Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pulled bear?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pulled bear?

My hunting friend has a bear roast that he is willing to sacrifice to the bbq gods. He suggested pulled bear. I've never dealt with bear before. Does anyone have any experience with cooking bear? He says bear is similar to pork in some senses, so would pulled bear be cooked in the same way as pulled pork?

Ain't had bear yet, but very much wanna!
    From what I've seen posted here, make double-damn sure it is cooked thoroughly!!!
    Others much more qualified will be along shortly, t' give ya' more qualified answers.

Comment

Welcome coolclayton good luck with the bear

Comment

Anything that is cooked to pull will be cooked long and hot enough to be safe. Jerod Broussard may have some tips for you for profiles/recipes.

Comment

• tbob4
          tbob4 commented
          Editing a comment
          Mr. Bones, thanks. I agree with you 100%. That's why I linked to Jerod to make sure all bases are covered. Even though pulling temps and times are high - I want to make sure the expert chimes in.

• Mr. Bones
          Mr. Bones commented
          Editing a comment
          Sweet Deal tbob4 !!!
          Snake Eater

• tbob4
          tbob4 commented
          Editing a comment
          Mr. Bones - I'm a snake charmer! Hahahahahahaha

Trichinosis is infection caused by the roundworm Trichinella spiralis or another Trichinella roundworm. Symptoms include diarrhea, abdominal cramps, muscle pain, and fever. People acquire the infection by eating raw or undercooked contaminated meat. These parasitic worms are found in animals that eat meat, including pigs, wild boars, and bears. Humans can get trichinosis by eating raw or undercooked meat of animals infected with Trichinella larvae

That is the reason you want to make dang sure it is cooked all the way though!

Comment

You are looking at potentially very lean stuff. You must also remember that pulled pork is really good off the pork butt, but it isn't so good off the ham.

I'd be tempted to cure that sucker and make pastrami out of it.

Comment

• EdF
            EdF commented
            Editing a comment
            That's an interesting idea!

Welcome coolclayton and good luck with the bear! We'd love to get an intro from you over in the Introduce Yourself channel when you get a minute. Thanks.

Comment

I've had bear that was braised to a pullable state that was pretty edible. If the bear roast looked to be lean, I wonder how it would be if injected with broth +/- rendered fat and then proceed as if doing pork butt? Maybe even wrap infoil after stall to preserve moisture.

Comment

Welcome to The Pit! Agree with Jerod, it may be too lean to be really good pulled. If it's analogous to a beef front chuck, fatty & cartilaginous, it could work.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here