Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Just Bought a Weber Summit Charcoal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just Bought a Weber Summit Charcoal

So I have been kicking a lot of tires lately. I have had a real -want- to add another cooker to the backyard collection. Prior to today I had a Kamado Joe Classic and a Weber Spirit E-310 NG. I do most of my cooking on the KJ, but I do from time to time use the gasser for ease of use and overflow. That said I often find myself wanting for space on the KJ, and I really do prefer the flavour from the charcoal.

I had greatly debated buying the KBQ, but in the end did not (for now), mostly because they are pretty strict where I live with open-burn bylaws and I have nosy neighbours. I still may look to get one of those fellas at some point. I also looked at adding another kamado, in particular the Big Joe, as I have gotten decent at cooking with my KJ and I really dig the food that comes off it. That said, I think I may hold off on another ceramic cooker until I can afford a KK at some point. I had also looked at some insulated charcoal cabinets and pellet cookers but in the end, decided against them.

Fast forward to present day. I stopped by InsideOut patio in Toronto to have a look at some of the various cookers there. As with many, I was skeptical about the price tag on the new Weber Summit charcoal cooker. That changed for me once I had a chance to lay eyes and hands on it. The owner at the store (who I know and trust) has test driven one of these cookers quite a bit, and they appear to be very capable with excellent temperature control. It is very obvious that a lot of thought was put into the design of this cooker and the fit and finish are excellent. It is sturdy, and has some heft to it (though obviously not as much as a ceramic kamado). I really like that the grate is hinged. Being able to add charcoal/manipulate charcoal during a cook as a great advantage over the KJ, where I currently have to take all the innards out to do either of these tasks. The cooking surface is at least as big as a Big Joe, and I really like that I can easily/quickly bring the temperature down if I overshoot or need to cook something hot, then need to cool the cooker down for something else after. It also seems to come with most of the doo-dads and whatnots needed to get started.

So at the end of the day, I ended up buying the thing. I got the version without the cart, as I may build a custom cart for the Joe and the Weber.

I haven't had a chance to put this fella together yet (I will likely do that tomorrow), and I'll do a test burn with some lump after I get it together to get a handle on the temperature control. I'll take some pics tomorrow after I've assembled the adult-lego. For now, I have attached a picture of my box.

Congrats!

Comment

Coolness.

Comment

Great purchase! You'll have to keep us posted on how you like it as you do your first few cooks on it. I'm glad the price tag didn't scare you off, since it was what you really wanted in the end.

Kathryn

Comment

We are waiting for the full review.

Comment

Congrats! Yes pics are in order!

Comment

Well now, that ain't none too nice. Gettin' everybody all fired up, then leaving us with nothing but a picture of a box. Every doggone reader here wants a peek inside that cardboard. You must have some crazy self discipline leaving it parked like that. I'd be up all night smoking a hunk of cow on that sucker, then calling in sick tomorrow.
              Have fun on that grill.

Comment

Congrats, also looking for some pictures of something good to eat.

Comment

Congratulations kingdarb! Now let's get your gear, including this new toy, into your signature!

Comment

kingdarb - WOWZERS! Congrats to you on your new cookers. I'm looking forward to your comparison report on the KJ vs Weber Summit.

Comment

Congrats! Can't wait to see some pics.

Comment

Congratulations on the purchase! I'm curious as to what the store would have charged for them to assemble it?

Comment

They would have put it together for no cost. The store is a bit of a drive away from me though (about an hour) and I thought it would be a bit unweildly to haul that thing around assembled in the back of a pickup. I have always put bbq's together though, and if this is anything like the other Weber I own, then it should go together pretty easily.

Of course today where I am at it is freezing rain, so today may not be the day I get to test drive the cooker.

Comment

This is great, as I am considering purchaseing one, I egarly look forward to your comments and reviews.

Comment

wbzipf : I likely won't be doing much outside with it in the garage today due to the crap weather where I am at. That said I will likely unbox it, register the warranty, etc., so I should be able to give you some feedback from that. If you have any specific questions, let me know. With the hands-on that I had at the store, everything about it seemed to be very well made and well thought out. I guess we will see how well the double-wall air insulation does vs my KJ, but a friend who has put one through its paces says that he has an easier time controlling temp on this vs his BGE. He has owned the BGE for a long time and has cooked a lot on it. The Weber has a huge amount (at least for me when comparing to my KJ Classic and my Weber Spirit e-310) of cooking space. With the charcoal baskets provided and the heat deflector, there are a couple of different ways to set up two-zone cooking.

I really want to try a couple racks of ribs and some steaks to put the Weber through its paces but the weather is horrid right now. Ah well. I need to get a new license plate sticker anyhow...

Comment

• wbzipf
                                wbzipf commented
                                Editing a comment
                                Thanks, I would be interested in how easy it is to put together and if there are any struggles to achieve the same fit you found in the store.

Beyond that, I am really interested in hearing about both your attempts to grill and smoke.

Announcement

Collapse
                            No announcement yet.
                            Working...
                            X
                            false
                            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                            false
                            false
                            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                            Yes
                            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here