Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Need advice on making elk jerky

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need advice on making elk jerky

I want to make elk jerky from ground elk. How should I cure it and should I make it with my dehydrator or on the kamado?

Cabela’s or Bass pro has large Jerky Guns( I think they may be made by LEM). LEM has season packs that are pre measured and comes with the curing nitrate. Fairly strict on weights and measurements. You really don’t have to do much but follow the directions precisely. I’ve done the round sticks and the flat jerky, I have done it on my kamado joe and in the dehydrates. Prefer the kamado but the dehydrater was easier.

Comment

• Attjack
      Attjack commented
      Editing a comment
      It's been years since I made jerky. Since I now have a kamado whereas before I did not I guess I should use it!

I busted out my jerky kit and discovered I had this cure and seasoning mix. I suppose I should give it a go.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20181223_110722.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	134.3 KB
ID:	611662

Comment

Mixing the seasoning into the ground venison gets really sticky. But it’s simple. You can add some off your own seasoning but the nitrate salt is precisely measured for the weight of the ground Venison. Get food service gloves! LEM has some decent YouTube videos too watch. I had to use special jerky racks on the kamado big joe, the ground jerky won’t stay up on the grates.

Comment

• EdF
        EdF commented
        Editing a comment
        Which may be an argument for the dehydrator.

• Attjack
        Attjack commented
        Editing a comment
        Sounds like a plan. I figure I'll use a cooling rack to lay the jerky on for smoking.

Got it curing in the fridge. Going to smoke it tomorrow.

Comment

What I learned from this is that I need to buy a second expansion rack. Three pounds barely fit.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20181226_203640.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	114.8 KB
ID:	613756Click image for larger version

Name:	20181226_221713.jpg
Views:	152
Size:	87.0 KB
ID:	613757

Comment

• Elton's BBQ
          Elton's BBQ commented
          Editing a comment
          How did it taste?

I actually haven't tasted it because it came off the grill late. I forgot to put my controller's temperature probe in and the kamado got up over 300. So it took a while to get it back to 200. I had already brushed my teeth by the time it was done. I'll let you know today.
        Last edited by Attjack; December 27, 2018, 11:11 AM.

Comment

• Fire Art
          Fire Art commented
          Editing a comment
          No taste test. I wouldn’t be able to resist 🤓

• Attjack
          Attjack commented
          Editing a comment
          Okay I just tasted it and it's very soft, no chewies that can't be chewed. The flavor is good but it's not nearly hot enough. I may try to make a solution that contains cayenne and try to spray some heat on it.

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here