Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Weber Summit Charcoal Grill Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Weber Summit Charcoal Grill Question

In Max Good's review of the WSCG, he wrote Weber provides a port for a thermostat temperature controller. I'm curious which opening(s) in the WSCG might support a BBQ Guru (or like electronics)? I fear it is painfully obvious but I'm too old to be embarrassed any longer. So thoughts anyone?

I believe there is a port specifically and solely for that use that is plugged with a cover when not in use. I saw it on someone's YouTube video, maybe Baby Back Maniac.

Comment

There's a port towards the bottom on the same side as the propane ignition system.

Comment

No question should embarrass you here - it's a good question. Baby Back Maniac - do you have anything in your video arsenal that shows this port in use and your set-up of it?

Comment

• CaptainMike
          CaptainMike commented
          Editing a comment
          I used to think that there was no such thing as a stupid question until I started working with inmates.

• tbob4
          tbob4 commented
          Editing a comment
          CaptainMike - Hahahahaha! I had to literally print my own "How baby's are made" manual for 24 year olds. I got tired of explaining that 6lb healthy babies could not be full term in 3 months. It was just fish and egg stuff. After the small group session the two phones in the dayroom were booked.

• CaptainMike
          CaptainMike commented
          Editing a comment
          OMG, I just about choked on my coffee!!! My wife, who is a Court Reporter, totally gets it as well! Still, I had a lot of fun working with those guys as there was never a dull moment.

This might help:

Comment

Many thanks for all the responses!! After reading your answers, I went back into the Assembly/Owner's Manual and still did not find any reference to a port so I googled the aforementioned question and found a youtube video which shows the installation of a BBQ Guru thermostat. I initially thought someone made press in seals for the bottom vents and one mounted a thermostat controller to the third opening but that was an incorrect assumption on my part.

Prior to purchasing this newest member of my charcoal consuming family, I did see Baby Back Maniac's review of the WSCG but did not recall seeing the port mentioned, however, my primary focus was on the quality and versatility of the WSCG. I haven't done any extended smokes yet (read low and slow) just ribs, meatloaf, and boneless pork loin chops. I usually cook on the weekends utilizing our vacuum sealer so meals for the week are prepared ahead of time.

Comment

Thanks RonB, as I was typing my response you posted the very video I mentioned in my response! Great to have a community of folk who are helpful and supportive!

Comment

Since this appears to be your first post - Welcome to the Pit from Northern CA. Even though you mention you haven't done an overnighter on your new BBQ how do you like your WSCG so far?

Comment

Flying Fur, Welcome to "The Pit"! You are Now Enrolled in the BBQ Univ.! Attendance and Participation are Mandatory! Enjoy "The Pit"!
                You will enjoy Your BBQGURU TempControl on Your WSMG!
                Eat Well and Prosper! From a Backyard Cremator in Fargo ND, Dan

Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpeg
Views:	640
Size:	79.3 KB
ID:	282764Click image for larger version

Views:	596
Size:	88.1 KB
ID:	282765Click image for larger version

Views:	590
Size:	203.3 KB
ID:	282766

Comment

tbob & Danjohnston9, many thanks for the extended first welcomes! I seldom post but read pretty much everything regarding charcoal, recipes, and techniques. Hard to imagine I have actually been here for approximately 10 months.

tbob, I haven't had the WSCG long enough to pass judgement on it as a grill/smoker but I can say as an all in one unit it is terrific and appears to be well constructed (with the one exception of the omission of the port in my owner's manual). Up until now I've been using my Weber kettle with SnS and WSM 22.5. It was my experiences with these pieces of equipment that I decided to get something insulated or double skinned because my yearning for BBQ is a twelve month desire while the climate would limit me to 7-8 months. When low and slow begins to cross over the twelve hour mark, it ceases to be fun for me so as I was researching kamado type grills I found the WSCG on sale and purchased it after some extensive review research.

I need to make a decision on a thermostat temperature controller, perhaps I can find one which will work on both the WSM and the WSCG. Right now I smoke the meat on the WSGC and make the side dishes or dessert on the WSM.

Comment

• Thunder77
                    Thunder77 commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I didn't know that the WSCG had ever been on sale.

Oh and Welcome to The Pit!

Comment

After a few test fires, a 10lb shoulder, and a brisket on my new WSCG...I've found temps very easy to control. After a couple early adjustments during the burns/cooks it seems to hold temps reasonably steady, and it responds quickly to very small adjustments to the upper vent. my opinion is that money put into a thermometer is better than the temp controller. But that's only based off of my own test sample size.

Comment

• xaugievike
                      xaugievike commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Also...welcome. From one newb to another

• EdF
                      EdF commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Somehow, that's just unsurprising. Congrats on the new rig!

Thunder77, thanks for the welcome and I was fortunate to visit a Weber dealer and garden center at the beginning of the year and purchased the WSCG for $999 brand new in a sealed box. Manager told me they were discounting grills and smokers because they had new shipments coming and needed the space--made me happy! Apparently their foot traffic was nil in January so I benefitted from their slow season.

xaugievike, thanks for the feedback on the shoulder and brisket (now I'm hungry again)! From all the reviews I've read, most seem to suggest the WSCG holds a fairly steady temperature so good to hear you had a similar experience!

EdF, thanks for the congratulations! With all this BBQ talk, I need a bbq sauce IV drip!

Comment

• Barrettd
                      Barrettd commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Oh my goodness. If I could find the WSCG for that price, I'd definitely pick one up. I kind of feel like that's about the right price for it. Congrats!

• CandySueQ
                      CandySueQ commented
                      Editing a comment
                      What a great deal!

Welcome Flying Fur

Comment

• Flying Fur
                      Flying Fur commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Thank you!

What a great price on your WSCG, Flying Fur! Congrats on the find.

I love cooking on mine--love the versatility of having a smoker and a kettle all in one. I find the temperature really easy to manage, and I find that the thermometer on the front is surprisingly accurate over a certain range.

Briskets on my WSCGC turn out great--I don't have the need to wrap because it seems to power nicely through the stall-- a very slow rise in temp as opposed to the dead-in-the-water type of stall.

For smoking, I used to start the WSCGC with a Soo Donut method, but recently a fellow Pitster here said to turn the ignition on for 5 minutes, and it worked great when I tried that last weekend. I may retire the chickory coffee can used for the SD method if I continue to get good results with the ignition method.

When I first bought the WSCGC, folks here recommended that I stay away from using the ignition for smoking (as directed in the manual) because I would get runaway temps. So now, several months later, I'm happy to learn that my temps are solid if I ignite for 5 minutes instead of the 7 minutes recommended by the manual.

Kathryn

Comment

• Spinaker
                      Spinaker commented
                      Editing a comment
                      So......I guess your still loving it!?

• fzxdoc
                      fzxdoc commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Sure am, Spinaker!

• Flying Fur
                      Flying Fur commented
                      Editing a comment
                      fzxdoc, Thanks for the "field tested" information. I have not tried the ignition system yet, I'll publicly admit I'm very attached to my Weber chimney starter and my Maxwell House coffee can for the Soo Donut method too! I'll need to get a container to try the gas ignition system.

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                  Yes
                  ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                  /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here