Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Smoked Italian Wild Boar Meatballs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Smoked Italian Wild Boar Meatballs

Time to spice it up, folks! Here's a great (in my opinion) recipe for Italian Meatballs. Yes, of course we smoke 'em! And, yes, lots of Parmesan cheese! And they're made from Wild Boar (ground meat). Seriously good stuff! What's not to like?

I did a classic snake method with briquettes on my Weber kettle, and ran it at the usual 225° F. Rolled pretty large (2") meatballs, since I want to smoke them for 30-40 minutes. If they're too small they finish too quick. It's all thought through carefully

I mixed the ground wild boar with salt, black pepper, ground cumin, ground ancho chili powder and finely chopped shallots.

I smoked them with apple wood for 40 minutes, then added the meatballs to a pan filled with crushed tomatoes (get the best you can, it really pays off). Then sprinkled them with a very liberal amount of real parmesan cheese, and let them simmer for another 20-25 minutes.

Man, this is good stuff. You get real juicy meatballs, with grated cheese on top. And there's a fresh 'acidity' of sorts from the smoke and the cumin. Read the full recipe here.

The meat balls, rolled up, ready for the grill. The pan is just for getting them from the kitchen to the grill. I place each meatball directly on the grates.

Click image for larger version

Name:	meatballs-0.jpg
Views:	242
Size:	119.6 KB
ID:	395187

Here's the smoked meatballs, I have placed them in the pan together with the tomatoes and cheese, now they just need to simmer for a while on the grill before serving.

Name:	meatballs-1.jpg
Views:	217
Size:	110.7 KB
ID:	395186

And the final result. Great flavors!

Name:	meatballs.jpg
Views:	217
Size:	93.9 KB
ID:	395188

That does look great.

Comment

That’s one heck of a long name for some meat balls. They do look marvelous!

Comment

• Henrik
        Henrik commented
        Editing a comment
        I agree. Wanted the title informative, went overboard :-)

I’m hungry! Looks great!

Comment

• Henrik
        Henrik commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks, I can highly recommend them, not too much effort involved.

Fantastic lookin', Henrik!

Comment

• Henrik
        Henrik commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks, Bones!

Those look fantastic! You just gave me a great idea, I'm going to do this with ground venison, however, I'm going to mix in some of the beef fat that I have left from trimming my last brisket and the two prime NY sirloin roasts. I'm thinking about maybe adding in some ground chuck too.

Comment

• EdF
        EdF commented
        Editing a comment
        Good plan!

• FireMan
        FireMan commented
        Editing a comment
        That would make them some "American beef fat from brisket & sirloin prime with some chuck too meat balls". Well ya beat Henrik.

• Henrik
        Henrik commented
        Editing a comment
        Lol! But the venison/beef sounds good!

Dude! These look killer. These would be fun to make for sure.

Comment

• Henrik
        Henrik commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks my man. Love the new avatar!

• FireMan
        FireMan commented
        Editing a comment
        Ya Henrik, at least his phone isn’t across his face.

• Spinaker
        Spinaker commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks, I love them when they are tiny like that. Henrik

Announcement

Collapse
    No announcement yet.
    Working...
    X
    false
    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
    false
    false
    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
    Yes
    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here