Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Talk me out of a new Weber Summit Charcoal...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Talk me out of a new Weber Summit Charcoal...

I am ready to pull the trigger on a Summit Charcoal. I already have a Performer, a WSM 18 and 22. I even have the Weber fire pit, which I have never seen another one. This seems like a way to streamline. I cook a lot. I do about 6-8 catering gigs per season. The reviews are stellar, but I am looking for cons (other than price). Let me know what you think.

Paulie Why do you want it? What will it do that you can't already do? If you need more space there a lot more other cookers that can do that.

Comment

I know you mentioned other than price......There are so many other choices at that price point. Yoder YS640, MAK STAR 2, Yoder Wichita, Good One Open Range the list goes on. And they all give you a ton of capacity. From the stand point of "What else could I get for that price", the other options are no brainers. I just don't see how the purchase of the Summit will stream line your cooking.
      Last edited by Spinaker; May 25, 2016, 09:05 AM.

Comment

I say buy it and cook your heart out with it and don't forget pics we love pics. 😊

Comment

Why would you want to be talked out of it? 😃😃 If you want it and it's in your budget, go for it! You could always ditch one of the WSMs.

Comment

I own a WSCG, and the one down side I can see for you is If you do catering, you probably need more cooking real estate than the WSCG offers. As Spinnaker stated you have many other options that can provide you with that real estate in the same price range.

Another downside is you will need to come up the learning curve, as this beast doesn't behave like either the kettle/performer or the WSM.

On the positive side, it will stream line your cooking, as it offers more temperature control and stability than the WSM, and it can reach higher grilling temps than your kettle/performer.
            Last edited by wbzipf; May 24, 2016, 04:06 PM.

Comment

I bought mine, sold the Performer and the WSM 18 is under a tree looking for a new home. I haven't missed either. I smoked a butt and 2 racks of ribs Sunday with the ribs on the extender thingie(sort of like a HoverGrill) and could have done another 3 butts at least if I was just putting the butts on the grill instead of in a pan.

I guess I'm not being much help in talking you out of anything, sorry....

Comment

Someone mentioned higher temps and someone else mentioned pics? The SCG was due for a cleaning so this afternoon I lit a chimney of B&B briquettes over the gas lighter for 15 minutes, dumped it out and came back 20-30 minutes later to see this:
                Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0284.JPG
Views:	409
Size:	76.5 KB
ID:	172051

Yeah, it'll get hot.

Comment

• billg71
                  billg71 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Oh, it's definitely unreliable. But whether it's really 850 or 950 it's still HOT. It wouldn't go any further.

• xaugievike
                  xaugievike commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I actually have found the dial on my WSCG to be almost bang-on with my (T-works smoke thermo's).

• RonB
                  RonB commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Did ya count how many times it spun around?

Double post
                Last edited by billg71; May 25, 2016, 04:19 AM.

Comment

I have one, so I am not really the guy to talk you out of it. That said they are very versatile and have pretty much all the space you will need for home cooking. Get one.

Comment

Paulie - If I were going to spend that kind of cash, I'd get a Kamado Joe. There are many more accessories at this point for the KJ. Both will get you to the same point, but I feel at this point, the Kamado Joe is a better deal. Further, the warranty on the Kamado Joe can't be beat. The KJ gives you a bigger bang for the buck.

Comment

• CeramicChef
                      CeramicChef commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Beefchop - you'll also want the Divide and Conquer (D & C) system. That system is worth its weight in gold. I swear those Costco Road Show bargain just can't beat.

• Pequod
                      Pequod commented
                      Editing a comment
                      CeramicChef, Beefchop - the Divide & Conquer system comes standard with the Kamado Joe Classic and Big Joe. Agree about its value, and it is included. There are other accessories you can add, of course, but it really is ready to cook out of the box.

• CeramicChef
                      CeramicChef commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Pequod - thanks for clearing that up for us. Appreciate the help.

The Summit Charcoal gives you a Kamado and a Weber kettle in one appliance. Consider that. I have one and got rid of my Broil King Keg (A great machine that does one thing but does it well). My son got it, and he loves it, and Broil King makes a great Kamado.
                    But if you are "space challenged" on your deck as I am, having "one grill to rule them all" had some appeal for me.
                    Still have a Weber Summit gas grill from 2005 that i use occasionally, but the Summit Charcoal does the heavy lifting now.

Comment

Originally posted by Paulie View Post
                      I am ready to pull the trigger on a Summit Charcoal. I already have a Performer, a WSM 18 and 22. I even have the Weber fire pit, which I have never seen another one. This seems like a way to streamline. I cook a lot. I do about 6-8 catering gigs per season. The reviews are stellar, but I am looking for cons (other than price). Let me know what you think.
                      Paulie, I think you came to the wrong forum if you wanted to be talked out of buying any new smoker.

Comment

• CeramicChef
                        CeramicChef commented
                        Editing a comment
                        billg71 - I see your ability to discern the obvious is still unimpaired!

• billg71
                        billg71 commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Guest, I'm just thankful I have anything left that's unimpaired at almost 63! As an instructor in ET A school said repeatedly to our class 44 years ago: "Obvious to the most oblivious observer". I don't remember his name but I remember the statement.
                        Getting old sucks!
                        Last edited by billg71; May 29, 2016, 06:17 PM.

Talk you out of spending money on a new toy..? Yeah, sorry...not really in my nature. LOL

​IF it's within the budget, I say go for it. You could always retire one of the WSMs...and quite possibly even the Performer. Unless you NEED that extra real estate for a catering gig obviously.

Comment

I don't think you can make a good decision in a coat and tie. Put on an apron and a ball cap so you can think straight! Just kidding... you'll make the right decision. Sip on a Knob Creek and toke on that Arturo Fuente and your inhibitions will disappear and you'll end up with a pride and joy. Just buy it!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                        No announcement yet.
                        Working...
                        X
                        false
                        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                        false
                        false
                        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                        Yes
                        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here