Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Looking hard at the Weber Kamado for my SIL. Got questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Looking hard at the Weber Kamado for my SIL. Got questions

My daughter and SIL just bought a house....in Denmark. I'm limited to what I can get them and the prices are considerably higher than the USA. I'm thinking the Weber Kamado without the table fits the bill and looks to be an amazing all around cooker. I love my Primo but this seems like it'll do everything that does but it's a lot cheaper.

What are your complaints, things that I should be aware of? I saw a video that baby back maniac complained about the lack of tools that accompany the unit. What things do you definitely need to buy in addition to the cooker to operate this kamado?

I never cover my ceramic kamado. Does this need a cover?

Are there the same accesories available for this as the kettle?

I can't imagine I'll have any regrets but I'm all jacked up and excited for them so maybe I'm missing something.

Your thoughts will be greatly appreciated. Thanks

I don't know what the humidity is in Chilltown, USA or Denmark, but if you tried to keep one here in Florida uncovered you'd be taking it to the trash in about a year and a half.

Comment

• Butchman
      Butchman commented
      Editing a comment
      Actually, I've had mine for years and I leave it out in the weather uncovered 24/7, though I did bring it under the trusses for hurrican Ian.
      No sign that the rain and humidity has done anything to it.

I would recommend getting the ceramic spacers and 18" drip pan from The Ceramic Grill store. The deflector plate is just one single layer of sheet metal. So putting a drip directly on it will make the drippings boil even at low n' slow temps. The original for the Summit is two layers with space in between which I assume would cause less of chance of boiling drippings.

My only complaint (and this is probably for any kamado style cooker) is all the stuff you have to remove during a cook if you have to add fuel, wood chunks etc when in kamado mode. As far as accessories, SnS makes a low profile SnS specifically to fit the Summit/E6. It's ridiculously priced though. The grills also come with a fan port.

Comment

• Jessterr
      Jessterr commented
      Editing a comment
      I’ve done a number of pork butt cooks on mine of about 10 hrs each. I start with a full load of lump with chunks, in kamado mode, knowing I’ll salvage unburned charcoal after the cook. Always have about half the charcoal remaining unburned. IMO, 16 hrs would be easy, could probably get 20-24. This is at South Carolina temperatures, Denmark is considerably cooler of course.

• Rod
      Rod commented
      Editing a comment
      JCBBQ I haven't had to cook anything yet that needed more than 12hrs. Based off that experience, how much fuel I started with and what was left, I could easily see 20hrs probably fully loaded. Though that may produce too much ash and choke out the flame. When I talk about adding fuel if needed, it's for shorter cooks. I've only had it for about a year and still learning how much fuel I need for various cooks. If I under estimate is when pulling all that out to add is a PITA.

• Andrrr
      Andrrr commented
      Editing a comment
      JCBBQ I’m sure ceramics are probably more fuel efficient but I don’t foresee you ever running out of coals.

To set the stage we had some people over yesterday with a big pork shoulder and some shorties as a chefs cut. My plan was to put the shoulder on Friday night for an overnighter, pull it whenever it was done in the morning and hold in the oven until I was ready to reset the bark. In the meantime I would time out the short ribs

I personally go for ceramics over the metal kamados. The only metal kamado I had rusted out after 4 years or so. I am not saying that will happen with the Weber. But all metal rusts and corrodes overtime. Ash is highly corrosive and when it gets wet or sucks up moisture, it is even more so. I am just speaking from my own personal experience. I am sure the Weber Summit is better than the Broil King Keg I had, but I would never go down that metal kamado road again.

Now there is the fragility of ceramics, yes. That is always a concern, but I have never had any issues with any of mine cracking. I just try to be careful. You can get a BGE or KJ for about the same price. And both of these brands are great with customer service and warrantees. I own both brands, and I love them. Plus BGE and KJ have systems to let you pull out all the guts at once to get access to the fire really easily. (Big Green Egg- EGGspander Kit)

Not trying to knock the Weber, I know a lot of folks love them. This is just my two cents.

Comment

• JCBBQ
      JCBBQ commented
      Editing a comment
      Kettles seem to last a long time. Do you have a kettle? Did it rust out?

• Spinaker
      Spinaker commented
      Editing a comment
      Yeah, I do have one. it is not rusted out. But there are a lot more places for ash and moisture to catch in the Summit, as opposed to the simple bowl of the kettle.

• BBQandLove
      BBQandLove commented
      Editing a comment
      The big difference is, the Broilking is painted. The Weber is porcelain coated. Makes a huge difference.

I posted this in another thread, but you don’t need ceramic spacers. Get a 17-18" deep dish pizza pan off Amazon for $15, Then put the charcoal baskets that come with the Weber on top of the heat deflector (they sit perfectly in the center of it) and the pizza pans sit perfectly on top of them. Ive cooked plenty of briskets with this method and never had the drip pan more than half full.

if you need a cover there’s a couple places on Amazon that sell good quality covers for cheap. Mine has held up against the elements here in Montana without issue.

The Slow and sear low profile is the only add on I’ve used (I also have the cast iron center piece and some other stuff, I just never use them) The slow and sear is nice because you can cook in two zones, but something I’ve found is that while it can be a PITA to switch from the lower grate for smoking to the upper grate for grilling….. that I just push any charcoal on the bottom grate to one side and put the slow and sear on the opposite side if I’m in a hurry to grill…..I know some people just buy two grates, but the slow and sear is just so much easier and better for grilling.

