Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Venison Jerky

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Venison Jerky

i had one roast left in the freezer and I decided to thaw it out and make some jerky and this batch turned out pretty good, I used pepper flavoured mix with curing salt. Then I smoked in the pellet grill. My wife says it is the best jerky I have made and she is not fond of venison. I started with 3 1/4# of sliced meat.

Click image for larger version  Name:	144A5F6B-1DCF-4E88-BBF7-118ECF314637.jpeg Views:	1 Size:	1.67 MB ID:	424422
    Last edited by Jerod Broussard; December 16, 2017, 05:07 PM.

That stuff goes waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too fast.

Comment

Beautiful!

Comment

the original survival food. my wife eats it as fast as I can make it. never used curing salt. looks fantastic though.

Comment

Not a fan of Venison. Except as jerky.

Comment

Yummy!

Comment

so, did you use "deer rear" or "butt cut" to make the jerky? I can remember seeing those words written on white butcher paper in our freezer growing up and thinking WTH...

Comment

Awesome! I could turn a whole deer into jerky and snack sticks. Except the tenderloins, those get wrapped in home made bacon and grilled.

Comment

I learned along time ago, when something is done right, in this case cooking venison, people who "don’t like it", ended up likin it. Looks great.

Comment

When something turns out good I always say I got lucky again. I think this would be deer rear. It was a large roast that I separated the muscles and sliced them into strips. It cured over night in the refrigerator. I added some white pepper and chipotle chilli pepper for a little more kick.

Comment

never made deer jerky. Does anyone have a good deer jerky recipe?

Comment

• Argoboy
                        Argoboy commented
                        Editing a comment
                        I buy the kit in the store, I like cracked black pepper. I have dried in the oven and now I use the Traeger. I am making a batch today.

Here is my latest batch of Cajun jerky, my neighbour shot a buck last week so I made a batch of sausages and some jerky for him. This was 4# of venison at the start.

Click image for larger version

Name:	A7579D3C-34E6-4A93-A99C-AF312871687D.jpeg
Views:	181
Size:	257.4 KB
ID:	941735

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                      No announcement yet.
                      Working...
                      X
                      false
                      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                      false
                      false
                      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                      Yes
                      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here