Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Coon Time

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Coon Time

So we were visiting relatives in Savannah last week and when we were leaving, our cousin Jessie asked if I liked raccoon. I had it once before years ago and I don’t remember, but I said sure, I’ll try it. I thought he would bring me a bite, but no, he gave me a whole dressed out coon. So today, I said what the heck...

Here she is thawed:
    Click image for larger version  Name:	494B0DA9-64BE-423F-ADBC-B215A6D324A0.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	125.1 KB ID:	781608
    The foot is still attached to prove it is indeed a coon. I trimmed it up, got all the fat and silver skin off that I could, and cut it up. I kind of brined it with some salt water and cider vinegar - I actually found a recipe on Serious Eats - for about an hour while I set the kettle up.

https://www.seriouseats.com/2012/11/how-to-cook-a-raccoon-the-south-slideshow.html

I seasoned him up with some Worcestershire, POG and Black Ops and put him on at 225 deg.

Click image for larger version  Name:	E156EF5A-CB4C-492D-802D-8AD380A99DA4.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	158.0 KB ID:	781609

After around 2 1/2 hours, I took him off and put him in a foil pan with some onions, garlic and chicken broth with a splash of beef broth. I wanted to throw some carrots in but wee were out.

Click image for larger version  Name:	4E01CCFA-2062-4E58-B609-CAFA18BBAF98.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	127.5 KB ID:	781610

Put him back on to braise for awhile. He is still working, should be done soon. I’ll report back.

Last edited by klflowers; December 21, 2019, 03:46 PM.

Looks like you’ve done a super job with it! Can’t wait for the results. Very cool man.

Comment

• klflowers
      klflowers commented
      Editing a comment
      I figured it was worth a try. My wife just said hell no...

Man, I will be very curious to see what that tastes like.

Comment

• Spinaker
      Spinaker commented
      Editing a comment
      I am sure you have tried it. You guys in Sconi will eat anything. FireMan

• Steve B
      Steve B commented
      Editing a comment
      Chicken 🐔

• texastweeter
      texastweeter commented
      Editing a comment
      what's wrong with fried buzzworm? Spinaker

Anxiously waiting..............I think?

Comment

Hmmm. I'm 50/50 on coon. My initial reaction is NO! there's pork, chicken, lamb, and beef in the store! But alas, never had coon, maybe it's like rabbit and it's a hidden gem, what do I know...

Comment

Like ur style,,,,,,
        does cousin Jessie hunt buffalo too?
        if he does you might be in for a shocker !!!!

Comment

• klflowers
          klflowers commented
          Editing a comment
          His brother traps them on their families’ farm.

Still braising but I tasted a small piece. Not bad, definitely not chicken. Not real gamey though, probably the vinegar in the brine. A little dry.

Comment

I like this thread...

Comment

I happened upon folks cooking squirrel in their backyard over a fire one day - fur on. It smelled horrible. I went back to my office with my partner and told the story, laughing hysterically. My office-mates wondered why we were laughing. They simply wanted to know if they were tree or ground squirrels. Apparently, one is good eating and the other is not. My buddy and I laughed even louder, but there was really no other humor in the room. I have hundreds of tree squirrels where I live but let them go because I can't remember what one is good and what is bad.

Comment

• texastweeter
              texastweeter commented
              Editing a comment
              tree squirrels are good. Remember limb bacon to keep the two straight. I'll eat the hell outta some treerats

• pjlstrat
              pjlstrat commented
              Editing a comment
              When I was a kid my dad and I hunted Grey Squirrel in upstate NY. When I got my first 22 I used allowed to go alone. I would shoot 4-5 dress and skin and bring to my grandmothers to prepare. She was a little old Italian lady from Sicily and she would make them in red sauce, I remember loving them, but I will admit that could have just been the fuss everyone made because I brought home dinner.

• Mr. Bones
              Mr. Bones commented
              Editing a comment
              Alla th hunnerts o squirrels we et comin up were Red Squirrels, an seemed rather partial to trees, if that helps ya any...usually ended up in some squirrel stew, vs portions/quarters, pan fried, once in a Blue Moon.

Coming soon Clint Cantwell makes coon taco's!!! klflowers You are on the front lines of new BBQ... I am sure it is pretty lean just ike dog meat. Would love to try some of that.

Comment

• klflowers
              klflowers commented
              Editing a comment
              Yeah it is really lean. If I do it again, I’ll probably use wine in the braising liquid, or maybe sv it and glaze it on the grill with some fruit based bbq sauce.

• Mr. Bones
              Mr. Bones commented
              Editing a comment
              klflowers That's why ya gotta feed th local squirrels lol

It don't even haveta be obvious, at all; jus try an set up a bird feeder they cain't git into, an POOF! There'll be plenty squirrels, constantly!!!!

Haven't heard of someone eating coon in a coon's age.

Comment

As long as they’re still doing whole hog instead of whole coon at the meat up I’m good.

Comment

• Ahumadora
                Ahumadora commented
                Editing a comment
                * Dependant on pork prices at the time of the meatup.

• Steve B
                Steve B commented
                Editing a comment
                Ahumadora 😳😬🥴😂😂

if it’s good, maybe work on a coonsquirnake next?

Comment

You East Coasters can have your raccoons, here out West it's jackalope we put on the spit.

Comment

• fzxdoc
                  fzxdoc commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Antlers and all, I presume.

K.

• 58limited
                  58limited commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Gotta catch'em first, they are pretty fast.

BBQ'd coon is a right treat; way I was taught was to boil it some, to git rid of some greasiness/gameiness, then put in th smoker; still comes out delicious!!!

Comment

• Oak Smoke
                  Oak Smoke commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Same here, I was told they were boiled first then roasted. My grand parents were products of the depression and the dust bowl. They ate almost everything. I haven't tried raccoon or Polk salad either as far as that goes.

• klflowers
                  klflowers commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I think the vinegar in the brine took away some of the gaminess. And the braise made it really fall off the bone tender.

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here