Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Smoked Gator?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Smoked Gator?

Anyone know of the best wood and temps to smoke a Gator? Asking for a friend.....

I've never tried this but I love these guys.

Comment

• klflowers
      klflowers commented
      Editing a comment
      That is a helluva video. Dang.

• pkadare
      pkadare commented
      Editing a comment
      klflowers - I know right? Even though they lean way too heavily on the corn pone, I really love these guys! Whenever I watch one of their videos I hear Dueling Banjos in the back of my head.
      "You've got a pretty mouth."
      Last edited by pkadare; November 1, 2019, 03:14 PM.

• klflowers
      klflowers commented
      Editing a comment
      pkadare I had never seen them but I am hooked. Kind of like I didn't really want to watch but I couldn't stop. Especially liked the shot of devils cut in the dressing, then a shot for the cook...

So 2 things from this video:
    1. I need to convince my wife to catch, skin, freeze, and bring home a gator while she's in FLA.
    2. I need to hang out with these dudes!

Comment

Answering for a friend. Not sure about gator, but there will be plenty of smoked Dawg available tomorrow afternoon in Jax.

Comment

• johnec00
        johnec00 commented
        Editing a comment
        ColonialDawg I'll drink to that. Here's to hoping for a great game!

• johnec00
        johnec00 commented
        Editing a comment
        Great game ColonialDawg ! Congratulations to the Dawgs. Best wishes for another win on Dec. 1 in Atlanta!
        Last edited by johnec00; November 2, 2019, 07:50 PM.

• Troutman
        Troutman commented
        Editing a comment
        Yea I second that, I thought Florida would make it a lot tighter, Georgia looks like they're back in the hunt, maybe.

Use what ever wood you want. It does not matter according to staff on here, as I have been told on hear recently. It just applies to the harshness of the smoke, not flavor. Here is the wood chart they provide.
      Genus Smoke Energy Sparks Embers
      Alder Mild Low Few Fair
      Apple Medium High Few Excellent
      Cherry Medium Medium Few Excellent
      Hickory Strong High Few Excellent
      Maple Mild High Few Excellent
      Mesquite Strongest High Few Excellent
      Oaks Medium High Few Excellent
      Peach Medium Medium Few Fair
      Pear Medium High Few Fair
      Pecan Strong High Few Good
      Plum Medium High Few Excellent
      Walnut Strong High Few Good
      Last edited by mountainsmoker; November 1, 2019, 06:56 PM.

Comment

Well Georgia plays Florida tomorrow, I'm not so sure if the Dawgs can "smoke" that Gators anyway. That's yet to be seen

Comment

• Troutman
          Troutman commented
          Editing a comment
          ....and they did. Congrats to the Dawgs, good win !!!

Sorry, not being from the south and not being a huge football fan, I totally missed the reference here.

Comment

• ColonialDawg
          ColonialDawg commented
          Editing a comment
          Haha. No worries, man. Your links still might come in handy for Thanksgiving though.

Nail biter of a game. I have a feeling neither team is going to go on long win streaks in this game any more.

Comment

[QUOTE=ColonialDawg;n763997]Anyone know of the best wood and temps to smoke a Gator? Asking for

Comment

Seem's UGA has no problem smokings gators these days.

Comment

• ColonialDawg
              ColonialDawg commented
              Editing a comment
              Pachyderms are a completely different story.

How do I report this post for its extremely offensive content?

Comment

Originally posted by JPGators17 View Post
              How do I report this post for its extremely offensive content?
              You want offensive? Here's the trophy for UCF's 2017 Asterisk Championship:

Click image for larger version

Name:	2770d7cec902c97a1f023575d5b3a2b2.jpg
Views:	169
Size:	33.0 KB
ID:	765402

Comment

• JPGators17
                JPGators17 commented
                Editing a comment
                Hey now, I went to UCF too, and live 15 mins from campus. This whole thread is obscene!

I’ve smoked a whole gator a few times and I find 250-275 works great. My latest turned out the best. I brined him overnight in water, salt and liquid crab boil. Before cooking, I stuffed the abdomen with dirty rice, sewed it closed and then applied a pork type rub liberally. Finally I put him on the grill and wrapped him thoroughly in bacon. Put a temp probe in the tail and cooked to 165. The best meat is from the jowls and abdomen. I never have cared for tail meat; too tough. Ça c’est bon.
              . Click image for larger version

Name:	0F225A0C-C0F8-4CCD-9982-03841B062A61.jpeg
Views:	179
Size:	153.4 KB
ID:	773993Click image for larger version

Name:	6F9EC851-3540-4BB8-B2C6-37E4EA150658.jpeg
Views:	148
Size:	211.1 KB
ID:	773994Click image for larger version

Name:	17EC8832-08FD-4132-A855-10128D980918.jpeg
Views:	175
Size:	283.6 KB
ID:	773995

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here