Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Elk my way & my way.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Elk my way & my way.

Click image for larger version

Name:	F1CCD1B0-C8AA-42FF-9DFC-BCEFBF3E1DA1.jpeg
Views:	199
Size:	168.1 KB
ID:	895997Click image for larger version

Name:	6333AF84-5523-4FE2-80D0-B479C6DED7DB.jpeg
Views:	221
Size:	188.9 KB
ID:	895996 Indecision plagued me almost from the get go. A friend had given me a hunk of frozen elk labeled Elk Roast. Oh what to do? I dry brined it overnight then put it in a marinade, a concoction that I threw together. Strategically inserted pieces of garlic throughout the chunk o’ meat. Question was how to cook it. I have dealt with blackstrap & steaks & small pieces but not a roast. I started out wrapping it with bacon to providing some fat in the cook. I loaded the SnS & prepared for a long cook of 3 to 4 hours at 270ish. I got the internal to 118 & got the jitters. Changed my mind about the long cook, pulled the bacon off, the coals took right off & I proceeded to sear it to 138. I am so glad I chose the sear MR route. Moist & juicy, great chewin, tender, wife said taste was outstanding. Here is my confuse-a-cat cook. ​ ​ ​ ​ ​​​​​​​

Elk and deer roasts I marinade, slow cook, and then reverse sear to medium rare - just like a tri tip.

Or, crock pot.

Comment

I miss my buddy; he usedta annually bring me Elk/Jalapeño/Cheddar Summer Sausage...

Comment

• Elton's BBQ
        Elton's BBQ commented
        Editing a comment
        Speaking of Dan i assume..
        Man.. i miss him..
        Sigh...

• Mr. Bones
        Mr. Bones commented
        Editing a comment
        Nope, it wasn’t our beloved Dan...

I miss him badly as well, Brother... @Elton’s BBQ .
        Last edited by Mr. Bones; August 14, 2020, 01:23 PM.

Same as a elderly goat roast from thinning the free-grazing herd before winter. I've taken to injecting beef bone stock into the really firm areas of the roast, way after seasoning and ~ 10 mins before laying it up in the indirect zone.

It looks amazing FireMan
      Last edited by JGo37; August 13, 2020, 10:04 PM.

Comment

• FireMan
        FireMan commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks.

Next time Sausage?
      Substitute Elk for Caribou

15 lb Caribou
      5 lb Pork -- fresh
      3 oz Water
      1 oz Pepper -- black
      3/4 oz Ginger -- ground
      1-1/4 oz Nutmeg -- ground
      1/2 oz Allspice -- ground
      1/2 oz Coriander -- ground
      2 oz Paprika
      2 ts Garlic powder
      10 oz Salt

Comment

That looks great!

Comment

I have never had elk. Only game I have had is venison. But that looks outstanding. I would eat that anytime. Nicely done pitmaster!

Comment

Nothing wrong with that cook.
            I've tried elk and bison but only burgers so far.
            Had Cariboo steaks. That is an acquired taste!

Comment

Looks Grand FireMan
              But i can't see those confused pic's..
              Last edited by Elton's BBQ; August 14, 2020, 09:16 AM. Reason: This &that

Comment

That looks really excellent

Comment

Nice! I love elk, cook it whenever I can get some at my store.

Comment

• FireMan
                    FireMan commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Interesting that you can get elk in a store. Around here ya got to go git yer own & not in Wisconsin.

mADE SOME Jalisco 'birria' style stew back in April or May. Turned out great. Yours looks delicious.

Comment

Love Elk! That looks fantastic! I once did a front shoulder in the smoker, one of my favorite cooks ever!(sorry no pics)

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                    No announcement yet.
                    Working...
                    X
                    false
                    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                    false
                    false
                    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                    Yes
                    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here