Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bison ribs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bison ribs

A friend of mine wants me to smoke bison ribs, any recommendations for either short ribs or back ribs? I've smoked beef short ribs before, and naturally a ton of pork ribs, but never tried bison before. I read on the American Bison Council's web site that bison normally cooks 30% faster than beef so I'm also trying to figure out when I need to put them on the smoker.
    Any insight would be greatly appreciated!!

Bison back ribs are really good. While regular bison meat cooks quicker, it seemed like the back ribs cooked very similar to beef back ribs. They also tasted much like beef. So much so, that if you served them without telling anyone what they were, they probably would think they were beef.

Best regards,
    Jim

p.s. Welcome aboard.

Comment

No experience with ribs, but lots of experience with bison. It is very lean and cooks FAST. I would recommend you follow your typical beef rib cook, but pull them sooner to prevent them from drying out. The bend test likely will not work here. I wonder if you can inject these things?

Comment

Welcome to the Pit! Sorry very little bison in my life.

Comment

Definitely will finish quicker, but beyond that there is less intramuscular fat, but still has tough connective tissue. May need to foil quickly. I have experience with venison and elk, which are incredibly lean as well. Maybe check out anything from the Food Lab, maybe Kenji has some science behind a cook like this.

Comment

Please keep us posted on how the bison ribs cook, when you do them. Bison is readily available in Tulsa, and I welcome your experience.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here