Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Slow N' Sear vs. Deflector for Boston Butt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Slow N' Sear vs. Deflector for Boston Butt

I dry brined a 5.5 lb. boston butt that I'll be smoking tonight or tomorrow. I have had great results with the deflector plate, but would it work just as well or more efficient using the slow n' sear like I used to do with my 22" kettle?

With my SnS Kamado I tend to do smaller roasts like yours with the SnS insert. Bigger (8 + pound) butts and roasts I'll go kamado mode with the deflector. Personal preference, many here have had great success doing them both ways no matter the size.

Comment

Works fine with the S&S. I use that more often than the deflector.

Comment

• Andrrr
        Andrrr commented
        Editing a comment
        Yep

Unless I need the space I’ve been using the SnS for low and slow a lot more lately as it seems like I get better smoke flavor. I usually have to run the vents a little more open which tells me I’m sacrificing some efficiency but it’s easy to set up and monitor the wood which I like. If I ever use the deflector, once the meat goes on it stays in place till the cook is over. It’s never been an issue with though

Comment

I don't have the Weber Summit, but do have the SNS Kamado, and have done a lot of low and slow using both a deflector and a SNS in that grill. What I find is that when run in traditional kamado mode with the deflector, the cooker is much more efficient, meaning the vents are closed down more, and there is less overall airflow at a given grate level temp. Convection currents are around the edges of the deflector and then up the sides of the dome and back down.

With the SNS insert, your fire higher up and to one side of the grill. Since heat rises, a big percentage of the heat goes out the top vent of the kamado before it circulates back down. You have to run a hotter and less efficient fire to get the same grate level temp, compared to in kamado mode. What this means is that you actually get more smoke, and more air flow, as your vents have to be open more to feed that bigger fire, to get the same indirect cooking temp.

So what I am I saying? I am saying that what I see is that I get better bark and a better smoke ring on the cooks where I use the SNS versus the cooks where I use the deflector. Both produce great results, but they are a little different. The mode I use depends on how much I need to fit on the grill, and also depends on whether I have a big pile of unburnt lump down in the bottom of the cooker from a prior cook. Also, you can run a lot longer without refueling in kamado mode versus with the SNS insert, so that plays a factor in my decision sometimes.
        Last edited by jfmorris; October 17, 2022, 08:55 AM.

Comment

• Andrrr
          Andrrr commented
          Editing a comment
          Yeah, that’s what I meant 😉

I tried Dry brining a butt before. I didn't like it came out mealy! So how it comes out.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here