Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My WSCG is Going Unhinged

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I don't particularly love the diffuser plate in the original WSCG, so when the Kamado version came out, I found the parts list and ordered the new diffuser. Weber Part number 69437. Seems to fit just fine (as totally expected) and no more trying to foil something that flops around while you are trying to wrap it. I don't even think I'll bother with foil on this.
    Attached Files

just like its owner....

Comment

I was thinking of doing the same thing. It never fails that every time I get a nice wrap on it I grab the wrong part and tear the foil. How much are they?

Comment

• glitchy
        glitchy commented
        Editing a comment
        Retail is something like $68. I've never ordered many parts from Weber that weren't under warranty, so don't know if this is normal, but the CSR said he could give me a discount on it without me even asking and knocked a decent chunk off. He could have seen the SmokeFire calls in the history too and been trying to make up for that.

I dented my hinged and want another one. I don't wrap them in foil. I burn it clean every so often.

Comment

I've never had to add fuel in kamado mode of my WSCGC, so I've never had to use the hinge feature to the diffuser plate that comes with. I sometimes have to add another piece of foil around the hinge area if I pick it up wrong and it tears before I get it set into place.

I'll be interested to see if that different design of diffuser plate (is it double layered like the original?) changes the dynamics of the cook at all. I know you'll keep us posted, glitchy because you're really great about doing that. Thanks in advance.

While to my mind two of anything is usually better than one (except for spouses), I'll wait for glitchy's report to see if I need to spring for another diffuser plate design when the one I have works so well. My impression was that the diffuser plate for the new Summit Charcoal kamados was not as well-made as the original.

Kathryn

Comment

• glitchy
          glitchy commented
          Editing a comment
          It is not double walled at all. There was a time when I’d trust Weber to thoroughly test that a change didn’t have negative effects, but with their track record last couple years, I’m not sure they did. I was never convinced it needed to be doubled walled though. Look at all the pellet grills with a hotter burning fire probably closer to the grate and thin drip trays. Unfortunately, the WSCG is not my primary smoker, so I might not be as keen on picking up differences in the performance.

Interesting. Weber said their research showed very few people were using the hinged access panels.

Comment

• Old Glory
          Old Glory commented
          Editing a comment
          I really like mine.

• John Henry
          John Henry commented
          Editing a comment
          Thank you, Max. Much obliged to know this.

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here