Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My first cook…

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My first cook…

I fired up the E6 tonight. While my cook sucked, I am blown away by this cooker. I lit a half chimney of charcoal, and cooked the meat, then a good while after I pulled the meat, I went out to put on the corn pudding and spam. Oh cool! The temp gauge was still at 250! So I opened it up, and there was very little charcoal left. But it was like a Thermos in holding the heat. Wow! So I had to light a few more coals to cook the corn pudding and spam.

The pork belly was beautiful! The brisket was terrible. I was given a couple tiny 3/4’ to 1” thick slabs of meat the butcher had cut out of my friend’s steer. They thought it looked different than my briskets, but he insisted this was how you cut a brisket. (Typical for butchers around here. Some of these guys can hack and grind meat, but that’s about it.)

There was no marbling at all. I took it to 208 before I gave up and sliced it and put it in the InstantPot for 25 minutes. It was still tough. Didn’t taste very good either. Not sure what I should have done.

At least the pork belly was great. Perfection, in fact! I can’t wait to put a real brisket on this thing. As rock steady as it held, it’s gotta be a fantastic brisket smoking machine.

Attached Files

Look at the color on those bellies! Yum!

Comment

Simply marvelous!

Comment

Dang man those bellies!!!!!

I hear you on the brisket. I cooked one for my pastor that appeared to be a maze of multiple muscles going every which way but loose and weighed a whopping 4 pounds, I think. It likely came off a 500 pound calf.

Comment

Spam, if it can cook spam I'm sold.
          Next try Spam burnt ends with a sweet rub.

Comment

I’m not listening to any of this…I wish I wasn’t so stubborn!

That looks simply fantastic! I have cooker envy and I just don’t get that very often

Comment

• Andrrr
              Andrrr commented
              Editing a comment
              A kamado would serve you well in these cold winter months!

• Allon
              Allon commented
              Editing a comment
              Of coarse you're not listening to this...

You're reading this!

😉

+1 on those beautiful pictures!

Comment

Nice cook, despite the onery brisket. That pork belly is gorgeous.

Good to hear you're liking your new toy.

Kathryn

Comment

• BBQandLove
                BBQandLove commented
                Editing a comment
                Thank you. I don’t know what was going on with that brisket. It didn’t even taste good. I had a bad feeling about it when they handed it to me. I don’t know… It was the weirdest thing.

Congrats on your first cook!

Comment

That bellie look great!

Comment

Looks great!

Comment

Great looking pork belly. I have never cooked one, wife doesn't seem very excited about tasting one. I will have to give it a try.

Comment

Love my Weber Summit!

Comment

Some chunks of meat are just that way no matter what you do. Of course if I tell my wife it was the meat - not my cook she's likely to roll her eyes and give me one of those "yeah right" looks.

Comment

• BBQandLove
                          BBQandLove commented
                          Editing a comment
                          It also tasted pretty pathetic. Edible, but just barely . Really weird. If I was a beginner, I would be discouraged. But I’ve cooked many many briskets with success

Announcement

Collapse
                      No announcement yet.
                      Working...
                      X
                      false
                      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                      false
                      false
                      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                      Yes
                      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here