Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A good day hunting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A good day hunting

Went out goose hunting Monday with my two oldest boys and a friend. Four hunters, twelve birds. Limited out. I had to enjoy the fruits of my labor Monday night. Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_4864.jpg Views:	0 Size:	150.9 KB ID:	980714Click image for larger version  Name:	Resized_20210125_185624(1).jpeg Views:	0 Size:	911.8 KB ID:	980715

Nice shooting!

Comment

Nice!

Comment

Goose is so good.

Comment

Great job

Comment

Well done!

Comment

Nice hunt. Where did you get the astro turf cutting board or have I had one too many?

Comment

Nice. Canada Geese were fairly rare back home. Snows (Blues) and Specks was about it. Forget the Ross', but apparently we were just barely on the eastern edge of their migration.

Haven't waterfowl hunted since '96. Was attempting to in 2019, even had my federal stamp, upper respiratory made sure it didn't happen.

Comment

• smokin fool
                  smokin fool commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Freakin things are all over the place up here, don't migrate stay all year round.
                  Ruin parks with they're droppings and are aggressive as old hell.
                  On Airport Road in Brampton there's a length of road where they have the right of way in spring because of the hatchlings.

Nice! Great hunt, my friend. I am a fan of a good old goose hunt as long as there is someone that will eat the meat. I am not a huge fan of Canadian goose meat, so I rarely hunt them nay more. But we used to go out all the time when I was a kid. We could shoot almost as many of those honkers as we wanted in MN. They were and are absolutely everywhere. We used to shoot them and grind the meat for dog treats most of the time. (I know people probably look down on that one now, but thats what we did back in the day)

What a great time with your kids too. That is one thing that I can't wait to do with my nephew is get in a few hunts with him. He still has a few years, but I cannot wait to take him on a pheasant hunt.

Comment

• Starsky
                  Starsky commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Maybe their flavor depends on where they are and what they eat. I crisped the skin in a cast iron pan and then finished in the oven. Salt, pepper and some granulated garlic, pulled it at 127 deg. Probably hit 131 to 134 deg. after carry over. You would have sworn you were eating beef. You definitely cant over cook it or it tastes like bad liver

• Oak Smoke
                  Oak Smoke commented
                  Editing a comment
                  When I was 13 I finally killed a goose after trying for 2 years. I was so proud, plucked all the feathers, mom baked it for my. I guess I expected it to be like turkey. It was terrible, greasy, nasty. My greyhound pup wouldn't eat it, he ate everything until he tried goose. I never hunted another one.

• gcdmd
                  gcdmd commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Soaking game meat in buttermilk is a popular southern trick to mellow the taste out.

👍👍👍
                nice blind set up too !

Comment

Awesome! I've still never tasted goose. Went hunting once in my early 20s and we were unsuccessful, never tried it again. Pheasant we were always successful.

Comment

Was a tough year for our field. They did not take the crop out until late. Only harvested a couple of ducks and a few geese. And of course they upped the limit to three this year in Illinois. Have not found many good ways to make geese so I usually take mine in at the end of the year and have them made into sticks. Did find one recipe where you cut the breast into 1/4" strips and just dipped them in an egg wash and then into some bread crumbs, then just pan fried them in some EVOO until the blood came up(just minutes) then flipped. They were REALLY good.

Comment

Damn! I would have thought that was beef! Looks good but I’ve never had goose

Comment

Geese in the winter are about like flies in the summer in South Dakota.

Click image for larger version  Name:	2021-01-28_6-05-12.jpg Views:	0 Size:	210.6 KB ID:	981385

The best goose recipe I have found: 1) wrap chunks of goose meat in bacon; 2) marinate with teriyaki sauce; 3) cook on grill; 4) remove bacon and eat; 5) throw away goose.

Not a fan.
                        Last edited by bep35; January 28, 2021, 06:13 AM.

Comment

"enjoy the fruits of your labor Monday night" it looks like it. You Done Good

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                          No announcement yet.
                          Working...
                          X
                          false
                          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                          false
                          false
                          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                          Yes
                          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here