Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Just Got A FireBoard Drive 2 With Fan Need Tips

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just Got A FireBoard Drive 2 With Fan Need Tips

Just got the FireBoard Drive 2 and trying to do it right from the start !What setting on top and fan vent with Pit Viper fan? Do i open the top half way and fan adjustment vent half way? Looking for all your tips to make my overnight cooks a success.
    TIA

First tip, as always: do a dry run with the FireBoard. It will help you a ton.

I set the top vent on my kettle to 30-40% open (depends on summer/winter), and the bottom vent fully closed.

My fan (pit viper) is always 100% open. Not sure which version you’re using.

Congrats on a great device!

Comment

You probably know this, but just to make sure, you want the fan to supply all the air, so bottom vent closed. The top vent is not critical just as long as it's in the ballpark. If the top vent is open too far, it may get more air than ya want and run too hot with the fan off, and if it's not open far enough, the fan may not be able to force enough air through your cooker to reach your temp. I've never had either of those things happen and I run my Kettle top vent about 1/4 open and have no problems.

As Henrik mentioned, a dry run is a good idea. That way you can fiddle with it and see what happens if you leave the top vent all the way open, or almost fully closed. You may be surprised how well the fan can handle temps, and you should find out the range for the vent where the fan can control the temp.

Comment

Originally posted by Henrik View Post
        First tip, as always: do a dry run with the FireBoard. It will help you a ton.

I set the top vent on my kettle to 30-40% open (depends on summer/winter), and the bottom vent fully closed.

My fan (pit viper) is always 100% open. Not sure which version you’re using.

Congrats on a great device!
        Thanks >PIT BULL 25 CFM FAN

Comment

If I'm looking to achieve higher temps like 325 or higher I set the top vent to about half open. For low n' slow about a 1/3 open. That's for the kettles. For the Weber Summit it's a little less for each as that thing gets hot fast and often over shoots my target temp. In ALL situations the bottom vent is closed. I do however have all vents wide open initially until I get to about 50 degrees from my target temp. I think it just helps speed things up and helps to power through the dirty smoke faster.

For Lid Detection I set them for 3 minutes for the kettles and 7 for the Summit.

Comment

The Fireboard will figure out the fan, let it run all the air from the bottom. I’ve found that my WSM hold temps better if I keep the top vent a little more closed than it would normally be for the temp I’m trying to hit. That means I shut the top vent too where I should get 225 and set the fan at 250. This seems to give the Fireboard better control than having too much air and having the temp way overshoot and then waiting for things to cool back down. When I rise the temp on the Fireboard once it gets there I will open the top vent a little more so the fan isn’t continuously having to run to hold the temp.

It’s really easy, after a couple of uses you’ll learn to just hook it up and not worry about what it does like the oven in Kitchen.

Comment

Going to smoke 2 BB tomorrow early morning. This way i can monitor the cook and next time will be an overnighter! Thanks for all your info was very helpful!

Comment

Dang it I missed this thread. I was trying to use the Summit with FireBoard and pit viper. I saw on Reddit someone mentioned they run the viper fan half open and set the max power to 75%.

Sounds like most people run the fan fully open and the max fan power at the default

I tried mine last night using the 1/2 open and 75% max power. It ran great for 4 hours but then started losing pit temperature.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here