Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Slow N Sear Low Profile vs. SNS 18" Charcoal Basket

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Slow N Sear Low Profile vs. SNS 18" Charcoal Basket

Upgrading from a Weber Kettle with original slow n sear to WSCG. It sounds like the SNS is pretty much a great add-on, if mainly for convenience. However, I'm disappointed with the steep price of the low profile model. I am thinking the 18" SNS charcoal basket would easily meet the need since its almost the same height as the low profile and the same depth in the curved area. I would only be losing the longer narrow corners from the low profile. I also won't need the water channel since I intend to use kamado mode for smoking.

Am I overthinking this or is the low profle actually worth almost triple the cost? I am function over form so a non-perfect fit doesn't bother me if I'm not losing any functionality.

My other use for the SNS will be slide it center of the grill and put my skewer rack (roughly 12"x12" cooking area) over the broadest section. Once again the smaller model seems almost better in this scenario than the wider LP model.

If anyone happens to have both and can post side by side pictures that would be awesome. I tried finding this on google but most of the comparisons are for like sizes (for obvious reasons).

Well, I do *not* own a WSCG, but do use the SNS in a kettle and in a SNS Kamado, as well as use kamado mode on the same SNS Kamado.

Smoking results are a bit different in kamado mode than when using the SNS basket on my kamado. If you truly only think you will use the SNS as a searing device, I see no issue using the smaller basket. However, in my 22" kamado I would be hard pressed to use the SNS 18" basket versus the full size basket. The WSCG is 24", so I find it hard to believe the basket intended for the 18" grill will fit well in the 24" grill, but I could be wrong...

Comment

If you think it’s expensive from SnS direct, you definitely didn’t want to buy one from Europe after they discontinued them here (and later brought them back). I have both and can try to snap a pic in the next couple days. I’ve never used the basket as about the time it arrived I found the SnS Low Profile that I really wanted.

Comment

• jhapka
        jhapka commented
        Editing a comment
        Haha I forgot I bought an XL from the UK when I bought my 26” kettle. Cripes

I have used both and on my WSCG. I had the original when I bought the WSCG and used it for awhile because it was all I had. Half the cooking grate rested on the original and it made it difficult to spin the grate around cooking steaks. That caused a weld on the grate to come apart. I received the low profile as a gift and that is all I use now. With the low profile the cooking grate rests on the lip of the grill which is where it should sit. I recommend the low profile model. Over the life of the grill the extra expense will be minimal. Have fun!

Comment

• glitchy
        glitchy commented
        Editing a comment
        I think he’s talking about the SnS charcoal basket versus the 22” SnS.

• bep35
        bep35 commented
        Editing a comment
        Missed that. I think mine is the 22". Disregard.

Took some pics. You can see the basket is significantly smaller and built like a happy meal toy in comparison.
      Attached Files

Comment

• Rokfather
        Rokfather commented
        Editing a comment
        This is very helpful, thank you!

I too want the low profile for my E6. Just waiting for them to have a sale or I'll ask for it for Xmas. It is ridiculously priced. It is also interesting how it was discontinued and then brought back just before Weber rolled out the new and cheaper version of the WSCG...

Comment

So I went ahead and ordered both so I could make the final decision. The LP model came in today, still waiting on the 18". But the LP is so nice! It's a step up from the original SNS I've used for years. Decisions, decisions...

Comment

After getting both models shipped to me, I ended up keeping the low profile and sent back the 18". The LP was just too nice and tank-like to pass up. I have only used the original SNS without the bottom grate and "foot" so the deluxe/LP features make it seem a lot tougher and stable. The height difference is is also more than I expected based on the stated measurements, as the LP model is very flush with the grate.

I still think the price ($145) is about $40 too high, but I had to to blame Weber more for that than SNS. If Weber chose a more competitive price point (and called them kamados in the first place) they could have sold a ton of these grills, but they didn't. Hence the aftermarket will be smaller for those of us who own these unique grills.

FWIW, I do believe the 18" model would work perfectly fine for the uses I outlined earlier, but it would only be a marginal step up from using the included Weber baskets. Here are some more pictures for anyone else wanting to compare these two options from SNS.
          Attached Files
          Last edited by Rokfather; June 25, 2022, 10:51 AM. Reason: removed duplicate photo

Comment

You won't regret your decision, Rokfather . There's something to be said for using the right tool for the job.

Kathryn

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here