Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Latest cook on WSCG (with DigiQ)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Latest cook on WSCG (with DigiQ)

On Friday I started my third cook on the WSCG, this time it was a 17# full brisket. I used Oakridge Black Ops brisket rub (which was phenomenally good).

First, it couldn't be easier to set up the DigiQ, and I love how you can just leave the adapter hooked up with the kill plug in and use it with out the DigiQ. The DidgiQ worked well, but it overshot the set temperature (225f) by about 40 f to begin with and it took me ratcheting back on the top damper to bring it down to 225f. It took about 20 min to get back to the set temp.

After it cooked for 15 hours this is how it looked

Because I did the cook overnight, I was comforted to know I had the DidgiQ, but in all honesty, except for overnight cooks, I don't think I will use my DidgiQ on this cooker. You see, I found it almost easier to dial in a set temperature and maintain that temp without the ATC.

Oh, and that 15 hour cook, might have consumed 1/3 a bag of kingsford coal. This is a very efficient cooker!

Here is the finished product.

I just got the CyberQ and found that I needed to partially close the damper around 150* to not overshoot the set temp. I think I'll try closing the damper on the fan to about 50% next time.

Comment

• wbzipf
      wbzipf commented
      Editing a comment
      Yeah, that's a good suggestion to close the fan damper. I will try that next time.

• jlazar
      jlazar commented
      Editing a comment
      I have the Digiq dx2. I leave the fan damper open when cooking chicken and turkey. All others at about 225, I close the fan damper 50%.

wbzipf, RonB, Nice Looking Brisket, WB! Gents, I have a DigiQ-2 on my 22 1/2" Weber Kettle, with S 'n S, and a 20 Ga SS Baffle that sits on the Coal Grate between the Water Resevoir and the Sides of the Kettle! The Baffle forces all of the air supplied by the DigiQ-2 Fan under the Coals! When Lighting, I normally start with the std ABC lighting Procedure of 12-14 Lit Coals topped with the balance of unlit coals and Wood Chunks! Vent are Set with Bottom Closed and the Top Vent +- 1/8 Open and the Fan set to the First Line! The DigiQ-2 Provides all of the Air from Start to Finish! I am not Saying this is Right or Wrong but it Works for Me unless I don't get the Lid in Place Correctly! If the Lid is Slightly out of Place the Temp Spikes! Eat Well and Prosper! From Fargo ND, Dan

Comment

• wbzipf
      wbzipf commented
      Editing a comment
      Nice! So how did you drill the whole for the DigiQ?

• Danjohnston949
      Danjohnston949 commented
      Editing a comment
      I bought a Sheet Metal Hole Punch Kit form Harbor Freight Tools (+-$20.00)! I drilled I Pilot Hole 1/8" from the inside out and increased the Dia up to 1/2" for the the Bolt for the Punch and Punched the Dia up to 7/8"!
      A little of Screwing Arround but a Perfect Fit! Dan

• RonB
      RonB commented
      Editing a comment
      When I drilled my holes, I used a step bit. That allows you to increase the hole size in steps. I was worried about deforming the kettle if I punched it.

Looks great! wbzipf : Did you cook that brisket in the pan the entire time? Does it still form bark on the bottom like that? The last brisket I did on my WSC, I put the pan on the deflector, under the meat. Wondering if I should try something new?

Comment

wbzipf your brisket looks absolutely delicious. You knocked that one out of the park!

Comment

wbzipf - that's one very fine brisket cook. Congrats and kudos to you. Any left overs you'd care to send to ChezChef here in OKC?

Comment

Originally posted by kingdarb View Post
          Looks great! Guest : Did you cook that brisket in the pan the entire time? Does it still form bark on the bottom like that? The last brisket I did on my WSC, I put the pan on the deflector, under the meat. Wondering if I should try something new?
          There is bark on the bottom, only it's a little more gray. I keep the fat cap on the bottom. The key is to drain the juices midway through the cook (but do so into a fat separator, that way you have au jus). I like using the pan as it really keeps the mess down. I started using this approach after reading Myron Mixon's books, where he advises to cook in the pan. I figure if it works for him, it will work for me.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here