Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pulled Wild Boar - Any advice on differences with Pulled Pork?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pulled Wild Boar - Any advice on differences with Pulled Pork?

I have a "Wild" Boar Shoulder that I am planning to smoke Sunday for "Pulled Boar".

Normally when I do pulled pork I use the recipe here with the Memphis Dust rub, 225 Degrees and between 7-10 hours depending on size.

Has anyone done a Boar Shoulder like this and have any observations on differences in cook, seasoning, etc from a regular Pork Butt?

Welcome to The Pit. Sorry, but I can't help.

Comment

Salutations from Hays, Kansas! Great question for which I will be of no help. Looking forward to seeing and reading about the results.

Comment

Nope, jus cook it til it's probe tender, same as any poke butt. Wrap, if that's yer thing.
        Wild tends to taste stronger, if that factors into yer rub choice, or any aftersauce,
        Enjoy! :

Comment

If it is in fact a boar well over 150 pounds you might want a back up plan. You should be able to smell it once you start rolling good if he was packing plenty "heat."

I would recommend plenty sauce, BBQ or Carolina Mustard or Vinegar, to make up for the lack of intramuscular fat and subsequent lack of moistness.

Comment

• tbob4
            tbob4 commented
            Editing a comment
            When I saw the title I was going to tag you on this. Would you recommend wrapping early and with bacon?

• Jerod Broussard
            Jerod Broussard commented
            Editing a comment
            tbob4 I don't wrap early since I want plenty bark, I don't wrap with bacon since it blocks bark, I would much rather mix with bacon and grind and make a massive meatloaf.

• tbob4
            tbob4 commented
            Editing a comment
            I’ve never had it wild - my kid has a lot. He and his buddy just make sausage out of it.

Feral pigs are very lean and won't have any real "white" meat. Back in my airboating days (a long time ago) we would do pigs a few times a year because it was free and plentiful. I seem to recall gallon jugs of orange juice being used as a marinade.

If I was doing one now, I think a mojo marinade would be a good choice.

Cook it very low and slow.

Comment

I've done several of these. My method won't get you great bark, but will give you some very good pulled pork. I put mine on the smoker at 225F with apple wood for smoke and Memphis dust on it for two hours. That gets me some smoke flavor and a bit of color. I then lay several strips of bacon on top of it and put it in a Reynolds oven cooking bag like you would use for a turkey. At that point I shut down the smoker and put it in the oven at 225F for 6 to 8 hours. You will get moist, tender, flavorful pulled pork.

Comment

I would suggest you have a look at Harry Soo’s Kalua Pork recipe. https://www.slapyodaddybbq.com/2015/...pork-shoulder/ Boar many times needs all the help it can get to be moist.
              Last edited by Donw; November 28, 2020, 09:35 AM.

Comment

Good stuff. Russian boar have dark meat. cook to tender. One draw back here in Oregon is no feral pigs to hunt.

Comment

• texastweeter
                  texastweeter commented
                  Editing a comment
                  No such thing as Russian boar, unless it is in a hurry. That is a marketing schtick that was thought up by guides. They are European hogs.

• bbqLuv
                  bbqLuv commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Pig by any other name is sweet swine of mine.
                  OK, European Hogs.

Thank you for the replies.

I was/am a bit concerned about how moist it would be vs a typical pork shoulder. I will probably go with my original plan and see how it goes. It is on the smaller side and was likely designed by the butcher to be more of a roast than pulled. Worst case scenario we just use more sauce.

Comment

• Huskee
                  Huskee commented
                  Editing a comment
                  You can always add some butter & water to the end product to add juiciness.

Reckon ya'll be jus fine, jus cook pork...

Ya gots this.

Comment

Cook them all the time. If a big stanky boar, I ice bath it for a while (usually after butchering) then in a big bag with some buttermilk overnight. If not a large male, I skip this. From that point on it is cooked just like store-bought. Injected, dry brine, bind and rub, smoke, crutch, and rest.
                  Attached Files

Comment

It turned out great. It stalled in the mid 150s so I wrapped it at that point and bumped the temperature to 250. At the 7 hour mark it was still only 180 so I went to 300, still wrapped, and left it there until it hit 200.

After holding it for 20 minutes I pulled it. Was a bit tougher that I would normally like at first but once I got into it it was fine.

It didn't need much sauce, if any at all, nice and juicy.
                    Attached Files

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                    No announcement yet.
                    Working...
                    X
                    false
                    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                    false
                    false
                    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                    Yes
                    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here