmo; July 11, 2017, 12:15 PM. Reason: Update - just as FYI I am aware of negative reviews of this place on the net but willing to give it a try. I charged on card w/very good customer service so if it goes south will get a refund.

Comment

I think you will love it, as I love mine. Make sure to get the charcoal rake, it's invaluable. I don't have the SnS or any of the other adrenaline BBQ stuff for it yet, but I keep reading fzxdoc postings on them and Each time it gets me closer to pulling the trigger.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                            No announcement yet.
                            Working...
                            X
                            false
                            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                            false
                            false
                            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                            Yes
                            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here