Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The April 2020 PitCast Question Time is now OPEN!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The April 2020 PitCast Question Time is now OPEN!!

Hi Gang!! The time to ask Meathead and other AR folks questions is now and will continue to until the last week of this month. Please drop any question you wish to have answered below and we will ask and answer it at the end of the month!!

LET'S GOOOOO!!

1./ Comercial oyster processing factories put the oysters under high pressure in tanks then suddenly release the pressure to open the oysters. Can the same technique be applied to tough cuts of beef to soften them??

2./ Is there a scale to measure the tenderness of meat or how do you measure tenderness?

3./ On a low n slow cook does the softening of the meat happen more actively in the first part of the cook, during the stall or in the final part where it is at a higher temperature?

4./ Would it be posible to measure the quality of smoke with a device to obtain "perfect blue smoke"?. Or measure the amount of smoke vs air for the perfect balance of smoke/ air in a pit?

Comment

5./ Will corona virus kill the KCBS ?? They were gasping for air a little while back, so are they headed for the crematorium with no events this year?

Comment

6./ Is the lower the number on a fridge thermometer dial cooler or warmer? Higher the number the more it refrigerates or vice versa?? Doesn't make much difference on my fridge.
        Attached Files

Comment

• Craigar
          Craigar commented
          Editing a comment
          Great question! I had an old fridge that froze everything no matter the setting, then I figured out it was an upright freezer.

• Huskee
          Huskee commented
          Editing a comment
          I've had many a sleepless night wondering this.

How do we anticipate the Coronavirus pandemic impacting the Memphis Meat-Up?
        Last edited by ecowper; April 16, 2020, 11:32 AM.

Comment

Are there any plans for a safe Wuhan bat soup recipe?

Comment

Ahumadora Ok, you have a question? Go ahead. 😃 sounds like a replay of the BBB Central show or did you listen to it? Good questions though.

i have a question off of that resting/Pryles/MH discussion on the show.

Can you explain further where the money goes to fund a "True" test/experiment on the resting/tenderness of meat that was on Greg's show. I’m not sure most of us really know how that works. I personally loved that conversation and explanations and am shocked no real research is available. I guess it’s not a hot topic. I’m on board with the saliva point of view.

if anyone hasn’t watched/listned to Greg’s Tuesday Bbqcentralshow you should do that. Great topic.
            Last edited by HouseHomey; April 16, 2020, 07:01 PM.

Comment

• Ahumadora
              Ahumadora commented
              Editing a comment
              HouseHomey No didn't listen to it. I am surprized with all the members that are on here very few are asking questions. Many pay a lot of money to attend BBQ schools and here you get it free.

Hi BBQCentralShow and Meathead ,

Here are a few potential questions for a PitCast episode.

1 - Do you have any opinions on using charcoal briquets claiming containing wood vs using plain charcoal with some wood on top of the charcoal? For example Kingsford Charcoal with Hickory, Kingsford Charcoal with Mesquite, etc.).

2 - What are the impacts of freezing a piece of fresh meat in regards to flavor, texture or ability to cook? If I freeze meat, am I degrading it in any way? Is it OK to freeze meat or should I attempt to keep unfrozen?

3 - Do you have any tips for recording or documenting BBQ cooks so I can learn about what works for me, what went wrong, and how to improve?

4 - Any advice for common BBQ problems and how to recover? A few examples that I can think of include, double salting, not having the cook ready in time for guests (cook took longer than expected) and dealing with bad weather.

Thank you for helping educate us on how to be better cooks.

Jeff
            Last edited by NSR_BBQ; April 24, 2020, 07:31 PM.

Comment

We have a good eek until we close down the questions stage for the April podcast...REMEMBER...you can ask ANY of the team members questions...so let's have it!!

Comment

• Craigar
                Craigar commented
                Editing a comment
                EEK!!! Was that good enough?

Meathead: You hop in the car (or truck?) to drive somewhere. What radio station do you immediately put on- country, top 40, R&B, oldies, classical, talk, news, etc. Or, do you have a CD (or cassette?) in the player? If so, what is it?

Greg: Same question as above.

Comment

Also: Be honest, did you know the numbers on a toaster dial mean the # of minutes it toasts? I did not. I just thought it meant the level of toastedness.

Comment

• Ahumadora
                  Ahumadora commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Huskee Have you ever used the word toastedness before??

• Huskee
                  Huskee commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Maybe once Ahumadora

How does the PH level of food affect the flavor?

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here