As far as complaints. The Weber Summit is the most versatile smoker/BBQ I’ve ever owned and I couldn’t be happier. I came from a Kamado Joe and felt like it was crap compared to the Weber, I loved the ceramic aspect….but I had to replace the seal several times, the top would stick constantly and the powder coating/paint would bubble and gum up, the ash basket in the bottom fit kinda crappy and I’d find myself taking it apart too often to clean the bottom out. Also, for all the people talking about great customer service, I didn’t feel it was anything special.

Comment

• JCBBQ
      JCBBQ commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks! How long have you had your Weber kamado?

• surfdog
      surfdog commented
      Editing a comment
      +1 on the deep-dish “drip pan.”

I’ve had the Weber just this past year. Had Kamado Joes the last six years.

Don’t get me wrong I liked the KJ, the customer service was great at first. But after awhile it was just a hassle to get little things addressed. The biggest to me was the gasket which would compress down and leak smoke. The ash tray issue, and broken heat deflectors(which aren’t a big deal because you can get cheap ones off Amazon).

as far as cooking I’ve yet to find anything the KJ could do that the Weber cannot,

Comment

Here is a older review of the Weber Summit Kamado from Baby Back Maniac.

Comment

Originally posted by Smoked Transistors View Post
        Here is an older review of the Weber Summit Kamado from Baby Back Maniac.
        Something to keep in mind is that video review is five years old. The Weber has seen some changes and a major upgrade since it was released.

Comment

• JCBBQ
          JCBBQ commented
          Editing a comment
          Good to know

Hey for those who had ceramics and now have the weber kamado, how's the smoke difference? Would I be correct in assuming the smoke is more prevalent in the weber?

Comment

I’ve held 250 for 26 hours with the Weber, roughly the same as the KJ. Very comparable smoke flavoring and cook time/temp to me.

I know one thing I’ve had others tell me is that the KJ does a better job of holding in moisture. That’s really been a non factor for me as I’ve had no issues with meat drying out. I’ve also seen people talk about a better smoke ring with the KJ…but that has no influence on flavor or smoke (IMO)

Comment

I have a Summit charcoal (the WSCGC) and love it. Weber made a few changes when they brought out the “Kamado” though as I understand it. That said, I’m sure it’s still a solid cooker.

Mine lives on a covered patio, but I still use a cover to keep it more or less dust free.

If it’s the same as the Summit, it comes with ZERO tools or accessories. Nada, zilch, zip. Given the price, they should have included the charcoal rake (very handy) and a grate/grill lifter…also handy if not entirely necessary.

Some kettle accessories will work, but not all. Things like rotisseries won’t fly with the kamado…at least not regular/stock ones. But, the overall versatility makes up for some of those apparent “shortcomings.”

The one accessory that I think is a must have is a Vortex. Best forty bucks spent in a long time. Turns that beast into a bonafide wing cookin’ machine.

Comment

• Thunder77
              Thunder77 commented
              Editing a comment
              +1 on the Vortex!

I have a Primo Junior, a Primo XL, and a Weber Summit Kamado. I love all 3 of them, but the Weber ranks first on my list. Weight, ease of handling, and temperature control are all factors. The lid of the Primo XL is very heavy, and there is no spring assist in the hinge. The Summit is very easy to get to temperature, and maintains temps really well. The Primo does have the advantage of oval design, and split cooking grids, which I do like a lot. The Primo comes stock with a felt gasket, while the Weber has stainless steel woven gasket.
            I would say get both; they each have their advantages! 😜
            For me the choice would be the Summit Kamado. And I would get the Vortex to go with it. It’s awesome for chicken!
            Last edited by Thunder77; October 23, 2022, 07:09 AM.

Comment

Dammit. Now I have to kiss up to the wife for the Vortex😂

Comment

• Thunder77
              Thunder77 commented
              Editing a comment
              It’s only about $50. Surely you can spring that on the wife?? 😂

• MT_Cinnabear
              MT_Cinnabear commented
              Editing a comment
              Thunder sometimes it’s better to ask for forgiveness than permission.

• surfdog
              surfdog commented
              Editing a comment
              Get it…cook up a batch o’ wings…and she won’t even ask what you paid for it. ;-)

Besides, it’s cheaper than a guitar…or therapy.
              And MUCH cheaper than a GF that doesn’t ask what you spend on things. ROFL

I definitely recommend a cover. My deck is not covered. Had my WSCGC over five years in all kinds of weather and still looks and works great.

I also recommend the SnS Low Profile. Great for two zone cooking, including medium length cooks, and of course great searing, especially with the GrillGrates, which I also own. They make grates that fit the Summit.

Comment

One additional consideration of the WSK versus a ceramic kamado might be location. I do believe it gets pretty chilly in Denmark, and although I don’t own a ceramic kamado I have to believe that the amount of heat energy (= charcoal usage) and time required to get that large mass of ceramic up to temperature under cold conditions are both considerably greater than with the Weber. As others here, I’d also recommend a cover to protect this baby.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here