Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Need help with some ground venison jerky I am making.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need help with some ground venison jerky I am making.

So - I need help with this.

I added in all the ingredients - mixed lightly to distribute and ran it through my grinder for a second pass.

Im worried it isn't mixed enough. Everything looks uniform but when you are messing with cure things get a bit more serious.

Do you think lightly mixing with my hands and running through the grinder is enough to distribute?

Just need reassurance I guess.. This isn't my first time - but the first set was under flavoured and so this one i added a bit more spice and just want to make sure im doing ok?

I get flavor from curing in a marinating before drying longer than you would think you should, and flip it a lot.

I've had to add binders to get that classic 'jerky' feel with ground game, and I put the strips (not tubers like Slim Jim or like making Goose jerky) between parchment paper and hammer to the thickness (or really, the thinness) I want with a standard meat-tenderizing hammer.

So yes and no - mixing with your hands is fine and enough, but it's the curing and the prep before dehydrating that delivers what I'm looking for. I think that once the dehydration reduces the mix to jerky, you can't tell about the distribution at all, the reduction takes care of that.

How long are you drying? I typically go 14 hours on full electric power with 'cold' mix from the fridge before I get what I want.

Are you using a nitrite enhanced salt for preservation? I don't, and realize that my jerky is only good for < 2 weeks. I'm not sure if a curing salt changes the chemistry of the process.

I can make my dog do anything once I have jerky, so it never has to last longer than two weeks anyway. I make ~ 3 lbs a month from varying sources.

Comment

• Keltonfoss
      Keltonfoss commented
      Editing a comment
      Yes- I use pink salt, im not terribly worried about preservatives and its cheap enough to not matter. The rest of my reply is below.

so started running huge batches - 30-40 lbs worth at a time. I let the ground jerky sit with the mix in overnight to distribute the salt - then I load it up in a custom system i built for my GMG. I actually do what commercial jerky outfits do - Heat it past 140 by running my GMG at 325 - then bring the temp down to 150 and let it dry until ive got a nice mahogany color and some bend - but the fibers are dry. I used to do it in my oven this same way with 5-10lbs. Then its in 1 lb packages - vacuum sealed - and stored in the freezer. It tends to last my family about 3 months if I ration it. 1 month otherwise. Currently I use Hi-country seasonings as they are made about 60 miles from my house, but would eventually like to start making my own.

Comment

That's pretty awesome - big batches. I do make my own slew and rubs. I'm working on it to hit the sweet spot for my wife (that didn't come out right); she's more particular than I am regarding taste. So I would say that although I'm satisfied with the rub, it's still a work in progress and I'll eventually have to change things up for different meats.

I use an indoor counter-top unit that's ~ 16" round with I think 7 height-adjustable shelves. I put it in almost straight from the fridge, but dried first. I'll make one shelf peppered from a grinder filled with mixed-color peppercorns for me and am careful not to toss one of those to the dog.

3 lbs lasts 2 weeks, for two of us. 2 days if I'm fishing.

Comment

• JGo37
        JGo37 commented
        Editing a comment
        I get deeply affected by weather in everything I do cooking outside, especially doing things mostly year round. The BBQ's during NFL playoffs take a lot of hands-on to hold temp.

• JGo37
        JGo37 commented
        Editing a comment
        I get deeply affected by weather in everything I do cooking outside, especially doing things mostly year round. The BBQ's during NFL playoffs take a lot of hands-on to hold temp.

• Keltonfoss
        Keltonfoss commented
        Editing a comment
        Its a little easier to control temps as I have a GMG - but I feel the same way when im running my weber.

Announcement

Collapse
    No announcement yet.
    Working...
    X
    false
    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
    false
    false
    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
    Yes
    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here